Thread: Model changes 2011 to 2014

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Model changes 2011 to 2014

I have found myself an ultra low mileage 2011 R1200R to replace my 2012 R1200GS. Buying parts and accessories for the GS was easy, everyone seems to make and stock parts for them, but the R1200R is different, nothing like the choice.....unless I'm looking in the wrong places.

Many accessories seem to stipulate 2007 - 2010 or (less frequently) 2011 to 2014.

Can anyone enlighten me please.....what exactly changed that makes engine bars (and other parts) for instance specific to certain years? (yes I know it changed from SOHC to DOHC....but did the engine cases change too?)

I would also be very interested in parts sources please in case I am missing the very obvious.

Mick.

Hornig, Wunderlich & Touratech do accessories, although nowhere near as much as for the GS/GSA boxers.

The BMW screen differs from early to later models as do the cylinder head protecters.

Thank you for the replies, this is the stuff I need to know, much appreciated.

Mick.

Bark busters also do hand guards to fit,just put a pair on mine and v pleased.

The headlamp/"dashboard" changed over the years, but the rest of the bike didn't change a great deal.

Scanning through the various engine bars on ebay, some are listed 2007-14 while others are listed 2007-10 and 2011-14, I have looked on line and can't find anywhere that lists the model changes in sufficient detail to form an educated opinion on what will fit, what might fit and what definitely wont.

I'll have a look for an early R1200R road test....some of the US magazines go into reams of detail.....but in any event the oil cooled 1200Rs certainly seem obscure compared to the GS.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

To be honest Mick, there really isn't a great deal of difference through the whole run. The engine changed from single-cam to the twin-cam, but it's still basically the same engine, just different heads, as still fitted to the 9T.
    There were changes re the headlight, & dash-board display, & as Rick says, screen fastenings, but there isn't much else. They got it pretty right from the start.
    I'm lead to believe they sold better in other markets, although having seen how some people struggle with their GS or GSA until underway, most would be better off with the 1200R.