Fork Stanchion recall?

This what my dealer (Bowkers, Preston) told me, a pair of sleeves have been ordered against my name, when they arrive in stock they will contact me and book me in to have them fitted.

Well it took 4 months for the parts to arrive. On Friday I got a text saying the parts were in, had them fitted today.

Bob

^^^^ Is this a pop at BMW? A big up for the dealer? Neither? Both? Something else?

^^^^ Is this a pop at BMW? A big up for the dealer? Neither? Both? Something else?

Neither, just a statement of fact.
The system worked, they said they'd order some against my name and contact me when they were in.
They did exactly that.
Bowker's handled it well. Unlike some dealers who, as reported on here, expected their customers to keep checking with them whether they had the sleeves/collars in stock.

Bob

Neither, just a statement of fact.
The system worked, they said they'd order some against my name and contact me when they were in.
They did exactly that.
Bowker's handled it well. Unlike some dealers who, as reported on here, expected their customers to keep checking with them whether they had the sleeves/collars in stock.

Bob

Glad to hear your dealer came up to the mark. So did mine. I wonder if we're on the wrong forum? I like my LC too, so I probably am. :)

So done and dusted, but is this a plaster to cover a cut, the 2 collars look really solid, will they do the job, or should BMW have change the stanchions to the new one,s on the after August 2017 date production bikes, just waking up the dead I suppose.

So done and dusted, but is this a plaster to cover a cut, the 2 collars look really solid, will they do the job, or should BMW have change the stanchions to the new one,s on the after August 2017 date production bikes, just waking up the dead I suppose.

I am sure the collars are fine - I will look under the rubber sleeves on my 2018 bike when I get it on the 17th and see how different the fork tops are.

2018 models have a rolled crimp around the full circumference of the stanchion

2018 models have a rolled crimp around the full circumference of the stanchion

Yep I had a good look at the new bikes on the showroom floor, I thought they looked like my May 2017 model, but obviously there is a little difference, so which will prove to be the strongest, collar or new stanchion crimped :blast

Yep I had a good look at the new bikes on the showroom floor, I thought they looked like my May 2017 model, but obviously there is a little difference, so which will prove to be the strongest, collar or new stanchion crimped :blast

Going back to the pre 2013 system of having a threaded top cap that never caused any problems HAD proved the strongest (albeit more expensive option)

not read all these posts but I came across an interesting TSB site today (although Neil W's post 809 is correct)

fork tubes are now on v4 with thicker sidewall to the tubes

https://www.tsbsearch.com/BMW-Motorcycle/SI-31-001-18

Version 4:
Description
Version 4 fixed fork tubes have a pressed in seal plug with a 360° comprehensive crimp.
In comparison to Version 2 fixed fork tubes, the tube wall thickness and the length of the crimp were increased.

V4 parts became available from
R 1200 GS (K50): From mid-June 2017 to current
R 1200 GS Adventure (K51): From mid-June 2017 to current

Retrospective installation as an alternative for Version 1-3 is not planned. Installation is however, technically possible.

Part numbers
31 42 8 393 007 Fixed fork tube K50, K51
31 42 8 393 003 Left gold fork leg K50
31 42 8 393 004 Right gold fork leg K50
31 42 8 393 005 Left black fork leg K50, K51
31 42 8 393 006 Right black fork leg K50, K51

Back
Top Bottom