IDEAS PLEASE!

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Following the spill, going to rebuild the 1150 Adv, but wondering how to shed some weight so she'll be lighter when finished....or is it just they are going to be heavy regardless - zorst and servo already gone.

If I can't shed a significant amunt, then I'll get the scratched up bits done and get something lighter. CCM Adv perhaps (yes, much smaller, but much lighter - or Xchallenge).

Standard 1150 tank,
Change to twin seat set-up and run without the rear seat
Alloys? Are they lighter?
Ditch the standard can and add a short pipe
If you use panniers, get a set of Verna as super light and far better than the standard BMW boxes.

I found my beloved GS1150 a bit lardy off road so have bought a KTM 690 Enduro - about 100 kg lighter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you likely to sell your back box?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

What do you mean by 'my back box' ? please. I think I might end up selling BOTH 1150 Adventures, keeping my X650 country and spending some money on getting it accessorised better - upgrade the suspension both ends would make a big difference. Done the seat and it is lovely and comfy, even for 500 miledays, now.

I would like something as nice and light as the CCM 450, but I am sceptible about that little 450 motor for long trips, if I could turn the Xco into something similar to the CCM it would be fantastic - put the 650 Rotax in the CCM, that would be a fabulous machine with the extra tank range and wonderful suspension.

Oh, and I don't want all the computerised crap they put on modern bikes. I want something basic and easy to work on - like the Xco, or CCM 450.

Go on a diet :D

I am already a trim, racing snake! The weight of the 1150 - or even a F800 - worries me now. Itis lovely to ride, the commanding visability, road presence etc, but I don't know if I will repair strong enough to deal with it when I get back out.....confidence has taken a big hit. Not confidence to ride, just confidence to cope with the big weight.

Time to realign priorities.

Sounds like it's all about confidence which either a lighter bike or the opportunity to build yourself up superstrong and that can be quite an incentive in your recovery :)

Sounds like it's all about confidence which either a lighter bike or the opportunity to build yourself up superstrong and that can be quite an incentive in your recovery :)

Bit of both, I expect. :aidan

I shall take Micky and Phooey up on their offers of help with riding confidence, I shall be well prepared for total bollocking from both of them following an observed ride! That is, unless they get bored and fall asleep with my pedestrian progress. I hope their slow riding skills are up to scratch. :rob

Back
Top Bottom