Can't download Garmin Communicator...so can I do this instead??????

Hi Lee, yup I saw your explanation of the problem to Simon at the time.

I think Simon's problem was that he'd not realised that, whilst the original routes had been created in Garmin software, they'd then been shared (recreated, if you like) via MotoGoLoco or something similar in order to display the routes in Googlemaps. Somewhere in the recreation - or in the subsequent download and further recreation back into Garmin's BaseCamp or Mapsource software - bits of data was being lost. This created the gaps that Keith has encountered, his device then filling the gaps as best it can based on his preference settings.

That's my take on it anyway. Very happy to hear alternatives.

I have made a comment to Simon W http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/456848-Ride-Route-Calculations

I would be unsure about the did not know they'd then been shared (recreated, if you like) via MotoGoLoco, i say this because i believe, but not certain, that the routes are linked to motogoloco through the ride website, but yes as far as the route changing during recreation from one piece of mapping software to another i would agree fully.

OK, I see what you mean.

We are both though in agreement that somewhere along the line data is being lost in the process. The gaps are then being filled in by Garmin, leading to recacaluted routes that do not match the original (they take different roads) or straight lines are displayed.

If coming from motogoloco i always seem to get straight lines then a recalculation has to occur using MS or BC or nav, and if there are not enough points this is when it alters from the original, in other words what i have from motogoloco is just points on a map joined by straight lines, it then relies on MS BC or my nav to join the points via roads dictated via my own personel preferences set in the software or nav, this then could and many times does alter the route. But as long as you have the original route to view you can amend the altered one to suit.

I see excatly the same phenomenon in BaseCamp on my Mac, Lee.

I often look at routes downloaded from some very good German websites where the routes / tracks are straight lines. By zooming in, I can the very often work out which roads the straight lines ought to be following. I then drag the Garmin magenta line to follow what I think are the roads the German intended me to take. I sometimes correct some glitches in the German's route, where he probably went wrong or maybe just nipped off to see his mum.

Keith, I have downloaded your MotoGoLoco route and displayed it in BaseCamp on my Mac. Like leedude03 I was presented with a series of straight lines between a handful of fixed points, the fixed points mirroring the few you had in your MotoGoLoco version. I was therefore forced to ask BaseCamp to make a recalculation, which it did according to my preference settings.

Several comments...

1. At over 2000 miles, it's way too long as a single unbroken Garmin circular route from Calais to Switzerland and back up again to Calais. Break it up into bite sized chunks, say day by day. Don't know where you are stopping each night because you and Nutty are the desperate bandido brothers? No worries, make an educated guess. You can always jump onto the next route in the sequence if one falls a bit short. If you do break it up, it sometimes helps to number each route segment sequentially, trust me. Call the first day 01, the second 02 etc etc.

2. As leedude said, you are hopelessly short of shaping points. You need to add a load more in, placed preferably exactly on the road(s) you want to take. In short, you have got to help the Garmin software along when it comes to filling in the multiple miles of gaps between the very few known points. Don't forget the poor Garmin software is having to take data from another totally different set of software and very different maps. It's like someone taking to you in broad Geordie and you trying to follow their quite complicated instructions, whilst they wave a map around in the air at the same time.

3. You seem to be taking a lot of motorways? For example, due to your imprecise placing of not enough shaping points, you seem to be routing yourself up the motorway from well before Mesocco, right up past Pian San Giacomo, onwards past San Bernadino (missing out the old twisty San Bernardino pass itself) staying on the motorway all the way onwards. I am reasonably sure that this is not your intention but it's working out that way because of the lack of shaping points you've placed in the MotoGoLoco file. I can drag the Garmin version of the route to force it follow the old pass exactly, but I really don't know if that is the way you want to go? Do YOU want to take the old pass or do YOU want to take the new motorway route? Only you know, I'm afraid.

