Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sgt Blco's USA Coast to Coast 2017

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Enjoying this Cheers Sgt

Keep it coming Chris, Its nice to reminisce about all the places we saw and great people.

Difficult adjusting to work again, ho hum.

Warm regards Andy/Chris

Good report Chris. I always read the reports on your trips to the US and wonder if I can get the time off work to go one year.

Very good. You picked a nice route?

Great read Chris, hope Keith managed without help from the 'Roadcaptain'
    That castle looked like it was inspired by Guadi.

Dream Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by PMVern View Post
    Great read Chris, hope Keith managed without help from the 'Roadcaptain'
    That castle looked like it was inspired by Guadi.
    Inspired by LSD more likely......
    www.unchainedtours.com

"Of all the forces that make for a better world, none is so powerful as hope.
    With hope, one can think, one can work, one can dream.
    If you have hope, you have everything."

http://www.unchainedtours.com

Dream Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyB_11 View Post
    Good report Chris. I always read the reports on your trips to the US and wonder if I can get the time off work to go one year.
    Yellowstone 2019........20 days so only 3 weeks off work. Start getting the piggy bank topped up
    www.unchainedtours.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Bilco View Post
    Yellowstone 2019........20 days so only 3 weeks off work. Start getting the piggy bank topped up
    What sort of cost would a trip like that be?

Dream Maker
    After an excellent evening in a brewery in Canon City we headed up the road to the Royal Gorge. It's basically a wooden bridge which goes over a 1000ft drop to the river and it was built about 20 years ago purely for tourism. It's non teh worse for that and a good spot. We rode across it 2 years ago but for some reason they have stopped people doing that now so you can only walk which is probably a good thing. My memory of creaking wooden boards as I rode across still haunts me. Anyhow, walking across is pretty cool and worth the $15 fee just to watch the fear in peoples eyes. Andrew, Jonathan and myself all admit to being scared of heights so it's a brave decision to stroll across.

The merry band bravely standing on teh bridge. The smiles are hiding the abject fear being felt by some of us and fair play to Andrew especially as he was truly terrified. Took some courage to walk across there but he bought a Honda Crosstourer with DCT so is used to gambling.......

Nice clock.....

So from there we took the back roads across to Pikes Peak and gently wandered along some lovely roads through great scenery.

And then it was onto Pikes Peak which is the highest paved road in the US rising to 14,200ft in pretty short order. Many of you will have seen it on TV with Guy Martin flying up there flat out taking his life in his hands at every corner as there is no run off and no barriers and it's a long way down. The reality of riding up there is very very different. There is a blanket 25mph speed limit to which the doddery yanks insist on adhereing to. There is a rule that you have to let other vehicles pass if there is a line of 3 or over but these dozy sods never use their mirrors so you just have to risk a few overtakes to get some clear road. Eventually you get behind another buffoon in a truck who brakes going into an uphill hairpin at 10 mph and occasionally comes to a complete stop in the corner but never mind, you just look at the view.

Then you get to the top and the views are fantastic even through the cloud which drifts across.

This nice KLR650 managed to wheez it's way up the mountain, but i suspect the motor had been looked at judging by the sticker.

Once again, Jonathan and Andrew braved the fear and stood closer to tehe edge than was comfortable although Andrew was hanging on to Christine pretty tightly.

And then it was time to go down as it's pretty uncomfortable at that altitude. Not just the lack of oxygen but the place was packed.

Fuel up with some lovely non ethonol gas

And a lovely ride across the high plains to Salida to finish an excellent day.

www.unchainedtours.com

Nice but unfortunate husband.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Bilco View Post
    And a lovely ride across the high plains to Salida to finish an excellent day.
    A great wee spot Chris. Is the swimming pool still in the middle of the car park?
    There are two opinions of the GS. There are those who have ridden one who think its fantastic and there are those who haven't who know its crap.

Enjoying this , keep it coming....

I remember that castle, I found it when I was doing my road bit recovering from the big off on the TAT. And long straight roads past oil facilities where you can ride with your eyes closed.

Just caught up with this Chris, reminds me of riding 2000 on the west coast a few years ago, 6 of us.... planning a return next year on the east coast. So following your route with interest....

Ride safe ye all

More please, soon Chris but we will never forget👍

So jealous.
    I enjoyed Pikes Peak back in 2012. On 4 wheels though.
    Twice.
    Once solo.
    Once with my good lady before we went in opposite directions at Denver airport.
    She returned to UK while I headed to Alaska for work.
    It's quite some road.
    I've still got the mug & T shirt from the cafe at the top of the hill.
    Carpe Diem!

Salida

Salida, a great little town that seemed very relaxed with its self. The swimming pool was gone but the new owners of the Circle R are promising some
    upgrades, not everyones top choice but still fond memories none the less. Two nights here so a nice day in town and on the river before we head on again.
    Just gets better all the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast