V-Strom 1000 XT 2017

steele01

Reaction score
Hey everyone so finally got the new bike settled on a Suzuki V-strom 1000 XT yay!

After having a few Suzukis in the past race and road gsx-r’s 600 and 750 + a 1980’s gsx750et that I’m restoring at the moment sorta made sense + a 3 year warranty if I needed it although I’m likely to self service.

After the first ride back on the Suzuki very impressed after the BMW GSA LC very refined no throttle Jerk, probably down to the cable,
found it very smooth.

Suspension very plush compared to the Dynamic Esa and consistent to great thing about manual suspension I guess.

I’m pretty tall so looking forward to getting the New touring screen from Suzuki when it comes out.

Gonna try a few of the genuine Suzuki parts, came with Tumblrs keyed to the ignition key for the Suzuki Panniers, been told a lot of the parts are different to the older V2 model fit wise.

Clocks are very clear and easy to read the speed you are doing,

bar bend felt natural for me although I do need thicker soled boots can flat foot on one foot but off camber is a bit of a pain in Dianese Axial Pro boots

Day two

Typical Suzuki felt right at home from the get go.

Had an amazing second ride couldn’t venture to far as my dads back is injured from work was killing him on his 750 gsx-r

Did A roads motorway B roads, some tiny roads all sorts of roads haha.

Dad was surprised at how I far I had it over very confidence inspiring even while running the engine in such a wave of torque.

So far loving everything about it a very impressive underdog of a bike looking forward to checking out some off road in Iceland next year.

Not said that about a bike for a long time :) can't wait to finish running her in then do some big trips.

Strangely enough I was looking at the same model the other day and was very impressed

well worth a test ride :) I've been lucky enough to own a variety of bikes classics race and new superbikes + the bmw I had, this V-strom really impresses me with it's no nonsense approach + cornering abs is nice to have, typical Suzuki made a very refined package.

Looks nice. Any idea of top speed and tank range ?

Was showing 200 ish the other day 20l tank :)

Not sure on top speed enough to get you in trouble haha

Was looking at one this evening in Franceshire. Looked to be a quality bike,

If you are doing all your own servicing - why go for brand new (3yr warranty) - any failures you want to claim for, you are kind of on your back feet despite what some people think?

Al

3 year warranty is standard on Suzuki No extra cost unlike BMWs :D so might just take it for the first 3 years to be serviced dealer prices are pretty reasonable just glad its a bike I won't need to take any extended warranty out on for fear of something expensive breaking. Few mates of mine did huge milage on the 2014+ model

3 year warranty is standard on Suzuki No extra cost unlike BMWs :D so might just take it for the first 3 years to be serviced dealer prices are pretty reasonable just glad its a bike I won't need to take any extended warranty out on for fear of something expensive breaking. Few mates of mine did huge milage on the 2014+ model

I would love to see one with some decent aluminium luggage fitted (Givi) ,engine bars , spots and the option from Suzuki of a 28/30 litres tank.

In 2014 when I was speaking to a group of Austrians staying on the Grossglockner at the Edelweiss Hutte , they were all on hexhead BMW's apart from 2 on the then new 1000 V Stroms.

Both of them loved the V Stroms and the reason they were on them was because their new r1200gs lc models were in being repaired (clutch/gearbox failures)

That's sort of my plan either Metal Mule or gonna give the suzuki stuff a go, gonna try Touratech Rails, did see the suzuki ones look pretty tasty and descreet.

Sounds about right haha I honestly don't know how they managed to keep the issues with them out of the press for so long.

That's sort of my plan either Metal Mule or gonna give the suzuki stuff a go, gonna try Touratech Rails, did see the suzuki ones look pretty tasty and descreet.

Sounds about right haha I honestly don't know how they managed to keep the issues with them out of the press for so long.

Givi stuff is very well made though they have a habit of hanging the side cases way out in the breeze. You might want to try bespoke side frames.

You can reduce service costs by removing/refitting bodywork plastic yourself.

I'm looking around for a change from my 1200 and the V strom looks good though I've seen more reviews about the 650 than the 1000

Apart from being obviously more powerful, is the 1000 a better bike? The idea of having something lighter than my GS is tempting so the 650 could be good - if capable enough. Test rides needed

I'm looking around for a change from my 1200 and the V strom looks good though I've seen more reviews about the 650 than the 1000

Apart from being obviously more powerful, is the 1000 a better bike? The idea of having something lighter than my GS is tempting so the 650 could be good - if capable enough. Test rides needed

i swopped my 09 gs for a 650 last november. 2500k mls on it now. i missed the outright grunt of the gs for, oh about 200mls and certainly after it was run in i came to realise what a cracking bike it is. i set up the sag on the rear suspension and after a wee experiment screwed up the rebound by 1/4 turn . now i have a comfy good handling bike that does over 60mls/gal. i fitted a puig screen extender which works most of the time. the strom seems less affected by wind than the gs. the one thing i would say is the trailwing tyres are not great in wet/dirty conditions so maybe worth getting the dealer to swap to something of your choice from the get go. i got crash bars, sump protector, oxford heated grips, tank protector strip, handguards and centre stand via suzuki's £750 accessories offer. got a good enough deal from shirlaws. hope that answers some questions, cheers, jags.

i swopped my 09 gs for a 650 last november. 2500k mls on it now. i missed the outright grunt of the gs for, oh about 200mls and certainly after it was run in i came to realise what a cracking bike it is. i set up the sag on the rear suspension and after a wee experiment screwed up the rebound by 1/4 turn . now i have a comfy good handling bike that does over 60mls/gal. i fitted a puig screen extender which works most of the time. the strom seems less affected by wind than the gs. the one thing i would say is the trailwing tyres are not great in wet/dirty conditions so maybe worth getting the dealer to swap to something of your choice from the get go. i got crash bars, sump protector, oxford heated grips, tank protector strip, handguards and centre stand via suzuki's £750 accessories offer. got a good enough deal from shirlaws. hope that answers some questions, cheers, jags.

Cheers. Shirlaws will get a visit in the near future. Have you tried it two up?

hope you can squeeze a good deal out of john gilbert. haven't tried it 2 up yet as the wife isn't so keen on a ride nowadays:D. the only thing would be less power but it is a very gutsy motor.

650 vs 1000

hope you can squeeze a good deal out of john gilbert. haven't tried it 2 up yet as the wife isn't so keen on a ride nowadays:D. the only thing would be less power but it is a very gutsy motor.

Hi,just been down that route tested both bikes bought the 650!! brill little bike if you are solo,but gutless two up i now own a 1000:blast .all im saying is get a test ride with your pillion if thats what you are going to do.

Hi,just been down that route tested both bikes bought the 650!! brill little bike if you are solo,but gutless two up i now own a 1000:blast .all im saying is get a test ride with your pillion if thats what you are going to do.

Mainly by myself but the missus does come on a trip sometimes, test ride is the only way. At least you stuck with the vstrom which says a lot

Had a 2011 one. Did trips to France two up with full luggage, all over the Pyrenees and Tarn areas. Bike never missed a beat. Got 65mpg out of it.
Regular days out round Snowdonia - same story.
Remember - gears are there for a reason.
The only downside is that they wopuldn't let me on the ferry until I wrote "GS Explorer" on the tank with my wife's lippy.

Well I currently have a 2015 V Strom 1000 residing in my garage, not mine but belonging to my brother in law, one owner bike with 3350 miles on the clock and a cracking bit of kit for under £6.5K from a Suzuki dealer .

We picked it up yesterday and had a run up around Kielder, it goes well and he was getting in excess of 56 mpg, it will be interesting to see what it goes like on a trip to Germany in June

Back
Top Bottom