I can drag your route around - I have done chunks of it already, just to see what it is you might be up to - but I (like your device) am having to GUESS down which roads YOU want to go. This explains why the Garmin route length is so much shorter than the MotoGoLoco version, it's taking motorways more often than not. Of course I could play around in MY settings to exclude motorways but, as it's one bloody long 2000 mile completely circular route you've created, that would take you away from any motorways that you DID want to use. Am I going to spend my time zooming in and out of the MotoGoLoco map whilst simultaneously dragging all your 2000 mile route about for you, guessing (maybe wrongly) where YOU and Nutty want to go? No, sir.

Had you run your route on your holiday, I can reasonably safely predict a disaster with you and Nutty cursing Garmin; none of which would have been justified. You need to sit down with the MotoGoLoco route displayed as best you can in BaseCamp or Mapsource and then drag it to follow the exact roads YOU want it to follow, not the ones the poor Garmin software is thinking you want it to take, as you have told it nothing better. Shite in equals even greater shite out, I'm afraid.

Mapsource is really easy. BaseCamp is really easy, too. Dragging routes is especially easy. Fecking about in MotoGoLoco with a single circular route of over 2000 miles and then hoping that Garmin or someone will magically sort it out for you, ain't going to work this time, I'm sorry to say. Time for you and Nutty to get busy.

Enjoy your holiday :friday

:beerjug:

PS Don't forget your maps, paper AND electronic versions.... you know what happened last time.

PPS If you really do not want to learn Garmin software and / or want to use MotoGoLoco, supposedly Bikermate friendly (though they do seem to vanish into thin air when someone can't make it work) and other Googlemap based maps / route plotting tools, get yourself a decent TomTom. That's a serious suggestion, mate. It's made for people who want to do what you are doing. Mixing in Garmin (without knowing how it works) achieves nothing but it adds a deep layer of confusion. Trust me. I am sure the people on the TomTom forum are very nice, too.

PPPS If all else fails. Set your device to avoid motorways, but allow toll roads and seasonal closures and select 'Twisty roads' or whatever it's called. Set the auto recalculation to 'on'. Maybe set the device to avoid U-turns. Then just enter the name of the next town you want to get to, say 50 miles away. The device will plot you its interpretation of your request. Then just ride the magenta line. If you go off route or see a road you want to ride down, take it. If you have set the device to avoid U-turns, it won't just turn you around to get you quickly back onto the original route. The device will though always recalculate to bring you to your ultimate destination, so you'll never get lost.

How goes it, Keith?

I apologise for my tardiness in replying....his nibs has just informed of the super useful replies.

I'll read all of this properly later as domestic 'summer' chores are imminent, but I really appreciate both yours & Lee's advice....thank you.

What I have done is produce a list of waypoints/euro post codes with distances on my phone & then input them onto the zumo, so @ the very least I have a series of logically routed places....I always select to avoid motorways & toll roads (my preference).

If you (by your own choice) select to avoid toll roads, you might well find that your device refuses to route you down any road that has a toll gate on it. As you sometimes have to pay a toll to ride some passes, you'll be very frustrated. This will of course be Garmin's fault.

If you (by your own choice) select to avoid toll roads, you might well find that your device refuses to route you down any road that has a toll gate on it. As you sometimes have to pay a toll to ride some passes, you'll be very frustrated. This will of course be Garmin's fault.

Quite correct....Garmin's fault ;)

Duly noted Richard....thanks :D

Quote,Bounce (.I always select to avoid motorways & toll roads (my preference).) not on that route you have linked to, there is a good portion of toll down to reims, of course you may have done that knowingly, although that then begs the question of the quote.

Quote,Bounce (.I always select to avoid motorways & toll roads (my preference).) not on that route you have linked to, there is a good portion of toll down to reims, of course you may have done that knowingly, although that then begs the question of the quote.

I did tick the 'no tolls/no highways' boxes.....however, in this delightful learning process it's clearly gone a bit tits up......nevertheless, I now have a detailed list of waypoints to select which will form a wonderful & free flowing route ;)

Back
Top Bottom