IAM Surety any good??

dave hendy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi there

Has anyone had good or bad experience with IAM Surety bike insurance? My insurance is due on the 18th and they are by far the best quote!

My present insurance renewal is £221 up from £170 last year but when I told them about my new bike (getting at renewal) it went up to £650!!!

IAM surety will do it for £209 with a lower excess, although the cost isn't everything if their service is rubbish?

Thanks
Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never claimed but I use them with no problems, they also offer class 1 business cover automatically for IAM qualified riders.

Not sure that helps...

RBW.

Just about to change back to them after 12 months away. Never had any previous need to claim.

I have my car with them, but not had to claim.

I nearly put my bike with them, but then found out that if you declare the bike is garaged you can't leave it parked outside your house at any time of the day because if it's stolen you'll not be covered as it's not in the garage. In fact, you cannot leave it parked within a certain radius of your house for the same reason. Now I live in an area where my bike isn't likely to get nicked whilst on the drive, but I'm not going to risk it.

Other underwriters allow for parking outside your home between certain hours, but they double the excess.

Each year at bike renewal time they ring me to ask if they can quote, each time I ask if their underwriter has changed their policy regarding parking outside your house, each time they check and come back with the same answer, no.

I was once with them for a car for a year. They were not the very best value and I found the service disappointingly off hand when renewal time came around. Miles too expensive a quote on the bikes. I did not use them again.

I have my car with them, but not had to claim.

I nearly put my bike with them, but then found out that if you declare the bike is garaged you can't leave it parked outside your house at any time of the day because if it's stolen you'll not be covered as it's not in the garage. In fact, you cannot leave it parked within a certain radius of your house for the same reason. Now I live in an area where my bike isn't likely to get nicked whilst on the drive, but I'm not going to risk it.

Other underwriters allow for parking outside your home between certain hours, but they double the excess.

Each year at bike renewal time they ring me to ask if they can quote, each time I ask if their underwriter has changed their policy regarding parking outside your house, each time they check and come back with the same answer, no.

I have had that with other insurance companies

I don't really mind that as my drive slopes so I put my bike in the garage when I get home

I'm with them as they provide cover for blood biking. Seem pretty good, also gave me a good quote for my car. The bike garage thing is a bit of a pain, as it states the bike isn't covered for theft or malicious damage if the bike is left on your drive or any location within half a mile of your home. Not an issue for me, but did ask what would happen if you were retiring home and stopped at a petrol station which was within half a mile and something happened. Their reply was, we would look at it sensibly - not sure I trust that. As it is, I don't have a petrol station within half a mile, so not an issue :) Just hope nobody pinches the bike off my drive after I've washed it.

I'm with them as they provide cover for blood biking. Seem pretty good, also gave me a good quote for my car. The bike garage thing is a bit of a pain, as it states the bike isn't covered for theft or malicious damage if the bike is left on your drive or any location within half a mile of your home. Not an issue for me, but did ask what would happen if you were retiring home and stopped at a petrol station which was within half a mile and something happened. Their reply was, we would look at it sensibly - not sure I trust that. As it is, I don't have a petrol station within half a mile, so not an issue :) Just hope nobody pinches the bike off my drive after I've washed it.

That's a point I do have a petrol station within half a mile (Tesco):blast

Its all an attempt by the Insurance industry as a whole to screw everyone to the wall with ridiculous conditions. Its a load of bollocks that they want you to NOT keep your bike on your property if its not garaged. What happens if say you come home from work and leave it in the drive intending going out again after your tea, and it gets nicked or kicked over ? So they are saying your not covered ? Bastards the lot of em, just ask Wapping, but I bet he will deny it.

Its all an attempt by the Insurance industry as a whole to screw everyone to the wall with ridiculous conditions. Its a load of bollocks that they want you to NOT keep your bike on your property if its not garaged. What happens if say you come home from work and leave it in the drive intending going out again after your tea, and it gets nicked or kicked over ? So they are saying your not covered ? Bastards the lot of em, just ask Wapping, but I bet he will deny it.

You are correct

Not parking on your drive for an hour is a recent thing, in the last 5 years...............with CN you only have to garage between 10pm and 6am and most times I come home and park it on the drive for an hour or so, whilst I have a mug or tea or a beer in summer, so the 'always garaged' clause would be a royal PITA for me

Same with pillion cover, 5 years ago it was never mentioned and now you have to add it in

When I insure my car, they never ask me to declare if I am taking passengers at any time

Fecking scam

You are correct

Not parking on your drive for an hour is a recent thing, in the last 5 years...............with CN you only have to garage between 10pm and 6am and most times I come home and park it on the drive for an hour or so, whilst I have a mug or tea or a beer in summer, so the 'always garaged' clause with be a royal PITA for me

Same with pillion cover, 5 years ago it was never mentioned and now you have to add it in

When I insure my car, they never ask me to declare if I am taking passengers at any time

Fecking scam

Wow ! JB agreeing with me, bloody hell that must be a first :thumb2:green gri:D

This issue has been discussed in previous threads and one sensible idea put forward was to not state the bike is garaged. Apparently the difference in premium may not be great dependant upon postcode but worth a try.

I've just passed my iam
Surety didn't hang around calling me for details when I'm due to reinsurance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was with them for years then prices suddenly shot up so i ditched em for the bike. Still got car with em though.

I insured my Bonneville with them this year, they beat other quotes by 10% and put the policy with Aegis.

I thought I'd try them when I bought anothe bike and they added it to the Bonneville policy for about £33, same cover and mileage allowance. Apparently they base additional bike fees on 2% of bikes value plus IPT then pro rata it for remaining policy duration.

No complaints here

My harley is with them £135. Just got bmw quote with them £245, Bennetts offering my renew at £145.
Will give them a ring but get a little tired of bargaining, why not give me the best price first time round? In the days befor go compare etc when it took a lot of effort I can see them making a bit but now who doesn't shop around at renewal?

Thanks for all the information I think I will give them a go as it is the best price and excess!

My harley is with them £135. Just got bmw quote with them £245, Bennetts offering my renew at £145.
Will give them a ring but get a little tired of bargaining, why not give me the best price first time round? In the days befor go compare etc when it took a lot of effort I can see them making a bit but now who doesn't shop around at renewal?

My sentiments exactly. They don't give you best price because they and every other ins co are cuntards trying to get as much of your hard earned as possible.

Back
Top Bottom