Thread: Changing from GS to R?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Changing from GS to R?

Hi, I probably know the answer to this but in case I'm wrong: could any of the accessories from my TC GS fit a TC R? Particularly decat headers, Wilbers ESA and mudsling?

Mostly thinking of changing as the GS now feels a bit of a lump to move around so I either have to spend tedious hours at the gym or get a lighter lower bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman14 View Post
    Hi, I probably know the answer to this but in case I'm wrong: could any of the accessories from my TC GS fit a TC R? Particularly decat headers, Wilbers ESA and mudsling?

Mostly thinking of changing as the GS now feels a bit of a lump to move around so I either have to spend tedious hours at the gym or get a lighter lower bike.
    Do what I did, change to a Z1000 SX, brilliant !! I did it for exactly the same reason, after my ticker decided to throw a wobbly.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/149269...posted-public/

Is the ZX lighter? Or just easier to manage? I have to say it looks good even with its panniers on.

I've just bought a twin cam R having changed from a TC GS for exactly the same reasons....I suspect the mudsling will be different, but I'm also at a loss as to what may or may not fit both bikes....crash bars being the most obvious example....if the crankcases on both bikes are identical it would be logical to expect the GS versions (which are common) to fit the R....but just looking for a set they seem to be model specific and I've no idea why.

I would be very interested to learn, if anyone has owned both bikes what does transfer from one to the other.

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by kettle738 View Post
    I've just bought a twin cam R having changed from a TC GS for exactly the same reasons....I suspect the mudsling will be different, but I'm also at a loss as to what may or may not fit both bikes....crash bars being the most obvious example....if the crankcases on both bikes are identical it would be logical to expect the GS versions (which are common) to fit the R....but just looking for a set they seem to be model specific and I've no idea why.

I would be very interested to learn, if anyone has owned both bikes what does transfer from one to the other.

Mick.
    I suspect with crash-bars it's more to do not with the fixings as such, because so much is common, but rather the blending in with the different bodywork.

I've owned both - still have my 1200R - & the only parts that I had that interchanged easily were the gear & brake lever extensions; the Mudsling is different.

having not ridden an R, whats the real world ride like? Low speed, drive out of corners? length of first gear? Is the enging mapping close to the GS? I like the look and sound of it, as well as the apparent ease for commuting in London. Just need to see what its like still. I love the GS but in and around towns, I find it a little heavy/hard work. Thoughts?

Changing from GS to R?

Quote Originally Posted by adventuredon View Post
    having not ridden an R, whats the real world ride like? Low speed, drive out of corners? length of first gear? Is the enging mapping close to the GS? I like the look and sound of it, as well as the apparent ease for commuting in London. Just need to see what its like still. I love the GS but in and around towns, I find it a little heavy/hard work. Thoughts?
    I sold my GSA (had it 4 years) and bought the R1200R sport ( had almost 18 months) and added the usual sat nav etc. I should say I absolutely loved my GSA but as most of my riding is commute with a few long range fully loaded sojourns I decided to change. It's excellent at low speed and out of corners in my opinion. Plenty of grunt as expected and top end so I'm told, nudge, nudge. Also love the quick shifter. Filtering is a doddle as it's quite a bit narrower than the GSA. Lower seat height also suited me being 5' 7".

Obviously no front end weather protection. Mudsling is a must. Otherwise you'll get caked up the back of your legs. I did on the test ride. It pissed down all afternoon. Bike was great in the wet shod with PR4s. Mine came with Metzler roadtecs but I have just changed to the PR4s, personal choice.

However I have Givi V35s (all frameworks remove with a simple tool) & V47 for the long hauls and it's still a brilliant ride. Mrs loves it and we're off very soon round France and Spain, fully loaded.

Don't take my word though. Go test ride it yourself. Any questions or want photos with the Givis etc drop me a pm

Cheers

Clive

Sold GS for R ,,,, will never go back to a GS.... it's that good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mistery, TODAY is a gift, thats why its called the present.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Love my 2015 GS and love my 2016 R. But can only keep one bike. GS is for sale.