Test rode a 1290 SA S today

cheesestraw19

Reaction score
Was a bit disappointing, to be honest.

The bike felt very heavy - like all the weight was at the top of the bike. Slow speed steering was hard work and the bike wasn't comfortable at town speeds at all. I also found the clutch bite point very narrow and the throttle response a bit jerky. Lots of vibes from the engine through the bars and seat - my pillion hated it.

On the plus side, it did go well and went around corners when at speed very well too. The dash was excellent as were the brakes. Gear changes were nice and crisp - it didn't have the quickshifter but I didn't feel like I was missing it.

Will be demoing a GSA later this week - even just sitting on one in the dealership it felt so much lighter and better balanced, which is weird seeing as it's heavier!

Hi cheesestraw,

You dont say what bike you have presently for the comparison.

I have just traded a GS LC for my SA S, and am finding it lighter and more nimble. Yes it has more vibes than my Blackbird, but then it is a twin pot 1300.

Try the XR1000. It has the performance, albeit with vibes in the bars, but is very light and agile. I liked it except for the BM badge, as I've had it with their build quality, corrosion and complacent dealers.

Chris

Was a bit disappointing, to be honest

Me too... tried both an S and an R and I couldn't believe the vibes (although both bikes had only done 100-200 miles so probably get better).
I didn't think the engine sounded that great, especially at low speed with a whistling kind of noise.

Pretty gutted really because after all the great reviews I thought it was gonna be brilliant.
For comparison I've got a Speed Triple R and KTM 690 Enduro/SM... might try a Multistrada instead

How big can you make a highly tuned twin and keep it civilised?
1301cc has 2 great big pistons, (why isn't it called the 1301=S)?
The LC GS needs a lot of balancing to make it smooth.
Probably 1000cc is the ideal size for a V twin.
I haven't had a test ride of the 1290 S yet.
I would like to try the 950 Multi as well, they are getting good reviews and probably a better balanced engine than the 1198 engine.
Anyone got one?

How big can you make a highly tuned twin and keep it civilised?
1301cc has 2 great big pistons, (why isn't it called the 1301=S)?
The LC GS needs a lot of balancing to make it smooth.
Probably 1000cc is the ideal size for a V twin.
I haven't had a test ride of the 1290 S yet.
I would like to try the 950 Multi as well, they are getting good reviews and probably a better balanced engine than the 1198 engine.
Anyone got one?

IIRC, someone here got one, but it had a scratched petrol cap, so we never got to find out what he thought about the actual bike!:D

Like others i had many GS / GSA's before the 1290 SA S. I am more than pleased i bought the KTM.
Yes the GS is an easier ride and more boring, sure its a well designed motor cycle in many ways with a long long pedigree. But if you want a bike to make you smile, then its the KTM every day. Don't find it Vibey, but found the XR BMW was awful for vibes. IMHO, even the 17 model.

I am sure the BMW gs will get a great upgrade soon.

+2

I think the KTM 1190 I have is much smoother than my (Air Cooled) 1200GS was, also much more powerful even in the mid range and really makes the GS look sluggish up top, for solo use it is as comfy, and noticeably much lighter, did I mention better handling and with suspension that is in a different league to any other OE suspension I have sampled.

Unless the LC GS is 50kg lighter, with 40 BHP more than my old GS I would say it is no contest - and from what all the guys here swapping the 1190's for 1290's they all seem to think the new 1290 is better in a number of areas, and no worse at anything - already top of my "next bike list"

Was a bit disappointing, to be honest.

The bike felt very heavy - like all the weight was at the top of the bike. Slow speed steering was hard work and the bike wasn't comfortable at town speeds at all. I also found the clutch bite point very narrow and the throttle response a bit jerky. Lots of vibes from the engine through the bars and seat - my pillion hated it.

On the plus side, it did go well and went around corners when at speed very well too. The dash was excellent as were the brakes. Gear changes were nice and crisp - it didn't have the quickshifter but I didn't feel like I was missing it.

Will be demoing a GSA later this week - even just sitting on one in the dealership it felt so much lighter and better balanced, which is weird seeing as it's heavier!

My pillion hated it as well and was glad we took it back early, very disappointed after reviews

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Each to their own. I for one wouldn't go back to a GS again unless it was an airhead, and then only as a second bike.

I've gone from an 1190 to a '16 1290 SA - which for me is even nicer, smoother, more tractable and easier to ride. And an absolute hoot-. If the 1190 is equivalent to an M3, the 1290 is like an M5 Touring.

640e543bc003fe70b3136e9627d45234.jpg

d7ede345eab1a9f3e533fe49700d960a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Test rides often don't give the best impressions, after many miles you are used to your own bike and tend to pick up on differences and can dislike them just because they are not what you are used to. Bikes are like new shoes, they can take a while to settle on you.

