Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Not another Brit touring the Colonies.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Following my exit from Ely, my planned stop in Truckee ended up looking like it wasn't going to happen, so I looked for some campsites around Tahoe. I couldn't of picked a worse weekend for this, as there was some big shin-ding for the rich and mighty celebrity sports set, so everywhere was booked. Couple this with my tech woes and bugger all signal on The Lonliest Road, and I was hunting Micky D's for some free wifi. I duly found some and got a couple of emails out to Sean, Stu and James, down Tahoe way. James was headed out, but said I could stop by and Sean said h e had a houseful, but to call by and he'd squeeze me in. Poor old Stu, I didn't get his message, and when I did, he didn't get my reply. My apologies to those people my phone's let down by not delivering messages. My huge thanks to Sean, for allowing me to join his High School Chums for a meal, chinwag and a night in his garage, that was a huge help and it was great to meet your friends.

This was my bedside company for the night.

Sean and his lovely wife and super friends.

If quitters never win and winners never quit... What idiot came up with 'Quit while you're ahead'??????

Right, i'm still here, been on the road a few days and all these friendly Americans' I keep meeting are taking up my trip report time, so i'm running a couple of short mileage days to give me some time to upload photo's and do some writing. I'm on the bike - more on that later - but here's a bit of a catch up.

Following on from my stay in Auburn, I headed back up to Truckee and commenced a run round the South side of Lake Tahoe. It appears I also missed out on the chance to get another mountain bike ride in, as I called in at Stu's place in Foresthill, but he was out. I left a note to say i'd called by and he got back to me later, saying he'd been out on his mountain bike! Oh, well, maybe another time.

Tahoe was crazy busy, as there was this big celebrity love-in going on, and I was still in the hire car, so I didn't bother stopping and just drove through. On way way, I spotted these guys, so called in for a bit f a professional chinwag.

After putting the world straight, and finding out the US Gov't is treating their Firemen the same as our UK members i.e. shafting our pensions and other similarities (albeit they do get paid a fair chunk more than I did) I continued down the road, to Lodi, and my next stop for the night.

I was staying with Doug and Janet and Doug's quite the character, with a wealth of biking and constructional experience. Doug's into his wine, and has quite the special back garden, and he took me out for a little wine sampling at a local winery he's done a fair chunk of constructional work for. It was quite the experience, and it was nice to see a great collection of American antique furniture, and also chat to the owner for some first hand knowledge and experience. We then went out to grab a bite in a local bar, where I had a rather spiffing Jambalaya and then Doug took me down to the local A&W for a root beer float, my first one. For the history buff, Lodi is the birth place of A&W, where root beer was created. The local store has loads of memorabilia, including a long shelf of all the different serving cups from over the years. If I remember, it was invented in 1912. Doug, please feel free to correct me on this.
    Root beer's interesting. It made me think of when I was a kid at the dentist's and was having a tooth extracted. The taste reminded me of the smell of the operating room at the Dentist's. With an iceceam float on, it was rather nice.

The Holckster!

We headed back for an early night and I had a leisurely start in the morning, so had time for Doug to provide me with loads of info on Alaska. If anyone's in the Lodi area, I suggest looking him up as he and Janet are a great couple, well travelled and have many a story to tell.

Doug's back garden

My super hosts, Doug and Janet

If quitters never win and winners never quit... What idiot came up with 'Quit while you're ahead'??????

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Hook line and sinker, top lip, you've caught me

It's a long way from Dent .... have a fabulous trip, enjoy, ride safe .... and keep the reports and photos coming Rich

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Woohoo, my bike arrived. I've stayed a couple of nights with Brent, in his man cave and will shortly be heading ooop north. However, I dd encounter a few problems, only minor, so no real issues.
    First was getting the bike out of Customs. Good old James Cargo sent me over with the wrong form for the bike. The one they provided was for if you were going to the DMV and registering the bike for the US. Also, they told both Mark and I to go to Customs first, which we duly did, only to be told we needed the release form from the shipper. Poor old Mark had to trudge from one end of Boston to the other in order to achieve this, but I had the Customs Office, the Virgin Cargo Office and, fortunately for me, the Post Office all in a short walking distance from each other. I needed the latter as i'd been told to pay the fee by cash, only to be told by Virgin that they only accepted Money Orders. Anyhow, I got the bike and rode back to Alameda.
    The next hassle was my magsafe charger packing up, so a ride to Apple ensued for a replacement. Then I had to get a new puncture kit, as JC had removed my tiny tubes of rubber cement from the bike before shipping. Got to be careful you know, that tiny tube could blow up the plane.

I wonder what's in this box...

These chaps gave me a hand to unpack.

On the way back I spotted this. Last time I remember seeing something like this was on Breaking Bad

On my last day in Alameda, I headed for the former Navy Ship Yard. It's a massive place, opened in aid of the American War effort. There's still an old aircraft carrier there you can look round, along with some ships that were built, mothballed and have stayed moored there ever since.
    Brent was saying the site's not likely to stay this way much longer, with house prices sky rocketing in The Bay Area, it'll end up being built on.

The big cranes you see on the ships are for when (if) the ships have to head into a smaller port that doesn't have any crane facilities, so they're completely self sufficient in their needs for loading and unloading.

These huge hangers have doors that opened up fully to take in the big flying boats that were stationed here.

