Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: IAM training/"making progress"

JB ....

Whilst I still enjoy bike riding (of course!), I don't really get that much of a buzz from 'going fast' any more.

For me, the buzz, the arm pump in the air, the enjoyment and satisfaction I get in my riding comes from being smart and working things out. To me, a really good ride is one that's peppered with little .... ummm .... challenges? Is that the right word? tests? Little conundrums to work out and solve?

When you've got that beautiful flow going, and it's man and machine working beautifully together, you come up behind something thats just a tad slower than you, and you seamlessly, effortlessly, but cleverly ... work out how to pass him like a swan on the water, that's a good feeling, and it's a good skill.

In my Rapid days, we often spend a lot of time working on that following, overtaking position, the transition between the two, the idea of lining up the planets and 'arriving' behind the vehicle in front in the right place, at the right speed, at the right time.. just as that bend opens up. When you get it right .... ahhhhhhh .... effortless .... passing vehicles by applying brain power and playing a smart game of chess with the traffic.

I know where you're coming from. I know exactly, your point. Boy, have I followed some plonkers in my time that just hoon from the start, have no touch, no beautiful acceleration sense, ham fisted overtakes and everything is speed speed speed .....

It doesn't have to be like that, it shouldn't be like that, but a good rider, that swan on the water ride, that's smooth, pacey, easy, wonderful flow .... He (she ... Fran ??!) will be able to demonstrate that he can pass a vehicle in front with no dramas and carry on with his journey.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by phooey View Post
    Blimey! ACPO guidelines were 10% +2 so 36 in a 30 and extrapolate for higher limits. Has this changed ?

60 + 6 + 2 = 68mph on a NSL B road

I was caught at 71mph
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    JB ....

Whilst I still enjoy bike riding (of course!), I don't really get that much of a buzz from 'going fast' any more.

For me, the buzz, the arm pump in the air, the enjoyment and satisfaction I get in my riding comes from being smart and working things out. To me, a really good ride is one that's peppered with little .... ummm .... challenges? Is that the right word? tests? Little conundrums to work out and solve?

When you've got that beautiful flow going, and it's man and machine working beautifully together, you come up behind something thats just a tad slower than you, and you seamlessly, effortlessly, but cleverly ... work out how to pass him like a swan on the water, that's a good feeling, and it's a good skill.

In my Rapid days, we often spend a lot of time working on that following, overtaking position, the transition between the two, the idea of lining up the planets and 'arriving' behind the vehicle in front in the right place, at the right speed, at the right time.. just as that bend opens up. When you get it right .... ahhhhhhh .... effortless .... passing vehicles by applying brain power and playing a smart game of chess with the traffic.

I know where you're coming from. I know exactly, your point. Boy, have I followed some plonkers in my time that just hoon from the start, have no touch, no beautiful acceleration sense, ham fisted overtakes and everything is speed speed speed .....

It doesn't have to be like that, it shouldn't be like that, but a good rider, that swan on the water ride, that's smooth, pacey, easy, wonderful flow .... He (she ... Fran ??!) will be able to demonstrate that he can pass a vehicle in front with no dramas and carry on with his journey.

Cheers Giles, well reasoned
    JohnnyBoxer

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post

I was caught at 71mph
    Panic over then (for the rest of us ) Just in case any tossers are confused the 10%+2 is the trigger point for getting the NIP, not how fast you can go without getting one

I was caught at 71mph
    Johnny, when you said in post 108 you were 3 MPH over on a moorland road, did you mean 3 MPH over the trigger point for a NIP or the speed limit which was how I understood it? I am confused as you now say you were caught at 71 MPH.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Johnny, when you said in post 108 you were 3 MPH over on a moorland road, did you mean 3 MPH over the trigger point for a NIP or the speed limit which was how I understood it? I am confused as you now say you were caught at 71 MPH.
    3mph over the trigger point for a NIP

But I doubt I was even doing that as we'd just pulled out of a side road 1/2 mile before we saw the front of the van on the B road & to get to 80 on the speedo (71 mph true) on a 1150 GSA from zero in 1/2 mile takes a bit of doing - especially when you're not on a charge

We had been bimbling all day and never really gone over 60-70 (on the speedo, not gps) as it was that hot weekend in the 30c's and the views were stunning

How they did me approaching from front when the tripod camera was out the back doors I will never know ?

However unless you go to Court you can't see the evidence one way or the other - which is unfair IMHO

So I'll take the course and suck it up - booked it already
    JohnnyBoxer

Quote Originally Posted by phooey View Post
    Blimey! ACPO guidelines were 10% +2 so 36 in a 30 and extrapolate for higher limits. Has this changed ?
    I think it is (and always was) 35mph (in a 30 that is).

It isn't 'above' the 10% +2mph, it is triggered AT the 10% +2mph. So, in a 30 it is 35mph.

Did the recent changes in fines trigger off a new lower trigger ? I seem to remember reading something about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    have I followed some plonkers in my time that just hoon from the start, have no touch, no beautiful acceleration sense, ham fisted overtakes and everything is speed speed speed .....
    Norfolk Tiger ?
    Just a Prospect at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    Norfolk Tiger ?
    Giles has followed me at Dent 2016, so hope it's not me or you............ as you were on that ride too
    JohnnyBoxer

Ha ha ..... I've not followed Norfolk Tiger .... he's normally going the other way cos he's forgotten something ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think that the bike you ride sets the mood.

When I ride my K1300S I find it very difficult to pootle.

On the other hand when I ride my R1150GS I have to pootle or the knobbly tyres wear down in no time. I had to ride over to Wales for the pre Iceland get together and it was most strange having to travel along with cars instead of overtaking them. Very irritating when they seem to go everywhere at 45mph even in the 30s. I even got to admire the scenery which is something I never get to do when riding the K.
    Anyone riding slower than you is an idiot, and anyone riding faster than you is a maniac

Giles has followed me at Dent 2016, so hope it's not me or you............ as you were on that ride too
    I didnt want to say that !

What with it being someones birthday and all
    Just a Prospect at the moment

As one of my fellow observers who mentored me says "Maximum safe progress, with the minimum of effort, showing quiet efficiency", sums it up really.

With regards to the speed limit thread, humans on the end of a speed gun could make the 10% variance decision to make allowances for calibration, however the cameras don't and as little as 3mph over can mean a fixed penalty. Thats how I understand it.
    Once you know something, you can't not know it

People get their knickers in a twist over "Progress", its not at the top of the list, safely, smoothly , progressive and well, its third.....if you ride safe and smooth, you make progress well, simples.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678