I think this can be even worse with a Pillion who has got used to the old bike and will find any other bike a bit alien.

I spent half hour testing the 1190 as I knew the performance and handling would be fine and just wanted to see how it was pottering around on narrow back lanes and check the general ergonomics and comfort....

....which immediately threw up how shite the seat is, KTM fitting a shite seat just so they can upsell you a decent one is a self harming move IMO, they have to sell a lot of £250 Ergo seat sets to make up for one person not buying a £14k bike due to comfort being crap.

My Mrs still reckons my old GS was the best two-up bike, but soon got used to the Super Tenere - and reckons it was a close 2nd, hard for her to fairly evaluate the 1190 as she is now used to riding her own bike but on the one short trip she did on it she reckoned it was definitely behind the GS - but my GS also had a load of extra foam courtesy of Tony Archer and at the time I had not got hold of the Ergo seats.

Interesting comments - looks like the SA S is a bit of a 'marmite' bike. To be fair, i'm used to riding a FZ6 which of course is completely different to these big adventure bikes. I'll report back after I have tried the GS/GSA. I might also try the MV Turismo as it could be a good middle ground between what I have and what I want!

To be fair, i'm used to riding a FZ6 which of course is completely different to these big adventure bikes. I'll report back after I have tried the GS/GSA. I might also try the MV Turismo as it could be a good middle ground between what I have and what I want!

Well that is a factor for sure, you will probably find as you test more adventure bikes you will start to get used to them - which may give the impression the last one you ride is the best and the first one the worst.

Don't feel shy about asking for another ride, or a long test ride, I did not gel with a GS (having gone along on a ZZR1400) after the usual 30 minute "test ride" but the dealer offered another go when I said I did not like it and said I need to spend more time on it - he was right, a couple of hours on another day and I really liked it (and bought one)

I would also advise trying it on the sort of roads you might avoid on your current bike, this is what sold an adventure bike to me, all the A / B roads near me are very congested, I slipped off onto the unclassified roads when testing the GS and found myself with the road to myself, single track lanes became fun as well.

There is also an adjustment to big twins after years on a big four, just getting used to using the rev range "properly", they wont rev like a four up top, or be as smooth off the bottom, but they deliver much better real world performance with huge dollops of mid range.

The GS is an awesome bike 95% of the time, but (for me) cannot really excite on the other 5% when you want to get a move on / embarrass some knob in an Audi etc.

The MV looks stunning and I bet is a great solo hooligan bike, but cannot see it being a decent two-up tourer.

Also check out the Mulitstrada (if the MV does not scare you with regard to servicing and reliability then neither should the Ducati) and also see if you can get a test on the Aprillia thingy - the V4 "adventure bike" which gets good reviews and also might be more like what you are used to - as well as a bit different....

...the ride the KTM again and decide it is actually the best bike.

Well that is a factor for sure, you will probably find as you test more adventure bikes you will start to get used to them - which may give the impression the last one you ride is the best and the first one the worst.

Don't feel shy about asking for another ride, or a long test ride, I did not gel with a GS (having gone along on a ZZR1400) after the usual 30 minute "test ride" but the dealer offered another go when I said I did not like it and said I need to spend more time on it - he was right, a couple of hours on another day and I really liked it (and bought one)

I would also advise trying it on the sort of roads you might avoid on your current bike, this is what sold an adventure bike to me, all the A / B roads near me are very congested, I slipped off onto the unclassified roads when testing the GS and found myself with the road to myself, single track lanes became fun as well.

There is also an adjustment to big twins after years on a big four, just getting used to using the rev range "properly", they wont rev like a four up top, or be as smooth off the bottom, but they deliver much better real world performance with huge dollops of mid range.

The GS is an awesome bike 95% of the time, but (for me) cannot really excite on the other 5% when you want to get a move on / embarrass some knob in an Audi etc.

The MV looks stunning and I bet is a great solo hooligan bike, but cannot see it being a decent two-up tourer.

Also check out the Mulitstrada (if the MV does not scare you with regard to servicing and reliability then neither should the Ducati) and also see if you can get a test on the Aprillia thingy - the V4 "adventure bike" which gets good reviews and also might be more like what you are used to - as well as a bit different....

...the ride the KTM again and decide it is actually the best bike.

The Capanord is a twin not a four , If it was a V4 I would have had one by now :)

What about all new 2015 Yamaha R1, if I am not dreaming it is the year of the lord 2017.

Not comparable to your bike, this review is the Super Adventure now known as super adventure T .

I was gonna say!:D

What's a review of the SA T doing in our SA S thread!:rob:blast:p

Back
Top Bottom