Punctures

Danny

Space cowboy
Reaction score
A few of my mates have recently bought new Africa Twins and they are growing on me.

One thing that concerns me is punctures. On the big GS a puncture is not a show stopper if carrying a Stop &a Go kit or the likes. But, as the Africa Twin has tubes it could be a nightmare if unlucky enough to get one while out on the road.

How many of you guys have had a puncture, are there any precautionary measures to take, or are there any roads side quick fixes that will keep ayou going?

I've just bought a T120 Bonny that has tubed tyres, this was of a concern for me. I have put OKO puncture sealant into each tyre, (must remember to check tyres regularly for punctures). If that doesn't work then it's the RAC and a long wait.
I am toying with the expense of a set of Alpina spoked wheels as these will run tubeless tyres, but they are very expensive.

I had the same problem with a GSA 800. Ita just a matter of bringing the tools to do the job. Not as handy as tubeless but dooable. JJH

What I'm doing is carrying two Motion Pro, aluminum, combo tire irons, one with a 27mm the other a 22mm for the rear axle. (My regular tool kit covers the front). These along with A mini compressor and tube patch kit has me covered. I do have a center stand also. On an extended trip I might even take along a rear tube if I have the room.

My last flat stranded me and it was on my bike with tubeless tyres. The culprit was a large construction staple that was bent and it tore or cut a slice in the rear tyre. Fix-a-Flat which I had didn't work, the slice was too long, and my tyres plugs wouldn't have worked either.

I recall wishing I had tube tyres and my tube patch kit that time.

I've only done 1000 miles on my AT so far, I don't carry tools or tyre levers, I'll take my chances and if I do fall victim to a puncture, I'll call the AA and wait for the man in the van to effect a rescue...that's why I pay for a recovery service

learn how to change a tube,
carry a cheapo standard front,and the tools to change it.
in an emergency the one tube will fit front or rear,and you will be on your way in 1/2hr!
most trail riders have been doing this for years.
I feel sure there will be somewhere on the bike to stash an inner tube?

edit,,add to that,the fact that you have all the kit and have a tube and know how to fit it will guarantee that you will NEVER get a puncture
if one of your mates is unfortunate enough to suffer one ,you can stand at the side offering excellent advice,also known as taking the piss:D

Mikeyboy - I've been riding bikes for 44 years, had more than I can count, wish I still had many of them. I was at one time, quite proficient in bike maintenance including changing tubes and tyres but my days of fannying around with tyre levers and spanners are over. I have a few bikes these days and any issues are dealt with by people who earn a living working on bikes. it's one of the positives of getting older and of course it helps the economy

You're out alone in a sparse area with no cell service and you have a puncture....... it's Saturday afternoon. What do you do?

This is precisely what occurred to me s few years ago when I was on my DR650. I was sure thankful I'd brought my compressor and tube patches.

I did go down the Alpina route and worth every penny in looks alone.

Many AT owners have gone down the Outex route with no problems and at a fraction of the cost of new wheels. http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~outex/tubelesskitWMMT.htm

I've only had one puncture on the rear which was ironically caused by a new Continental TA2 rubbing through the tube (a small sticker mistakenly left on the inside of the tyre) and not surprisingly, none since spending all that money on the Alpinas. I carry a good tubeless repair kit under my pillion seat should the worst happen and like Clifton, the last proper puncture I got was on holiday in England on my 12GS (and in a new tyre fitted for going away :blast ) which was a big staple giving me a double puncture. Luckily, I Was able to repair it, but had to ride cautiously to get home before replacing the tyre.

Attachments

• IMG_2208.jpg
    IMG_2208.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 434
  • 5C672FE7-CBAE-4325-ACD4-AD28E2E8CEE0-10427-000006526D833D9B.jpeg
    5C672FE7-CBAE-4325-ACD4-AD28E2E8CEE0-10427-000006526D833D9B.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 378
Mikeyboy - I've been riding bikes for 44 years, had more than I can count, wish I still had many of them. I was at one time, quite proficient in bike maintenance including changing tubes and tyres but my days of fannying around with tyre levers and spanners are over. I have a few bikes these days and any issues are dealt with by people who earn a living working on bikes. it's one of the positives of getting older and of course it helps the economy
each to their own I suppose,
id just be a bit pissed off with waiting for a breakdown service for a problem that could've been fixed in no time,
or missing a ferry etc,
these things always seem to have a knack of cropping up when you least need it:comfort

The main issue if you are on your own will be getting the tyre off the bead to repair the tube or fit a new one
Modern bikes have a safety well on the rim designed to keep the tyre on and it's a bastard to get the tyre over with the larger size tyres
This would be the main reason i would do a tubeless conversion
Only on the rear though the fronts is no problem

each to their own I suppose,
id just be a bit pissed off with waiting for a breakdown service for a problem that could've been fixed in no time,
or missing a ferry etc,
these things always seem to have a knack of cropping up when you least need it:comfort

Mike - inflating the tube - will a small mini-compressed "seat" the tyre - or is a hand pump more effective?

a bike pump with CO2 is maybe worth considering

Anyway to convert tubed to tubeless? I would probably enjoy spending the time at the roadside looking tough changing wheels and tubes etc...but my employer desires I get there on time! London Huh...who thought it...Anyhow, with the GS tubeless I can do this as it only takes 15 minutes to plug the hole...but a wheel off on the ring road might raise eyebrows...So can they be converted cheaply?

I looked at the outex stuff but it wasnt clear if it eliminated the tube. Just that the rim /tyre was better protected

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom