Thread: Silent Waypoints & Automatically recalculating to next waypoint

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Silent Waypoints & Automatically recalculating to next waypoint

Hi

I'm planning a trip to Spain for later this year using Basecamp.

Seems fairly easy, but after a bit of experimenting I have a couple of questions.

1. The waypoints I have announce themselves i.e. "Arriving at....". I've heard people use "silent waypoints". How do I change my existing waypoints so that they don't announce?

2. If I miss a waypoint, let's say intentionally, it currently tries to take me back to that waypoint which I can see the benefit of in some circumstances, but when I don't want to and simply want to continue to the next waypoint how do I configure it so that it just recalculated to get me back on my track and heading to the next waypoint? I do know that I can push the icon on the navV screw to do so, but want to avoid taking my hands of the bars to push an icon, particularly with gloves on.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can edit the waypoint in basecamp if you go into route properties and set the waypoint to dont announce, double click the route in the left pane to open route properties,
    Your other question has a few answers and people will suggest different ways, My advice and this is my way of doing things (other people will use a different method) would be to switch off recalculation and when you miss a waypoint just zoom in find your route and make your own way back to it. to a lesser degree it will depend on what model of nav you are using as i believe the later navs can ignore the do not recalculate even when set not to.

Quote Originally Posted by leedude03 View Post
    you can edit the waypoint in basecamp if you go into route properties and set the waypoint to dont announce, double click the route in the left pane to open route properties,.
    Thanks for responding. I was expecting to find something like this, but it isn't there. I'm using a mac. Wonder if that's where my problem is?

If I go into the waypoint properties I don't get an option for this. I've put a photo on ...

go to page 30 here http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp_MAC.pdf and have a good read through and post back, did not realise you were on a mac

Use the "Skip next waypoint" button.
    Grrrizzly

I found the option within Basecamp on a mac to silent the waypoints yesterday. As no one responded successfully how to do this I thought I'd play for someone else in the future.

Attach the Nav
    Browse to the trip in the bottom left hand corner ( indicated by a motorcycle icon)
    Double click it
    Open the way points dialogue box
    Right click the waypoint and set to don't announce.

They are called shaping points. They generally work when you are adding them by drawing the route.

The not announce by right clicking is a good way of working it.

Quote Originally Posted by DottyDog View Post
    I found the option within Basecamp on a mac to silent the waypoints yesterday.

As no one responded successfully how to do this I thought I'd play for someone else in the future.
    Congratulations, you have hit on one of several ways of doing it. Another way is explained in the lengthy link Leedude pointed you in the direction of.

There are other ways too, many of which are revealed in the UKGSer GPS section, including a method that does not require you connecting the GPS device. See if you can find them. But, whilst you have your GPS device to hand, there are also posts / threads on how to change an unannounced shaping point into an announced waypoint (and visa-versa) from within the device itself. A useful skill to learn.