Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Not another Brit touring the Colonies.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Saturday morning and a day trip to Crater Lake beckons. I head out from Mike's onto Sitkum Lane. This turns out to be a grand idea, Sitkum Lane proves to be one of the best roads i've rdden in the USA so far. I think it's even better than 36!

It's also got some off road that follows the river.

Nicely surfaced and twisty!

and some views on the way to Grants Pass.

and into the trees for the climb up to the lake

coming out on top.... are you ready for this?

Wow!

Crater

Lake's

Amazing

Another bridge for the Mike O fans

there's loads of this stuff going on all over Oregon.

and back for the Saturday night shenanigans

Some people were no-shows and weren't that highly thought of. :-)

I've never seen so many Kermit's in one place.

DaFoole. Top fella and the world's a better place with folks like this in it.

A rather cheesy customer

Good people.

If quitters never win and winners never quit... What idiot came up with 'Quit while you're ahead'??????

Leaving DaFoole's do, I headed North, up to Steve Carr's for the night. Going by my experience, it should be on every UKGSer's bucket list to attend an Advrider meeting.

There's a lot of watery stuff to see in Oregon.

They have some nice roads with posh armco.

and some great ocean views, but only when the fog clears.

Northern Oregon's got some good surf too.

But it's also bloomin windy!

Just a snap shot of the area.

Another gratuitous bridge shot

before arriving in Newport and spotting this strange structure.

If quitters never win and winners never quit... What idiot came up with 'Quit while you're ahead'??????

Nestled away, in a quiet corner, overlooking the river, near to Newport, live Steve and Marina. Another lovely couple, who also had some travelling friends visiting. They also had a Canadian house guest, John, who'd been in a little traffic collision and was laid up whilst trying to get his bike repair sorted. They've taken him in and are really looking after him, so hopefully he'll be back on the road sometime soon.

Newport's a fishing town, and it was great to see all the boats in the harbour. I've not seen this many boats in a similar UK fishing port in years.

They've got a spiffing bridge over the river too.

But living here does have some associated risks.

Steve also said I should look out for this place. Dennis Robinson, you'd love this.

Leaving Steve and Marina, it was up the Oregon Coast, through the magic fog, and into Astoria. Many years ago, I watched Kindergarten Cop, which was filmed here and always said to myself, if I ever get to the USA, i'd like to see Astoria. Well, I made it.

This place used to be a two story car sales showroom. Back in the day, there was a huge fire in Astoria that wiped out most of the town. This building....

and the one next door, are two of the few remaining original buildings in the town.

The showroom is now a brew house, restaurant and bakery/cafe. Brian had arranged to meet us there.

Brian had said his wife, Gretchen Allen, was also coming to join us for dinner, but the really nice surprise was when their daughter, Alexis Mather turned up as well. For those not in the know, Alexis is one smart cookie, beautiful and has only recently handed back her crown from being Miss Oregon.

It's rather a nice place and we had some very nice pizza.

If you've seen Kindergarten Cop, you'll recognise this place.

Astoria is at the mouth of The Columbia River. It's rather big and there are a lot of container/bulk carrier ships using the natural harbour.

Mark's having bike troubles.

it appears the ethanol has eaten his fuel strip, so he has no idea how much is in his tank.

This bridge is something else and is another, lasting, memory of a few movies that have been filmed here over the years.

I was photo bombed by this muppet.

And we've made The Pacific

Yup, both of us.

Not only is the country big over here, the bugs are too.

The bridge is one hell of a piece of engineering, but my memory of Kindergarten Cop is that it used to be white.

We stayed two, really enjoyable nights, with laughter and banter and treated our hosts to dinner at this spot.

Right on the river, the little boats sail by.

Then Brian took us to see a couple of the Astoria sights.

This rather large anchor

an even bigger screw

It was slippery getting up there

and one of the bikes, to keep Mark happy

Beaky Farkler Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Brilliant RR. Waiting for more. .

