puncture repairs

Tacho D

Reaction score
I carried all the way across Europe tyre levers, a puncture repair kit and two spare tubes for my Metzeler Tourances, then on my funduro. Luckily not a single puncture so didn't need them. I was then told by my motorcycle mechanic, I was wasting my time as there was no way I could get that tyre of the rim. Is this true? What options are there for repairing punctures, and how easy is it to do? :confused:

I'm surprised you carried the tools without first seeing if you could use them first. Has your bike tubes or tubeless rims? It's a easy job to fix a puncture. Things that make it easier are a centre stand and the tools. Some way of pumping up the tyre afterwards is also nescessary. JJH

I was then told by my motorcycle mechanic, I was wasting my time as there was no way I could get that tyre of the rim. Is this true?

Of course it's true.
You don't replace the tyre on your bike when it's worn out, you buy a new wheel with the tyre fitted at the BMW factory.

You only get punctures if you don't carry all the tools to fix them.

Not true. 5 in 3 years. 4 on a gsa800 fucking tubes. 1 on my 1200gsa. 5 minute job. JJH

Perhaps some type of sealant like Slime, Puncturesafe, Goop or OKO may be enough to keep you going until you can get help.

I've put OKO in my new T120 tyres/inner tubes. If it doesn't work then the RAC can sort it out.

Attachments

• goop.JPG
    goop.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 254
Thats encouraging, the other consideration being tubed versus tubeless. What are the comparisons as regards ease of repairing punctures, off the beaten track? I've always been a bit sceptical of sealants, maybe they work as a temporary solution but do they make repairs to tubes/tyres impossible?

I don't care what anybody says I say that sealants are not suitable for use with tubes. They are good for mending certain types of punctures on tubeless tyers. I am not a fan of the type of sealant that you put in as a preventative as they can mask damage that you would fix fi you had a puncture that was deflating. In other words you could be riding around with a 6 inch nail in your back tyer and not know. JJH

I carried all the way across Europe tyre levers, a puncture repair kit and two spare tubes for my Metzeler Tourances, then on my funduro. Luckily not a single puncture so didn't need them. I was then told by my motorcycle mechanic, I was wasting my time as there was no way I could get that tyre of the rim. Is this true? What options are there for repairing punctures, and how easy is it to do? :confused:

Generally by the time I've realised I've got a flat while riding, the tyre is suitable warm and already fallen off the rim, so no real issues :D. Changing tyres/ tubes isn't difficult, but it can be made significantly easier with practise.

Tubeless tyres are generally easier to fix with the tyre plugger, unless you mangle a rim on a rick while riding or manage to split the tyre, but If you stay on tarmac this shouldn't be much of a problem.

Back
Top Bottom