Oil on Road - Near Crash

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Out yesterday on my trusty GSA.... Watch the video !!

Police Officer warning me to slow down, this was good advice.

I didn't know at the time why he was telling me to slow down, but the right hand turn lane was covered in spilled engine oil.

Me and my four mates were all turning right straight onto it.

I hope my advanced riding skills would have spotted this without the Police Officers warning, but I would have been trapped at speed with traffic either side of me. So it would have been very dangerous.

Thankfully, I spotted it, kept left. Parked the bike and RAN back up the road to warn my other mates. Got there just in time to stop them (one on a brand new Ducati Multistrada !!)

One biker had already crashed !! :barf

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LxMeHNusdAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If I'd have gone down, at least I would have had my video footage as evidence.

Can't believe my camera's have only been on a few days and this shit :bow

Evidence for what? Who do you claim off? Or - should the Police have stayed on the scene to warn other users?

Out of interest - is your VIRB connected through a NAV 6? I like the instrumentation detail, but suspect that it will only be NAV 6 which gives that (or does NAV V also do this?)

Al

Evidence for what? Who do you claim off? Or - should the Police have stayed on the scene to warn other users?
Al

Right around the corner on that Junction is a Scrap Metal Dealer (so they would be a prime suspect), this wasn't a small spill, it was a massive loss of used engine oil. You could literally follow the oil drips right back into their yard up the road.!!

Secondly, the Highways Agency have a responsibility to keep the roads safe.

Thirdly, that Police Motorcyclist had reported the incident to control, and 10 MINUTES later a Patrol Car arrived to block that part of the road.

I'd have pinned them all up on this one, absolute disgrace.

But in that time, this junction was unmarked except by ME... WAVING MY ARMS like a loony warning other motorcyclists :blast:blast

Out of interest - is your VIRB connected through a NAV 6? I like the instrumentation detail, but suspect that it will only be NAV 6 which gives that (or does NAV V also do this?)

Al

All information on this thread http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/451559-Navigator-VI-and-Garmin-Virb-XE-Camera

In summary, Yes it connects to my Nav 6, but unsure at moment if it also connects to Nav 5

Its not the Nav that provides the data, its the Virb XE camera and an OBD2 ELM327 Bluetooth Connector that provides all the data

Secondly, the Highways Agency have a responsibility to keep the roads safe.

Thirdly, that Police Motorcyclist had reported the incident to control, and 10 MINUTES later a Patrol Car arrived to block that part of the road.

I'd have pinned them all up on this one, absolute disgrace.

:blast:blast

The highways have a reasonable duty of care , they can't be patrolling every mile of roadway every minute of the days in case somebody spills something .

However why didn't the bike mounted cop stay at the scene until a car arrived or the local authorities ?

The highways have a reasonable duty of care , they can't be patrolling every mile of roadway every minute of the days in case somebody spills something .

However why didn't the bike mounted cop stay at the scene until a car arrived or the local authorities ?

Yeah, you tell that to McDonalds when they got sue'd for someone slipping on their own drink spill.

Its not that they have to be patrolling every inch, but this was reported and then left unattended. I'm not arguing with you, It didn't involve me directly, I'm just showing that camera's on your bike can be useful in gathering evidence.

If the cops say it was manned, it wasn't entirely. If the cops say they didn't know about it, they did. If the scrap yard denies anything, the oil trail leads straight into their yard !!

Here's the next portion in the video, draw your own conclusions.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hFfx5oddQuA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wonder if the scrap yard could be prosecuted for failing to secure their load?

It probably wasn't one of their trucks, it'll be a truck visiting their yard. But they'll have timestamps of deliveries and what type of load (oil) etc.

So they'll at least be able to point to the culprit.

Anyways, it wasn't mean't to be a Dr Watson, Sherlock Holmes type thing, just how useful camera's can be. :thumb2

You could if required - probably prove that truck A dropped the oil. The highways agency or whoever on council - can only act if they know about it, and have had a chance to rectify it.

The copper should, I believe have stayed there until the oil had been dealt with. It was entirely foreseeable that another car or bike could have ended up in the traffic on the other lane - due to the hazard.

Thanks for info on VIRB
Al

Have to agree about the Police motorcyclist staying at scene,even if he had called for support,it's a duty of care/safety issue. Only had to wait for a car with cones to arrive.
Waiting for highways to turn up to do something about it can be a pain because they can take forever.
At least you stayed Warlord, many wouldn't have.

Your bike is rattling a lot, is ok Warlord?

Its ok thanks, ironically it needed 250ml of oil top up haha. Done it this evening.

Done 3000 miles since Run-In service so its used a bit.

Have to agree about the Police motorcyclist staying at scene,even if he had called for support,it's a duty of care/safety issue. Only had to wait for a car with cones to arrive.
Waiting for highways to turn up to do something about it can be a pain because they can take forever.
At least you stayed Warlord, many wouldn't have.

A patrol car turned up shortly afterwards to mark the junction, so it gave bikers a chance.

Could have been an expensive right turn that.

Imagine in the dark!!!!

Back
Top Bottom