High Speed Wobble

Villanjc

Reaction score
Anyone experience high speed weave/wobble on the Superadventure S over 100mph?

Maybe its the tyres, has anyone changed to anything other than OE tyres?

Cheers

No mine is rock solid up to 150 mph on standard tyres

not been to Europe yet, going soon. Was nervous buying a 1290 as in 2013 my mates 1190 Adv seemed unhappy at 90 Mph + and weaved.?

Let u know how mine is end of the month.

Cheers Paddy
Mine has only recently developed the issue, maybe its tyre wear.
I will try some Metzelers on and see how they are!

Seems quite a common problem on the forum on Adventure bike rider forum!

They're mostly yanks and mostly don't know their arse from their elbow .. :D

Mine's rock solid ... :thumb2

Mate came to France on his week old 1290SA and was really unnerved by a speed wobble approaching 100mph, now he's a good rider-far better than I and if it worried him it was serious. Only happened I believe because he was panniered up, top box and tank bag. No combination of sussy setting relieved the effect. Cannot be due to wear on tyres as they were brand spankers.
Found his pannier frames were loose after arriving at the villa in France (whether from vibration or bad pdi, I don't know), tightend them and they seemed to remain tight for the return journey but the wobble was still evident.

Mate came to France on his week old 1290SA and was really unnerved by a speed wobble approaching 100mph, now he's a good rider-far better than I and if it worried him it was serious. Only happened I believe because he was panniered up, top box and tank bag. No combination of sussy setting relieved the effect. Cannot be due to wear on tyres as they were brand spankers.
Found his pannier frames were loose after arriving at the villa in France (whether from vibration or bad pdi, I don't know), tightend them and they seemed to remain tight for the return journey but the wobble was still evident.

Did he find worse in sports mode with sports damping, I ask because after trying all the different settings it is worse with these settings.

As for them mostly being yanks and don't know what they are on about, that's as maybe but I do, I have been riding bikes of all kinds for 32 years.

I took this bike straight to the Pyrenees when I bought it and had a blast with no issues at all, but the wobbles have now set in!

Off to the dealer to get it checked I think!

Another day with autobahn cruising and no issues despite 3 huge metal boxes fully loaded.

Feels vague (and a bit hurried) past a ton, as do most bikes with big front wheels, rear weight bias and long travel suspension.

Not sure at what speed the panniers will fall off at which prevents me going fast enough for wobbles to be an issue.

If folk want to cruise at well over a ton there are much better bikes out there for that.

Just back from 1800 miles in France,Germany and Austria. 1290SA S was faultless.

Heated seat and grips useful in the rain, saw a lot of rain, but found some dry roads to really exploit the bikes full potential.

Not sure if the standard Pirelli tyres will be replaced for another set in 1500 miles, may go for Conti attacks.
Fuel consumption not bad.
power parts seat so worth the money.
:aidan

Attachments

• IMG_5285.JPG
    IMG_5285.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
My 1190 used to weave like hell. Especially with 155 on the clocks up mountain mile on the island a couple of weeks after I bought it. :bounce1

Then I set the suspension up, and whodathunked it, sorting the suspension out pretty much eliminated all steering issues.:blast

It needs a LOT of damping wound on IME.

Ok, so just got back from a week away on mine, and occasionally over 130mph it would start to waggle a bit, if the weather was a bit windy, but other than that it was fine. I didn't bother playing with the suspension settings, maybe I should have.:nenau

Ok, so just got back from a week away on mine, and occasionally over 130mph it would start to waggle a bit, if the weather was a bit windy, but other than that it was fine. I didn't bother playing with the suspension settings, maybe I should have.:nenau

Yeah its at that sort of speed and worse with Sport/Sport selected !
:nenau

How was the bike nuts? Compared to your GS/GSA

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom