Best place to take an ignition switched +12v feed off a 2006 GS.

Treeman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking to wire in my TomTom rider 400. Dealer persuaded me against using the accessory feed by the front forks so looking to take a +12v feed that comes on with the ignition.

Any recommendations? And directions!

Got fog lights switched via a relay under seat, might this be useful? This seems to take a feed from a small round drum shaped part just behind the tool tray.

Sorry - pic below is 90' out of line - not sure how to twist it back round!

Attachments

• IMG_5633.jpg
    IMG_5633.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 189
Can I ask why the dealer has advised this? I run my Tom Tom from the accessory outlet and no problem.

Just use the connector beside the forks, it works.
Most of us use it. Powers up my Garmin when ignition goes on and switches off 30 seconds after shutting down. Perfect.
Near the sat nav as well as providing protection against a bad install. A GS can burn well.
Can't understand why a dealer would tell you that unless he's touting for the job of wiring it in for you.

You'll get up to 5 amps from that Canbus connector up by the steering head.

If you want to run more than that, drive a relay to switch a separate bus bar fuse box.

Can I ask why the dealer has advised this? I run my Tom Tom from the accessory outlet and no problem.

Was told there is often a very small residual drain of the sat nav unit even if switched off and often leads to dead battery over a period of time.
He Wasn't touting for business, he recommended getting a vehicle electrician to wire in as a relay.

Front brake switch or head light will trigger a relay if thats what your after.

Back
Top Bottom