Rebound damper (or lack of) on rear shock - failed the MOT

Flaming T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So, the bike has failed its mot due to no rebound damper on my 2014 GSA. i've only had it 7 months and Guildford BMW are collecting it so as to see what the cause is... needless to say I am gutted :tears

anyone else had this happen to them and what was the outcome for you?

Front ESA unit failed on my K1600GTSE a while back. It gently leaked a mist of damper oil, hidden by the tupperware.

Vines fixed it under warranty, but the part was out of stock in the Fatherland, so had to wait about 6 weeks. Trouble was I still ended up with the crap OE thing, rather than the nice Wilbers I desired. Could be some malfunction in the ESA I guess, but I am sure the dealer will do the honourable thing for the OP too, if necessary.

Well, enlighten us OP - I rather assumed we were talking AUB? which could be 1 or 2 years depending on purchase date.

Bike was new in June 2014. I bought it back in November 2016 from Vines in Guildford.

Tell them you will return the bike for refund, its NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE, under the sale of goods act. That shouldn't be happening with a "Premium" product.:rolleyes:;)

Just as an update, for those that are interested.... the bike was collected yesterday morning by probably the happiest guy in the world who loves his job.. didn't get his name but we had a great chat about bikes in general whilst he was loading it onto the van. :natter

Anyway, had a message on the phone mid morning today from Vines in Guildford advising that after inspection the result is a failing rear shock which will be replaced under the AUB warranty. I am one happy chap and can't wait to get her back again :bounce1.

Tractive Suspension Plug & Play ESA Dampers

Check out the new ESA Tractive dampers, these are fully compatible with your BMW ESA, plug & play units for both front & rear, and can either have the OEM EPA units refitted to them, or if they are faulty, Tractive's own EPA unit.
We recently did a 2009 R1200GS with over 125,000 miles and did both front & rear with new EPA on the rear.
These have 2 year warranty and can be fitted in our workshop, or remove rhe shocks and ship them to us for exchanging the dampers.
Check our report in Vendors:

LINK

Same thing just happened on my 2014 GS.
15700 miles on the clocks...
It's currently at the dealer having a new rear shock fitted ( under extended warranty).
Not really good enough though.
These damping units should not be failing after 15k miles...

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Lack of Damping ESA

The main reason the ESA stops working on the OEM shocks is due to the fact that the small electric servo motor that adjust the damping needle is position right at the bottom of the shock, in the alloy mount.
The wiring enters the lower mount through a plastic plug, but this does not seal very well, and with all the spray from the rear wheel right next to it, the water soon gets past the O ring and then capillary action draws it up into the motor and causes it to seize.
We have seen many of these when replacing the OEM shocks with the Tractive ESA dampers.
The Tractive dampers have the motor positioned high up inside the shock, well away from water ingress, so preventing this problem,

Back
Top Bottom