Then it was on my way to Alaska, over the Bay Bridge, which is always crazy busy with massive queues, but I was on the bike and filtered my way up front with relative ease.

and over the Bay Bridge we go. (One for the Mike O fans, there'll be a barn later

and into a Karl Malden moment, on The Streets Of San Francisco.

Then it was over The Golden Gate and, mostly fortunate for me, the mist had mainly cleared, so I got an ok shot.

Then along some nicely surfaced roads, heading for the coast.

Which I duly found.

There were a few closed sections and quite a few delays due to wash outs from the harsh winter they've experienced this last year.

But the delays were worth it.

One more of the GGB

Today I had a few miles to cover, as I had a tent space invite in Ferndale OR. So I whizzed along at a fair chuff, but stopped to grab a photo of a hole in a tree.

Had a nice lady that offered to take my picture of me and I returned the favour. She took a couple of shots and this one came out ok.

I rode through and grabbed another one of the bike on t'other side.

I then continued onwards, along The Avenue of Gaints, which was a lovely ride, but poor to photograph. Although lovely, I had an impression in my mind that the trees would be much bigger than they are in real life, but great to ride through them all the same.

Then it was on to my new buddy, Mark's place for the night. Mark had mentioned he'd had a recent poor experience on tent space, where a small group had stayed who needed their hands holding most of the time they'd stayed. Both Mark, and his wife, Meredith work hard and live in a small home. Ideally, they're geared up for one or two travellers tenting in their garden for an overnight stop. I told Mark I was happy to kip in a quiet corner and he'd hardly notice I was there, or could have a chat over a beer and be sociable, and I certainly didn't need mollycoddling. That went down well and we went out for a rather nice pizza and back for a drink around the fire, before an early night ensued.

Another top host, Mark.

Dream Maker
    I can see you had to duck to get under the tree :-)

Hope you took the coast all the way up to the chandalier tree as the top section is a magnificent ride.
    www.unchainedtours.com

"Of all the forces that make for a better world, none is so powerful as hope.
    With hope, one can think, one can work, one can dream.
    If you have hope, you have everything."

http://www.unchainedtours.com

I've stuck to the coast as much as the landslides would let me. However, it's been very windy, with a few gusts trying really hard to whip me off the bike.

Leaving Mark and Meredith behind, I headed for Hw36. Yes, I know it's not North, but my buddy Cheesy Mike, said I had to do 36 if I was in the area.

On turning into 36, I passed Frank's place.

For the first part of the run, I followed this chap on a KLR. We had to stop for some roadworks, so I had a chance to say hi. He was local and proved to be a good rider to follow on this road. However, he turned off around halfway and left me to my own devices.

The road swoops right

and the road swoops left

Gratuitous barn shot for Mike O fans.

and then we start climbing.

for some big views

I also spotted these retired fire trucks

The road levels out at the top and then the windy decent begins, which was very good and I was in the groove, so didn't stop for photo's.

You then descend into the heat and the scenery changes.

Gong on 36 West to East is a good way to do it. It's long and twisty, so you need to back off and refresh yourself. When you drop down to the heat, the road becomes a roller coaster of bumps that get you in the pit of your stomach. I found this helped keep me awake and alert, ready for my lunch stop in Red Bluff, at a Raley's supermarket.

[/url]

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Your lunch is comprised of what my lunch eats...
    We will never be here again - have a good look around

Dream Maker
    There are some great roads in that area and Hwy 36 is a belter. People often overlook Northern California in favour of some of the more "famous" routes and they really don't know what they are missing.
    www.unchainedtours.com

"Of all the forces that make for a better world, none is so powerful as hope.
    With hope, one can think, one can work, one can dream.
    If you have hope, you have everything."

http://www.unchainedtours.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    Your lunch is comprised of what my lunch eats...

Al.

I'll add more later, but if you're ever in Oregon, Sitkum Lane from Myrtle Point to Roseburg is better than 36 IMHO. And you get to do it twice if you do a loop ride to Crater Lake,

Heading back on 299, you head back into the mountains on a lovely, sweeping 5th/6th gear road.

lovely, sweepy bends

until I got to this landslide. The wait was half an hour, as they run the lorries through in convoy and load the slide debris, before letting 'us' road users through.

Chatting with the lolipop lady, they've been 18 months, so far, sorting this one out

The 299 mainly follows the river back to the coast. Fantastic.

and as you approach the coast in Oregon, you quickly go from hot to quite cool, as the sea temperature's still bloomin freezing and the fog rolls in. It's also magic fog, as the wind blows a hoolie and it doesn't shift it.

But the afternoon sun does burn some decent holes in it.

I saw this and though of you Andy Powell.

and into DaFoole's at Myrtle Point, for a weekend of beer, bbq and bollox with a bunch of Advriders.

Some of my neighbours

and the view from my front door

and the other way

Mike's bikes...

This guest from year one of DaFoole's and Perapin's weekends, never quite made it home, which was a little worrying!

This bunch of reprobates needed an Englishman present, t correct them in their pronunciation!

Great bunch of people, that made fro a brilliant weekend

We even had home made Jenga. That's yenga y'all!

Someone drank way too much beer, way too early.

Has anyone noticed all the Kermit chairs yet?

This looks interesting

Can you bear the suspense?

and the winner is!

More beer anyone?

As well as the old wrecks drinking all the beer...

there were also a couple of these parked up

and then we ate

That's Mike (DaFoole), sat on the right. Top chap!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast