Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin 595lm not working in france

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Garmin 595lm not working in france

I bought a garmin 595lm just to use for my trip to assen and the bloody thing has proved next to useless. It refuses to recognise France. I couldn't even plan a route on the channel tunnel from either direction.

When I'm in France it won't show me even being on a road and when I select a country to search for a destination France isn't even on there. My buddy that I rode with had the garmin 540lm and his has been faultless.

As a work around I have the garmin app on my iPhone so I started using that with the USB power cable in my map pocket of my tank bag. Would you believe it, the USB no longer charges either.

#bloody frustrated

Any suggestions other than the bin?

See umpteen threads on the same problem.

Here's but one sample: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...63#post4760763

And another:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/member.php/1007816-Wapping

I suggest you:

1. Check before you depart

2. Mend your USB connection

3. Complain Garmin on your return

4. Stay dead close to your buddy (whatever that is)

5. Get a map

Nutty's law strikes again..........

You're a real fuckinh hero aren't you. Stuck at the side of the road lost in France trying to get some help before the battery in my phone died and the best you can be is a sarcastic ****.

Get to computer with the latest version of Garmin Express on it. Download for free if required.

Connect your 595LM with the micro USB cable.

Restart the map download to pick up Europe SOUTH as well as Europe NORTH.

Did you update the maps after buying your 595 and before leaving for France?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy2coull View Post
    You're a real fuckinh hero aren't you. Stuck at the side of the road lost in France trying to get some help before the battery in my phone died and the best you can be is a sarcastic ****.
    Well, if we are all being honest, you clearly did not put much effort into preparation before leaving on your trip. So getting precious about people's responses is a bit rich.

And, if ll else fails, just buy a Michelin map (as I am assuming that you do not have one at the moment, and go back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy2coull View Post
    It's not your lucky day, is it? Though glad to see you have summoned up enough power from somewhere to contact UKGSer for urgent assistance.

To cheer you up, HSBC has just managed to lock me out of my bank account.

Now, back to your imediate problem:

1. You'll by now have learnt that some (by no means all) devices encountered a problem loading the second portion of the map updates. In short, some unlucky owners had nothing south of Calais. Great if you are going to Finland but all but useless for France. You are in the unlucky camp, your position made worse as your secondary mode of navigational aid is failing due to some (unknown) wiring problem between your phone and your bike.

2. To update your maps you will need access to:

A. A computer running the latest version of Garmin Express

B. Maybe access to your 'My Garmin' account / Garmin Mapinstaller. I am not sure about this; great if not

C. A USB lead to connect your otherwise fully functional GPS device to the computer

D. Maybe a suitable SD card inserted into your GPS, to take the maps

E. About two to three hours perhaps, depending on the speed of the computer's internet connection

F. Hopefully some power in the GPS device when it first turns on and installs the maps

Good luck finding that lot in France... Nutty (he of the now famous law) had a brainwave.... he went into a BMW Motorrad dealership where, via the medium of mime and dance, he negotiated that they should make the download for him. On learning it might take several hours / days, he flounced out and (lacking maps) tied himself to Keith Bouncer's shirt tails for the duration of their holiday, limiting themselves to the small bit of Belgium for which their devices did have a map.

So, now you are probably stuck. So it's time to go all old skool and retro, in a self-reliant Adventure (with a capital A) bikermate way. To do this you'll need a map, a sheet of paper and a pencil. Write the route down and away you go..... you'll have a real tale to tell when you next chill with like minded souls in the Flanged Sprocket pub or Tesco's car park.

Enjoy your holiday and don't be nasty to the Norfolk Tiger. He cries easily and his mum is not to be trifled with.

He's probably now back, chilled from his holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Unlike Nutty who does have maps this time and heading to the Dolomites,but then so is the weather and last I heard they were thinking of bouncing over and tackling the RDGA,for which they have no routes/hotel bookings (mid July so they'd struggle to get in).

He's gone very quiet.At least he's on the bike without the fatal flaw.

07875 304772
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Or lost somewhere south of Calais

Quote Originally Posted by paul08 View Post
    Well, if we are all being honest, you clearly did not put much effort into preparation before leaving on your trip. So getting precious about people's responses is a bit rich.

And, if ll else fails, just buy a Michelin map (as I am assuming that you do not have one at the moment, and go back to basics
    Sorry Paul thats rubbish. The man clearly downloaded and updated all needed for his trip.....it's GARMIN causing all this havoc. Since dividing maps into North and South hundreds have fallen into this trap...thinking I have updated , all clear. I had the same problem and mailed Garmin at least 10 mails.....only to get reply from some IT kids telling you all the obvious without solving the problem. So it's GARMIN we need to complain to,buying all these expensive tools and then get stranded in France with half of Europe missing, it's a scandal...

So it's GARMIN we need to complain to.... it's a scandal
    Second only to the Grenfell Tower and only slightly ahead of the price of cod.

Address on website.

The man you want is: http://www.garmin.com/en-GB/company/...lifton-pemble/

You should have a back up, electronic navigation will fail at some point. Maps are the way to go, or even a route card.

Quote Originally Posted by albatross View Post
    Sorry Paul thats rubbish. The man clearly downloaded and updated all needed for his trip.....it's GARMIN causing all this havoc. Since dividing maps into North and South hundreds have fallen into this trap...thinking I have updated , all clear. I had the same problem and mailed Garmin at least 10 mails.....only to get reply from some IT kids telling you all the obvious without solving the problem. So it's GARMIN we need to complain to,buying all these expensive tools and then get stranded in France with half of Europe missing, it's a scandal...
    If he had loaded his first route/hotel in before leaving home he would have had time to address the problem .

Quote Originally Posted by andyscott View Post
    You should have a back up......
    He did, but the (possibly homemade) power supply to his phone failed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast