Bonneville T100 Rolling Restoration

chopper_harris

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I collected the Bonneville T100 from Chester on Saturday afternoon, and arrived home without incident.
The old girl is in good shape for 11 years and 41,000 miles, and still pulls strongly through the gears on full throttle.

The plan is to leave it aesthetically standard, and focus on performance improvements.

The first task was to get rid of the rear rack, and strip/clean the rear mudguard which was caked in crud.
I know from experience with an old 400/4 that once rust gets under the cable retainers, it is impossible to repair effectively.

Rear%20Stripped%201_zpsjt0st8uj.jpg

It cleaned up well, with a touch of ACF50 to keep it that way.

R%20Fender_zpsd4kfi8ex.jpg

Some surface corrosion on the LH silencer, cleaned and treated.

R%20Exh_zpsqf6ivshj.jpg

The front brake felt wooden and ineffective - one of the pistons was seized.
A caliper strip/clean and dressing the pads soon sorted that.

One issue that I spotted was a carb balance port open to the atmosphere. It looks as though the PO had lost the correct cap, and had used a piece of tube with a plug.
The plug was long gone - replacing with a proper cap significantly improved the smooth running at idle.

Carb%20Plug_zpskt0ipmav.jpg

Back together for lunchtime

020717%20LHS_zps1z5y9s9a.jpg

And out for a nice Sunday afternoon run

Parbold%20RHS_zps8xiuj97e.jpg

The plan is for the airbox removal, rejetting and a pair of easier breathing silencers.

Apart from that, I think it looks just about right - any practical experience on tuning a modern carb'd Bonneville would be very welcome !

If you fnd it a little undergeared (I did), I have an unused one-tooth bigger front sprocket for a T100. £10 posted, PM me if you are interested.

Paul

Looking good, nice bikes these Bonnevilles, picture taken in layby on Parbold hill?

Attachments

• t100 at parbold hill.jpg
    t100 at parbold hill.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 328
Air box removal

I'm interested in doing this ... what are your plans ? Mod the original box or buy a new one ? If so which one ?

I picked up a pair of ToR sliencers (genuine Triumph, aftermarket with better flow and nice bark) from Russ, plus a Dart flyscreen.

The cheap/easy option is to improve the flow through the standard airbox :

http://www.triumphtwinpower.com/triumph-twin-easy-airbox-baffle-removal.php

The optimal solution is to rip and replace with a custom battery box from British Customs, who are based in US and charge $299 :

https://www.british-customs.com/bonneville-thruxton-air-box-removal-kit-carbuerted

It appears that an eBay chancer has set himself up as an importer of BC kit, charging £299 :

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/triumph-bonneville--thruxton-bc-air-box-removal-kit---efi--carb-models-24280-p.asp

Selling from home, he is based in Skelmersdale, whcih is two miles away from me but will not allow collection and charges shipping.

I prefer the rip/replace kit from BC, and have sent them a note to ask if they have an official EU distributor.

If we can order two, or maybe a group buy, that should get a decent discount - I will drop you a note when I receive a response from BC.

I've used Square Deals in the past, like you I live a couple of miles away. I'm a bit miffed that you can't collect your stuff in order to avoid P+P. I now use them as last resort.

Feck! why didn't I think of that?

I collected a Triumph Scrambler front sprocket from him a few years ago. Cheap as chips.
Great fun trying to find it though.:eek: Satnav strongly recommended in the Skelmersdale Triangle.:D

Back
Top Bottom