Panniers & Top box advice

Bob Jeffries

It's good to be back ..
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having had GS's for 14 years circumstances forced a 3 year GS gap (with an old 1999 Varadero). But today I went to Cotswold Motorrad and bought a new shiny Triple Black GSA to collect next Saturday.

I now have to get a set of panniers, a top box (with backrest) and a Navigator 5 or 6 (will be selling a 660).

Can fellow GS'ers please offer advice on the panniers & top box - are the B*W ones OK, and where's the best/cheapest place to get them?

Thanks in advance
Bob Jeffries

Cheapest would have been to do a deal on BMW cases before signing for the bike, I suspect.

Holan panniers are quality - better than the BMW ones.

Al

Congratulations on the new bike. Chester motorrad usually so good deals on ex demo panniers. Call up and check with them.

Also, for the top box, if you ride alone, go for the bmw alu ones. If you ride double go for the givi 52N that takes two fullface helmets.

Ride safe.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The GSA aluminium top box is brilliant. It looks the part and copes easily with a size XL Tour-X 4

When I exchanged my GSA for a GS I kept the box ..... well you never know when you might need an ali box? :augie

Congrats on the new bike, nothing beats a triple black.

I have the BMW Vario panniers and I'm really happy with them. Got the back rest for the wife and she loves it. Can easily fit the two helmets on them too and the fact that you can expand them when needed is great.

It all depends on what you plan to do with the panniers. Some prefer the aluminum construction as they're more resistant to damage (it just bends back) specially if you're off roading and stuff like that. Other prefer the top loading option, but I prefer the side loading as I can fit larger objects...

And again, the fact that the vario can expand is fantastic. With them on the "small" config I use them every day and there's no problems to filter between cars, etc and I always know I have capacity to whatever I need. The other thing I love is that you can take them out and there's no rack left over, just a clean look.

See if you can hassle a deal with BMW to include the panniers.

I like the GSA alloy top box but find its a bit small. I now use a Givi Trekker top case (plastic type). Givi also have alloy cases.

If you fancy having bespoke frames and cases, there is actually enough space on the left for a full size case. You would need an oval exhaust can and a special link pipe but it would all fit. Tyre to case frame on right is 115mm so there is space for a 100mm wide silencer.

I have the BMW panniers but opted for a Givi Trekker topbox which is huge, it takes two full face helmets and is considerably cheaper than the BMW option. I bought mine off here second hand for £130.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm really excited at having the new bike, circumstances forced me to sell my 2010 twin cam in 2013 and I have had a 1999 Varadero since, a great bike but not a GS!

I was going to get a s/h twin cam but my dearly beloved said I could have a new one and I was given a great "end of quarter" deal on a GSA Triple Black.

Think I'll go with the BMW Panniers and the Givi Trekker Outlander topbox, but may go for the the 42L one as the 58l one looks huge!

Does the Givi Trekker need a mounting kit or will it fit on the GSA rack and has anyone got one for sale?

The Trekker will need a Givi "plate". You can get them in 3mm alloy with folded sides that fit neatly to the bike's carrier.

Also check out the Givi Trekker Outback side cases.

Just recently bought a GSA Triple Black and went for the black powder coated BUMOT panniers and top box, from the Adventure Bike Shop. Much better made and finished than the std boxes and they fit onto the std GSA racks. Also just upgraded to the Nav 6 (from a Zumo 660) and liking it so far. Much quicker and easier to operate on the go.
Scott

Attachments

• Bike Small.jpg
    Bike Small.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 242

Back
Top Bottom