Thread: 3 day trip

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

3 day trip

Hi Guys

3 of us are heading over from Ireland for a long weekend and plan to travel in the Yorkshire Dales \ Lake District area. We arrive on
    Thursday evening an then will have 3 full days (Friday - Sunday) and a bit of Monday before heading back to the Ferry in Cairnryan for Monday afternoon.

So far the agenda only includes a peek at part of Hadrians Wall, and a scoot over the hardknott Pass!

All other suggestion \ routes would be most appreciated - we are happy enough to do 5-6 hours riding each day and a bit of gravel wouldn't scare us either!!

Cheers in advance

Macker

Just a suggestion but if your going to do the Hardknott Pass I would do it on the Friday, it'll still be busy but not as much as Saturday or Sunday.
    Be helpful if you say where your staying, peeps can then sugest routes around your base.
    Skipton, Slaidburn, Devils Bridge, Dent, Hawes, Leyburn, Masham, Pateley Bridge, would be a good day out and a mixture of roads with great scenery.
    The older I get, the better I was

Cheers jacal. Good advice! Haven't firmed up on where to stay yet..would rather decide what to do first and plan overnights around that.

I think the general consensus is that the Yorkshire Dales/Moors are better for motorcycling than the lake district. The chap to talk to is Johnny Boxer - maybe send him a PM.

Have a good trip

Quote Originally Posted by Jacal View Post
    Just a suggestion but if your going to do the Hardknott Pass I would do it on the Friday, it'll still be busy but not as much as Saturday or Sunday.
    Take in Wrynose as well. The earlier in the morning the better as you won't have to deal with dithering tourists so less stop/start shennanigans!
    Last time I did it before 9.30 am and all I saw saw on the roads were a few walkers, couple of cyclists, lazy sheep and some meandering cows.....

I think the general consensus is that the Yorkshire Dales/Moors are better for motorcycling than the lake district.
    I tend to agree

Lakes is not so good in the summer as it gets so bloody busy I would head for the Dales instead and then head up towards Moffat and have a scoot round that area its super
    Just a Prospect at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    Lakes is not so good in the summer as it gets so bloody busy I would head for the Dales instead and then head up towards Moffat and have a scoot round that area its super
    If you come in to the Lakes from the north, head to Keswick, over Honister and round Butteremere. Then out to the coast road to Gosforth before visiting Wasdale Head (prettiest place in England), then over the Hardknott and Wrynose passes, turn left into Langdale (second prettiest place in England). Don't ride down the east side of Windermere as the traffic is hellish in summer. Follow the signs to the Hawkshead ferry and cross Windermere further south

Then head into Kendal and follow the signs for Sedburgh which takes you straight into the Dales
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here's something for you to look at:

Leyburn to Reeth via Grinton Moor,

Reeth to Muker on the B6270,

Left onto the Buttertubs Pass to Hawes,

Hawes to Ribblehead on the B6255,

At the Ribblehead Viaduct left onto the B6479 to Settle,

Settle to Skipton on the A65,

Left on the B6265 towards Grassington, picking up the B6160 through Kilnsey and Kettlewell to West Burton.

Right on the A684 to Wensley, right in Wensley to pick up the Middleham road.

Left in Middleham on the A6108 to Masham,

B6267 to Skipton On Swale picking up the A61 to Thirsk, then the A170 to Sutton Bank and Helmsley.

In Helmsley, take the B1257 to Stokesley, left in Stokesley to Hutton Rudby and on to Crathorne.

Crathorne to Kirklevington then left on the B1264 to the junction with the A167. Right and then left on the B1263 to Scorton and on to Richmond.

In Richmond take the A6108 back to Leyburn.

Not sure how many miles that is but it would fill a few hours and show you plenty. Golden Lion in Leyburn is down to earth but has good pub food. 01969 622161. http://www.goldenlionleyburn.co.uk

Incidentally, I see you hail from Sligo ? My Dad was born and bred there, he was the Son of the Village Policeman in Curry.

Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    If you come in to the Lakes from the north, head to Keswick, over Honister and round Butteremere. Then out to the coast road to Gosforth before visiting Wasdale Head (prettiest place in England), then over the Hardknott and Wrynose passes, turn left into Langdale (second prettiest place in England). Don't ride down the east side of Windermere as the traffic is hellish in summer. Follow the signs to the Hawkshead ferry and cross Windermere further south

Then head into Kendal and follow the signs for Sedburgh which takes you straight into the Dales
    Great Photo sven and the route
    The older I get, the better I was

Quote Originally Posted by KMD View Post
    Incidentally, I see you hail from Sligo ? My Dad was born and bred there, he was the Son of the Village Policeman in Curry.
    A small world, as they say! My mother (alive and well in her 80s) was born in Curry! What's your dads (and presumably your!!) surname?

Quote Originally Posted by macker1974 View Post
    A small world, as they say! My mother (alive and well in her 80s) was born in Curry! What's your dads (and presumably your!!) surname?
    My Dad is also in his 80's, they probably went to school together, and swam in the 'Curry pool' (river !) He is called Danial McDonnell, he had Brothers and Sisters, I can't recall all their names but one was Michael and another was Theresa (Terry) and Eileen. They all left in the 50's and settled in the Midlands (Nottingham, Donnington areas) to find work. Small world indeed.

3 day trip

Quote Originally Posted by KMD View Post

Settle to Skipton on the A65,

Left on the B6265 towards Grassington, picking up the B6160 through Kilnsey and Kettlewell to West Burton.
    I generally avoid the A65 and take the equally fast but much prettier routes

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve

2006 K1200S > 2009 R1200GS MU > 2012 R1200RT SE > 2014 R1200GS LC

Thanks Steve, I'll get that bit in next time I ride this route.

Hi Macker,

As has been said the lakes can be very busy at this time of year and whilst it's nice to do the passes, there is no real easy way to get between them apart from very busy roads and the passes will be busy.

I would think Sven's suggestion is as good as it gets.

KMD has some good suggestions, but I would definitely miss the A65.

Have a search on the site for the 21 Dales route, it's a couple of hundred mile route through the Dales which takes in a bit of everything.

Have a good look at the North Pennines around Alston there are some fabulous, fabulous roads around that area.

If you get time the North Yorks Moors are also worth a visit.

If you're looking for an overnight in the Dales, Dent is a great place to stay ( Same place as Micky's 'Dent Do' ) Quite village with a couple of nice pubs.

Edit...Just realised, as usual I'm a bit late to the party.