Thread: Help with registration ??

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Help with registration ??

Many many years ago I inherited from my best friend an BSA B40 WD.
    It came on an "x" registration, presumably from when it was "demobbed" from the army.

In 2002 I spoke to a very nice man at my local DVLA office (Preston, now gone), and he arranged for it to be re registered on an"E" reg, after it being declared manufactured 1967. This is stated on the V5 log book.
    However it also says first registered in the UK 1981 (which I hadn't noticed)

Fast forward to last week, and finally, the bike is up and running and has just passed an MOT. The MOT station saying it's registered 1981.

So I go on line to tax it and it comes up as £41, as I assume it's still seeing the bike as a 1981 vehicle.

Is it difficult (or even worth the hassle) of trying to get it re listed as a 1967 bike (no road tax etc) And how do I best go about it ?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    Many many years ago I inherited from my best friend an BSA B40 WD.
    It came on an "x" registration, presumably from when it was "demobbed" from the army.

In 2002 I spoke to a very nice man at my local DVLA office (Preston, now gone), and he arranged for it to be re registered on an"E" reg, after it being declared manufactured 1967. This is stated on the V5 log book.
    However it also says first registered in the UK 1981 (which I hadn't noticed)

Fast forward to last week, and finally, the bike is up and running and has just passed an MOT. The MOT station saying it's registered 1981.

So I go on line to tax it and it comes up as £41, as I assume it's still seeing the bike as a 1981 vehicle.

Is it difficult (or even worth the hassle) of trying to get it re listed as a 1967 bike (no road tax etc) And how do I best go about it ?

Cheers
    Just send the V5c back to get it listed as historic, simple as that.

I don't think you can change the taxation class until it's actually MOT'd and taxed. You need to tax it then send the V5C back as above and you should get a refund. It does say manufactured 1967 on the V5C doesn't it? Date of first registration will remain as 1981.

Quote Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
    I don't think you can change the taxation class until it's actually MOT'd and taxed. You need to tax it then send the V5C back as above and you should get a refund. It does say manufactured 1967 on the V5C doesn't it? Date of first registration will remain as 1981.
    Yes it says on the V5 declared manufactured 1967. The DVLA gave it the age related plate (That being an "E")
    It was given an "X" when it came out of the Army. I have a photocopy of the original log book which quoted manufactured 1967....

As the man says above
    I've had the same issues with DVLA over a mobylette moped
    payment / washers/ chocolate /teapot. .....you know how it goes

Retired from Riding but making a come back on a motoguzzi

2008 motoguzzi sport
    1986 4/4 Morgan
    1968 mobylette

Yep, spot on Number 6.
    I take my V5 and MOT certificate to the post office. They tax it for me, presumably charging me the £41, then they send it back to the DVLA for it to be changed from a bicycle to "Historic"
    Why you have to pay first, then be refunded seems a bit of a faff, but no doubt, money in the DVLA's bank for a while ....

Good result. I've always fancied a B40 WD, they make a good basis for a trail/trials bike as they have the competition frame, two-way fork damping and wide ratio gearbox. Also, the engine has a forged con-rod, roller main bearing, needle roller big-end and a proper oil filter.

It doesn't need to be taxed, I bought an old landie that hadn't been on the road since the 80s, but was mot'd, it wasn't registered as historic, just sent the V5 back making the change and in a week could tax it for free online.

R1200GSA TB

Quote Originally Posted by w-w View Post
    It doesn't need to be taxed, I bought an old landie that hadn't been on the road since the 80s, but was mot'd, it wasn't registered as historic, just sent the V5 back making the change and in a week could tax it for free online.

R1200GSA TB
    I'll perhaps give that a go then, Cheers ...