Settling into Boston Life and Passing another bike test

Commuter

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

So we have been here in Boston for 3 months and life in London is a distance memory, life is less "fast" and the lifestyle change has come as a welcome change.

I have just this weekend passed my written bike test (15 multiple choice questions) which now allows me to go and get a bike for my test with the local police officer!! I will have to practice my figure of eights.!!! All quite funny after riding for so long in the Uk and now not being legally allowed to ride as they do not recognise the UK licence.

Anyway, I am happy to report that the motorcycle community, especially Yankee Beemers and Adventure rider have been very helpful in pointing out the insurance and bike purchase tips.

It looks like I have a used GS Adventure in silver lined up for collection at the end of the month (Fanum I can hear you laughing about the colour already!!)

Anyway, will post when the new beast arrives and hope you all have a great summer, I miss you guys for some reason!!!:D Tossers

Good luck to all going on the Tossers and tour ride and to all keep it safe and upright.

Cheers, Nick:beerjug: :beer:

Good to hear from you Nick.....if life's slower over there, why the feck has it taken you so bleedin long huh???

Nowt wrong with a silver Adv mate...yep, I'd be laughing if you'd got another slow black one, but surely nothing could beat a nice silver Adv for the discerning English Gennelman abroad?!?

Hope the Merkins haven't persuaded you that in comparison with them, you're actually a slim fine figure of a man rather than the fat bastard that we all know and love you for......
;) :dabone :dabone

So, we're waiting for the pics.....and more info...mey any adv guys we'd recognise??? How's your new gaff, settled in ok???

Actually, sod all that......how cheap can you get us tickets, how much can you get us off a room rate and have you got any stella in yer fridge yet??

;)

Good to hear from you mate......keep it coming :D

Bill

Spare room all set and the stella is on tap over here!!

Just the flight you pay......and jesus is it cheap, really is quite scary how strong the Pound is.

Come of over, we're having a wimpy!:D

So what are the standards of the test like???

15 multiple choice questions doesn't sound too bad- but what about these figure of eights???

Better than our test or worse??

And how are the roads???

C'mon dude, loads more info required....

;)

just wondering

HI..

Just wondering how long is the riding time form nyc to boston .. main road at moderate pace..

rgds

Stephen

i've been driven in a car, 3 hrs from 495/pike junction to middle of nyc.

middle of boston out, add maybe 30-60 mins

The tests vary from state to stste

Fanum said:
So what are the standards of the test like???

15 multiple choice questions doesn't sound too bad- but what about these figure of eights???

Better than our test or worse??

And how are the roads???

C'mon dude, loads more info required....

;)
In Florida,no class is necessary at all!!Make an appointment with the Highway Patrol and take the easy 5 minute parking lot test.You can take the written test at the DMV on a computer there and in another 15 minutes,you're on your way w/ a motorcycle endorsement on your license.
The route most new riders take is the MSF(Motorcycle Safety Foundation)
Course,which is basically a 16 hour course of a weekend or 2 days,which is basically 8 hrs on the bike and 8 hrs in classroom.After you pass the written and on course tests,you are given a certificate to take to the DMV and then issued the MC endorsement for your driver's license.The bike is included and was a 125 or 250cc.
The course was $75 15 years ago when I took it and included a discount on your insurance.The price has increased to over $200,but still worth every penny.Harley offers a similar course on their Buell single and it includes a 1 day rental(any Harley)free after the course completion,but I believe their course is about $275.
Overall,our system probably explains why we have so many riders w/poor skills and bad riding habits! :eek:
John

bigdelta said:
In Florida,no class is necessary at all!!Make an appointment with the Highway Patrol and take the easy 5 minute parking lot test.You can take the written test at the DMV on a computer there and in another 15 minutes,you're on your way w/ a motorcycle endorsement on your license.
The route most new riders take is the MSF(Motorcycle Safety Foundation)
Course,which is basically a 16 hour course of a weekend or 2 days,which is basically 8 hrs on the bike and 8 hrs in classroom.After you pass the written and on course tests,you are given a certificate to take to the DMV and then issued the MC endorsement for your driver's license.The bike is included and was a 125 or 250cc.
The course was $75 15 years ago when I took it and included a discount on your insurance.The price has increased to over $200,but still worth every penny.Harley offers a similar course on their Buell single and it includes a 1 day rental(any Harley)free after the course completion,but I believe their course is about $275.
Overall,our system probably explains why we have so many riders w/poor skills and bad riding habits! :eek:
John

:eek: That's really quite scary, given that you can go and buy a Ferrari beating hyperbike for a couple of thousand pounds :eek:

Actually,at least BMW dealers require that you have

Fanum said:
:eek: That's really quite scary, given that you can go and buy a Ferrari beating hyperbike for a couple of thousand pounds :eek:

a MC endorsement before purchase.Other brand dealers do not-now that's scary!

Back
Top Bottom