Optimate 4 - use on a car?

BigAlEly

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As it says, can I use an optimate 4 to charge/recondition my battery in my car, using the croc clips?

Any advice is welcome... and piss taking:beerjug:

Thnx fellas, much appreciated.. Al :thumby:

Works no problem on any battery that's 12 volt - my mini has a stop start funny (expensive) battery and initially it seems to confuse it but then it charges fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thnx BV, my battery had worn down, so my stop-start function wasn't kicking in... so just dying to boost it back up... on charge over night. Will let you know if it works out.
:beerjug:

Yes, recovered a dead, not even clickety click, 11 v , probably sulphated battery on my sorn'd car and battery still good and holding its charge. In fact 12.5 V (75%) when checked yesterday after standing for for 2 weeks, so very pleased. Optimate seems to have intelligently repaired the battery.

Thnx BV, my battery had worn down, so my stop-start function wasn't kicking in... so just dying to boost it back up... on charge over night. Will let you know if it works out.
:beerjug:

I hate the start/stop function on my car and usually remember to turn it off when I start the engine. When I don't it always seems to cut out at the wrong time. Bloody dangerous in my openion and can't be doing the engine any good.

I hate the start/stop function on my car and usually remember to turn it off when I start the engine. When I don't it always seems to cut out at the wrong time. Bloody dangerous in my openion and can't be doing the engine any good.

Agreed :thumb

I agree with you... mines a manual gearbox and there are times on the commute when it's fine to leave it in neutral and let the s/s do its thing, most of the time it's in gear so it never cuts out at the wrong time. My old man has a merc auto and it's a right pain on that...:rob

FYI . Stop Start on several new cars no longer uses a conventional , tooth wearing , starter motor ; the alternator has a built in cranking function , when demanded . Do you know how your stop start works ?
Agree , it's usually an intolerable delay , but on one of my cars it's so fast in operation that it's actually not noticeable.

My Polo GTDI and the Corrado before it were toys that were only used infrequently, both had Optimate leads permanently fitted to the battery and were left on charge for weeks if not months on end without any problems

Yes, it worked well.. overnight charge and the car battery is 100% charged and the stop start worked instantly.

Thnx fellas:beerjug:

On the wifes A3 went into the menu on VCDS diagnostic and turned off the stop start facility

Yes, it worked well.. overnight charge and the car battery is 100% charged and the stop start worked instantly.

Thnx fellas:beerjug:

On the wifes A3 went into the menu on VCDS diagnostic and turned off the stop start facility

didn't know you could do that... but I am happy with it as I spend quite a bit of my commute in traffic jams:beerjug::D

Back
Top Bottom