Gear shift Pro

Mine has it as a retrofit and I have ridden r1200gs/r1200gsa and r1200r models fitted with it and it is a imho gimmick, I can do smoother and quicker changes using the clutch .

I agree you can do smoother gear changes using the clutch at slow speeds.

Remember Gear Shift Assist isn't a replacement to an automatic gearbox. I think people make this mistake setting up wrong expectations.

Its purely designed for fast gear-changes at wide open throttle, and maximum engine braking on downshifts. It's primary use was for the racetrack.

BUT, it is also very effective on the road WHEN you want to use it. Its not compulsory on every gear change. But you do need to learn how they work to get the best out of them.

If you bimble around don't get one.

:thumb2

Cheers for the info.

Maybe on my next bike. To tell the truth I kind of like blipping on the downshift and braking at the same time. Makes me feel like a racer :D

Cheers for the info.

Maybe on my next bike. To tell the truth I kind of like blipping on the downshift and braking at the same time. Makes me feel like a racer :D

Keep the skill for as long as possible :beerjug:

Gear Shift Assist Pro awaits... :D

Cheers for the info.

Racers have quick shifters !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hoping that it improves as has been mentioned after a few more thousand miles (or do they change something at the service) , as 2 to 3rd is harsh. Almost a jolt.
It takes bit of training too, as I'm used too dropping the throttle to change clutchless.
However 3-6 is linear and at full chat is very rapid, and addictive.

Did know I needed it but getting used too it and it does make a more fluid ride.

Going down is also something that needs a bit of practice using front brake and not just rear.

R1200GSA TB

The Emperors New Gearchange

You've been told its the greatest thing since the last one.
You know that it will make you ride like Rossi.
You can make the change noises in your head.
It's the Dog's.

Actually it's bollocks.
Waste of money.
Shit changes.
Instead on getting on with it you concentrate on trying to get it right.

Save the money and buy a load of petrol.

You've been told its the greatest thing since the last one.
You know that it will make you ride like Rossi.
You can make the change noises in your head.
It's the Dog's.

Actually it's bollocks.
Waste of money.
Shit changes.
Instead on getting on with it you concentrate on trying to get it right.

Save the money and buy a load of petrol.

So you can't figure out how to use it then ?

Do you have one? Because I don't recognise any of the above.
It was standard fit on my late 2016 TE Alpine, and I doubt I'd have ticked the option or retrofitted it tbh. However, whilst the revised gearbox is already really very nice in 'conventional' use with the clutch, it does add an option. I avoid using it through Neutral in either direction, though whether it is claimed to work well there I don't know. Outside of that, upshifts when on the throttle are faster so I may use them when accelerating hard. It's not revolutionary, but it's fine. Downshifting to be in the right gear to get more tractability is not what it's for and a conventional change is what's called got there, so you can't criticise it for that.. Clutchless downshifts, however, are an outstanding addition when using engine breaking. They're very smooth both from a rider point of view and from that of traction. Used as an additional tool in the box (no pun intended) it's a very 'nice to have' in my view.

I bought a 63 plate with it fitted by a previous owner. Once I had learnt how to use it correctly I can't fault it.

You do not have to be going at full chat to get the benefit on upshifts - 2nd to 3rd at around 30 is perfectly smooth as long as you are still accelerating. Try it on a neutral throttle and it will clunk. Also I can go from 2nd to 1st when braking and be smooth - just need to be firm with the lever and make sure the throttle is closed.

It's a useful tool to have when used correctly.

BTW, I didn't know it was there when I bought the bike and would not pay the best part of £500 to have one supplied and fitted.

I paid to have it retrofitted to my 14 GSA and I've no regrets.
Most of my riding is done with a pillion and I find it much smoother since having the gsap fitted.
It took a little bit of learning (not much) but when I got the hang of it, I thought it was money well spent.
It might not be for everyone, but it's an option I'd go for every time from now on.

Then I think you need a 2nd opinion

Pick a bike off their forecourt that has GSAP and is the same model & model year as yours then compare the operation

If they were all as bad as you say yours is then they'd never sell a bike with GSAP fitted

Then I think you need a 2nd opinion..........

If they were all as bad as you say yours is then they'd never sell a bike with GSAP fitted

Agreed. I found it a little bit firm on my 2014 GSA, much improved on my 2017 GSA TB. The HP4 only has it going one way - up through the box, which is disappointing but rapid nonetheless, and creamy smooth on my K1600GT Sport.

IMO if DEFINITELY adds to the riding experience and I would want it on all of my bikes in the future.

Mine does not shift on zero throttle, is there a problem.?
If I'm off throttle but bimbling along and want to change up it will not shift.

Does it need bedding in, I might be imaging it but it's starting to get less harsh/jolt between 2-3 but no where near as smooth as 3-4-5-6. Going up.
No problem going down, even to 1st.

Might ask to take a bike out.

R1200GSA TB

Mine does not shift on zero throttle, is there a problem.?
If I'm off throttle but bimbling along and want to change up it will not shift.

Does it need bedding in, I might be imaging it but it's starting to get less harsh/jolt between 2-3 but no where near as smooth as 3-4-5-6. Going up.
No problem going down, even to 1st.

Might ask to take a bike out.

R1200GSA TB

I think the idea is you have an open, accelerating throttle. Mine works going up but needs a hefty lift to make it change.

OMG I'm actually going to set up a Quickshifter School.

Back
Top Bottom