Fork Stanchion recall?

Mine wasn't done when I got mine at the end of July but was done a month ago after I complained to BMW as we were off on a trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pick my new bike up tomorrow , lets see if it has collars fitted or will it be subject to a safety recall

New bikes don't have the retro fit collars. Tube is crimped all the way round. My GS July build delivered August.

New bikes don't have the retro fit collars. Tube is crimped all the way round. My GS July build delivered August.

Was in the dealers 4 weeks ago and a new GS Rallye was delivered from the BMW PDI centre, it was fitted with collars fitted

So whilst my bike is in with Vines for a scheduled service, they are, once again, not fitting collars despite this being the 2nd time the bike is with them (the 1st being recalled for the collars to be fitted but they claim they were out of stock!). So it will require a 3rd visit to them sometime in the future which is, quite frankly, a right PITA. Has anyone been successful in getting Vines to fit the collars?

Unless you do lots of off-roading or already have a problem, then what is the rush to get the collars fitted?

No rush, but it's a PITA when the dealership is 35 miles away necessitating extra trips there instead of them just fitting them whilst the bike is with them for a scheduled service. The fact that there is a global recall and they seem unable to supply parts to address it is very poor from BMW.

No rush, but it's a PITA when the dealership is 35 miles away necessitating extra trips there instead of them just fitting them whilst the bike is with them for a scheduled service. The fact that there is a global recall and they seem unable to supply parts to address it is very poor from BMW.

I understand but the recall says to fit bikes which have a problem, the vast majority don't.

I understand but the recall says to fit bikes which have a problem, the vast majority don't.

I believe the recall says to replace stanchions with new ones pre-fitted with the collar if the originals have moved enough to give a gap of (I think 0.2mm), but the collars are to be fitted to the original stanchions of all bikes which do not show any movement above the specified limit - this is presumably a precautionary measure to eliminate the possibility of separation in the future.

Fred

I believe the recall says to replace stanchions with new ones pre-fitted with the collar if the originals have moved enough to give a gap of (I think 0.2mm), but the collars are to be fitted to the original stanchions of all bikes which do not show any movement above the specified limit - this is presumably a precautionary measure to eliminate the possibility of separation in the future.

Fred
That's my understanding, and Vines have said they will install the collars, but they seem to lack stock or are prioritising who gets what they have.

All bikes whether they have gaps or not will have the collars fitted, on any where the gap is over the prescribed limit will have the new modified stanchions fitted

Fred

You may be right, but additionally my information says that forks sliders will be replaced with the new design - so as I do not have and do not envisage a problem I am going to wait for the neater fix.

You may be right, but additionally my information says that forks sliders will be replaced with the new design - so as I do not have and do not envisage a problem I am going to wait for the neater fix.

Well, you may have seen different information to me, but I don't believe the sliders/stanchions will be replaced at all unless they show signs of separation. If they have started to separate, then they will most likely be replaced with the current design to which collars have been pre-fitted. I guess if BMW eventually run out of stock of these, which may not be for some time due to the apparently low separation rate, and they have a new version (rumoured to have gone back to a threaded design) then you might get lucky and get these, but only if your existing ones have started to separate.

I therefore suggest you wait until you are absolutely sure that the new design is being used, then go out and abuse the bike such that a gap appears, and present it to the dealer for the replacements to be fitted. :duck:

Back
Top Bottom