Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: IAM training/"making progress"

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by phooey View Post
    Progress is the PRODUCT of advanced riding, NOT the objective. It is what occurs when a rider has good motorcycle control skills and marries them to good observation and consistently sound decision making. How MUCH progress depends on how skilled they are at this marriage.

The 'sparkle' referred to is simply a faultless ride in terms of safety, awareness, and application of the principles of roadcraft and which the examiner deems to show some flair.

I have been on plenty of tests where an otherwise silver or gold rider has gone for an overtake near the end of an excellent demonstration because they felt the need to show they could make progress by overtaking. The pressure to do so spoiled the ride and subsequent grade.

Don't try and squeeze one in to impress as any examiner worth their salt knows the difference.
    I think you just won the thread.

Progress is the PRODUCT of advanced riding, NOT the objective. It is what occurs when a rider has good motorcycle control skills and marries them to good observation and consistently sound decision making. How MUCH progress depends on how skilled they are at this marriage.

The 'sparkle' referred to is simply a faultless ride in terms of safety, awareness, and application of the principles of roadcraft and which the examiner deems to show some flair.

I have been on plenty of tests where an otherwise silver or gold rider has gone for an overtake near the end of an excellent demonstration because they felt the need to show they could make progress by overtaking. The pressure to do so spoiled the ride and subsequent grade.

Don't try and squeeze one in to impress as any examiner worth their salt knows the difference.
    I think I was doing a good ride, looked at my clock and mileage realised I hadn't demonstrated a good overtake, did my checks and set off.. toward what turned out to be a blind dip ( couldn't see it when I was checking Into the distance). I wouldn't normally have done it except for knowing I needed to demo one at some point soon..

Passed but it wasn't elegant and certainly not sparkling !

Quote Originally Posted by Joe narvey View Post
    I think I was doing a good ride, looked at my clock and mileage realised I hadn't demonstrated a good overtake, did my checks and set off.. toward what turned out to be a blind dip ( couldn't see it when I was checking Into the distance). I wouldn't normally have done it except for knowing I needed to demo one at some point soon..

Passed but it wasn't elegant and certainly not sparkling !
    I apply a simple rule when weighing up overtakes. I look at it and ask myself am I completely sure I can execute it smoothly, safely and without inconveniencing anyone. If I know - I go. If I have any doubt - I hold back. It is still possible to be surprised !

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
    Ploughing on regardless.......

Campsite Clouseau

www.warpspeedadvanced.com

I apply a simple rule when weighing up overtakes. I look at it and ask myself am I completely sure I can execute it smoothly, safely and without inconveniencing anyone. If I know - I go. If I have any doubt - I hold back. It is still possible to be surprised !

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
    Precisely, but I thought I could see the bottom of the dip and set off ..

Always remembering that the candidate's ability to assess a hazard is the major thing we're testing.

We've all been behind candidates that have had repeated blindingly obvious opportunities to overtake and not taken them - in the debrief they are unable to articulate why they didn't go. This just means they need more work before they are ready for test. I've passed plenty of people who didn't overtake anything - but they must have always been looking for the overtakes and been frustrated by view, oncoming traffic or some other reason...
    We will never be here again - have a good look around

IAM training/"making progress"

Why is riding a bike all about overtaking??

Why should be 'looking' for overtakes all the time ???
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Destined to come last Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Have you not been listening.

1. overtaking is one of the ingredients of being an excellent all round rider.
    2. That skill has to be learnt and tested.
    3. You dont have to do it when not training or being tested.
    4. You cant be a highly trained motorcyclist and not be capable of overtaking
    5. end of

My qualification- retired triple class one police
    Brian

GSA Triple Black
    VW 'Triple Black' Campervan
    Zagato Guzzi 950 cafe
    Guzzi Le Mans 2, black and gold Coburn and Hughes.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one

Quote Originally Posted by Oldrat View Post

Why is overtaking and 'making progress' paramount to being a safe and highly trained rider??
    JohnnyBoxer

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    Why is overtaking and 'making progress' paramount to being a safe and highly trained rider??
    If you think that it's appropriate to be a "highly trained rider", who cannot overtake, nor make use some speed when safe and legal, then clearly that is your call.

You can do the IAM, and I'm sure you will learn a lot.

Without some evidence that you can make reasonable progress (when safe and legal), you probably shouldn't do the test.

I don't recall anyone with IAM experience saying that 'making progress' is paramount, but it is a part, and like any qualifications you can't chose to opt out of those parts that don't suit you.

Personally I got back involved in the IAM after attending a ride organised right here on this forum. Only one rider crashed, and I view that statistic as unduly positive given the idiotic and dangerous riding I saw. So personally I'll stick to the IAM.

Where did Oldrat mention 'paramount'?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Where did Oldrat mention 'paramount'?
    Thank you
    Yet again he is reading too much into this. Paramount - no. Necessary requirement - yes
    Brian

GSA Triple Black
    Zagato Guzzi 950 cafe

2. That skill has to be learnt and tested.
    3. You dont have to do it when not training or being tested.
    5. end of

Why is overtaking and 'making progress' paramount/important/necessary/useful* to being a safe and highly trained rider??
    *Delete as appropriate

Answer my earlier question, please

Thank you
    Yet again he is reading too much into this. Paramount - no. Necessary requirement - yes
    Ok, why is it a necessary requirement?

Just because i'm riding a bike, why do I have to overtake?

Why not sit there at 50 ish mph, on a NSL A road, at a safe distance behind the car in front (within my braking distance) and just enjoy the views, whilst taking note of any hazards ....................that may come along, from the side/front/rear

What is the necessary requirement/reason to overtake the car?

All the advanced riding I have undertaken is fixated with 'making progress' and overtaking everything in front of your bike, albeit safely

Why?
    JohnnyBoxer

FSS - you don't have to overtake. As I tell every associate I go out with - "ride your own ride". you make the decissions

Do whatever the F* you want. You won't pass an IAM advance test, but this shouldn't be an issue as you don't agree with the standards that IAM, RoSPA and the police use.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    FSS - you don't have to overtake. As I tell every associate I go out with - "ride your own ride". you make the decissions

Do whatever the F* you want. You won't pass an IAM advance test, but this shouldn't be an issue as you don't agree with the standards that IAM, RoSPA and the police use.
    I do agree, in fact
    JohnnyBoxer

I do agree, in fact

and for the record I will also do what the F** I want too

LETS HAVE ANOTHER GO.

Answer my earlier question, please

SEE 1 ABOVE

HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY DRIVE ANY VEHICLE WITHOUT EVER EVER PASSING ANOTHER

Why not sit there at 50 ish mph, on a NSL A road, at a safe distance behind the car in front (within my braking distance) and just enjoy the views, whilst taking note of any hazards ....................that may come along, from the side/front/rear

What is the necessary requirement/reason to overtake the car?

ABSOLUTELY NONE

All the advanced riding I have undertaken is fixated with 'making progress' and overtaking everything in front of your bike, albeit safely

Why?
    Now we can talk about Advanced driving/riding and being fixated on things....thats another debate with which I have some sympathy.

I hope that helps.
    Brian

GSA Triple Black
    Zagato Guzzi 950 cafe

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast