Filling in drill Holes in panniers

B Murr

Reaction score
Just converted my aluminium panniers to fit on Touratech rails, having been previouisly on H&B rails. Relocated the 15mm pucks and fitted 3mm spacers( acrylic discs with appropriate holes drilled) to adapt to the 18mm rails, I also changed over from self tapping screws to nuts and bolts with nuts being recessed ). I'm left with 12 small drill holes ( about 6mm) which were in old location of pucks. Was wondering how best to block/fill them. Some of the holes coincide with the rails so cannot be covered by anything more than a fraction of a mm thick on the exterior. Was thinking, Gorilla tape on inside then fill the 2mm thickness of the hole with epoxy followed by gorilla tape on exterior, or maybe no tape on exterior as epoxy is filling the hole. Anyone got any other ideas, originally I had been thinking of using some reinforced plastic film ( same stuff used in damp proof course in walls) stuck on with siome sort of adheisive, however the gorilla tape seems like quite tough sticky stuff.

Recessed holes look rough in photo but will have filling of black silicone eventually. White layer is adhesive on both sides of spacer, probably overkill but easy to do.

Attachments

• DSC_0012e.jpg
    DSC_0012e.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 627
10p coins stuck on the inside with Araldite.

Press in a bit of aluminium into each hole (just below the surface), a tight fit, and alu weld it from the outside and then grind / polish to a smooth finish.
I've done it with stainless steel before so aluminium should be so much easier.

Pop rivets will not be waterproof. Use small pieces of cut aluminium glued in place, as mentioned Araldite works well.

Check out aluminium aircraft rivets on e bay , countersunk ones will be perfect

As they are only 6mm dia holes it would be easy to weld them up and grind them flush without having to insert any plugs.

Slightly Bevel the outside and inside of the hole then fill with epoxy,sand and paint as appropriate. Some clear tape on the outside will help whilst it dries

e91f15be66032a1948cad6fb98432b4c.png

Tape on the inside because if you weld the holes up you'll wreck the anodising.

Slightly Bevel the outside and inside of the hole then fill with epoxy,sand and paint as appropriate. Some clear tape on the outside will help whilst it dries

I fixed 4 drilled holes on my metal mules like that, didn't bother painting them just put a sticker over the repair, totally flush.

JimmyMac

Tesco or I've been to China stickers ?

Exactly what I did in the end, put small bit of gorilla tape on inside and filled with epoxy, sanded and painted.

Back
Top Bottom