An old man's fancy: advice re a 2001 R1100S

Simon_100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK I know it's not a GS. But I have an X-Country for romping in the mountains and, well. I just like the look of this bike and I've found one on sale down the coast with all the extras, ABS, engine crash bars, carbon mudguard single seat thingy - the 'girlies' don't bother me any more ... - and it looks the dog's b***ocks all in black ...

It's got 64,000 kms which seems a lot for a sporty bike so I'll be on the lookout for anything obvious. But I don't know a thing about boxers let alone oilseeds. So anything I should be particularly aware of - and any hints about how I broach the subject with Mrs S wild be extremely welcome! :)

Regs

Simon

let alone oilseeds. So anything I should be particularly aware of -

Neither do I, but oilheads are pretty solid :D

and any hints about how I broach the subject with Mrs S wild be extremely welcome! :)
2 Choices:
  1. You don't "broach" you tell her that you are getting another bike because of the rule W=N+1. Where N is the number of bikes you have and W is the number you want.
  2. Simple you just get it and don't say aything like is just a casual purchase, better to seek forgivness than permission.

Neither do I, but oilheads are pretty solid :D

2 Choices:
  1. You don't "broach" you tell her that you are getting another bike because of the rule W=N+1. Where N is the number of bikes you have and W is the number you want.
  2. Simple you just get it and don't say aything like is just a casual purchase, better to seek forgivness than permission.

Ha ha, I like that. Actually my underground parking place is ten kms away from home ...

Regs

Simon

I had an 1100s sport model for 11 years, I only changed to the GS due to having knee and elbow issues which made the 1100 uncomfortable, they are fairly bulletproof, can have final drive issues like most BMW,s mine was 2000reg and had done 40k (miles) when I sold it last year, have a look on the boxertrix forum, loads of info, some of the bikes I know have done well over 100k miles.
Fairly easy to home service, several different models, sport model has uprated suspension and wider rear wheel, Boxer cups have pretty paint and laser exhausts along with sport suspension and wider wheel.
At the age you are looking at the wiring loom sheathing will have started to fall apart and can lead to minor electrical niggles.
If you haven't ridden a boxer before they are a bit different and can take a bit of getting used to, so make sure you have a decent test ride if you can.

Al.

I had an 1100s sport model for 11 years, I only changed to the GS due to having knee and elbow issues which made the 1100 uncomfortable, they are fairly bulletproof, can have final drive issues like most BMW,s mine was 2000reg and had done 40k (miles) when I sold it last year, have a look on the boxertrix forum, loads of info, some of the bikes I know have done well over 100k miles.
Fairly easy to home service, several different models, sport model has uprated suspension and wider rear wheel, Boxer cups have pretty paint and laser exhausts along with sport suspension and wider wheel.
At the age you are looking at the wiring loom sheathing will have started to fall apart and can lead to minor electrical niggles.
If you haven't ridden a boxer before they are a bit different and can take a bit of getting used to, so make sure you have a decent test ride if you can.

Al.

Thanks for this Al. I rode down to take a look at it today and it's not for me. The riding position is still too 'radical'. in the 'seventies I had Ducatis and a Laverda and I realised that my back and neck just won't be up to it. The bike also felt so heavy compared to my X-Country and in fact was rather tatty, lots of tell-take scratched and dents. So I've saved my marriage, well at least for now, had a great day out riding down thew coast - and inland - to see it and I'm about £3,500 better off, so on the lookout for something else to while away my time ...

Thanks to one and all. Great forum! :)

Simon

Simon, just to put a small seed of doubt in your mind😀you can raise the bars above the top yoke and get a footpeg lowering kit, makes a bit of difference to riding position and comfort.

Al.

Back
Top Bottom