Just returned from a cage trip around the west coast. Some beautiful roads and scenery around that part of town begging for two wheels.

Oops, late night picture hosting balls up. The building next door.

At the other end of the bridge, is this small fort. I believe there's another one on the Astoria side and they were manned in the war to protect the river from Japanese attack.

On the hill above Astoria, you get some big views. There's a tiny dot, way in the distance, which is one of the houses that Brian's built. He works with his Brother and another chap, and they practically build the whole house themselves. A typical large, one story house in the US takes them around seven months.

Trying to get arty with this photography lark, but i only got the camera a short while before the trip.

Big, evening scenery

There's a tower on top which has been fully restored. Brian did mention what it was all about, but i've not remembered. It's a long and windy spiral staircase to the top, but well worth it for the view.

So the big trip really begins and we've got to rack some miles up now., so photo's and blogging may take a while. I had a loop of Mt St Helens sorted, but The Windy Ridge Viewpoint was closed, so we had to make the best of it and I came up with a couple of shots.

Here's one not spoilt by us being in it.

Glen, in Roy, had recommended stopping at this spot for lunch.

The best we could get from the lower section of Windy Ridge.

and back onto the road North

We're somewhere, but I can't remember where I took this one.

Glen Comeaux. Top Cajun y'all. We were his first tent spacers, hopefully we won't be his last. We went out for a bite at his local Italian, which was very nice indeed. We then got all the maps out and he showed us a few routes to do on the way up. Now the trip's really coming together.

So the big trip really begins and we've got to rack some miles up now., so photo's and blogging may take a while. I had a loop of Mt St Helens sorted, but The Windy Ridge Viewpoint was closed, so we had to make the best of it and I came up with a couple of shots.

Here's one not spoilt by us being in it.

Glen, in Roy, had recommended stopping at this spot for lunch.

The best we could get from the lower section of Windy Ridge.

and back onto the road North

We're somewhere, but I can't remember where I took this one.

Glen Comeaux. Top Cajun y'all. We were his first tent spacers, hopefully we won't be his last. We went out for a bite at his local Italian, which was very nice indeed. We then got all the maps out and he showed us a few routes to do on the way up. Now the trip's really coming together.

Looking like a brilliant trip, some great photos.

Looks a great trip Rich, have a good ride, the 1150 still looking good .,,,not jealous!

Almost a month and my first cloudy day. We're heading up to Ferndale, up the coast West of Seattle, to avoid the traffic craziness...

and found this place for a spot of lunch.

Really nice inside and they smoke/cure a lot of their own meats.

Complete with friendly owners.

A grey ride up to the Port Townsend ferry ensued, so not a lot of photos today, then on to our first boat trip. Which won't be our last.

Over this bridge at Deception Pass, with a grand view. We did stop and I took some pictures with the other camera, but not had chance to sort them yet. The road's been taking up a fair chunk of time.

Did a selfe outside this restaurant which, as the name suggests, is right next to the railroad.

and then onto our stay with Dave and Leah at their Blueberry Fram. They've got a passion for the farm and their biking, so were full of helpful hints and advice on where to go on our route.

Where we saw this strange contarption at work...

picking the blueberries.

This one then sifts/sorts them. You can programme it to filter out colours, sizes and densities, all by shooting air jets at the stuff you don't want. It processes the berries by an astronomical amount every hour, so it's all clever stuff.

Dave had some berries in their kitchen and I asked if he'd bought them from the local supermarket, which did make him smile.

Apologies for the double post, wifi's been sketchy, so wasn't sure if it had gone through or not.

Anyhow...

On the way to the Blueberry Farm, I also took a few photo's with my other camera, so here they are. Still gloomy at Port Townsend.

This older rig was parked up at the ferry terminal. We got chatting to the driver who said he had around 3 million km on it, but he may have been bragging. What he didn't brag about was the fuel, at 6 mpg and the ferry bill of $650. How anyone's making money on anything with those kind of delivery costs is beyond me.

Our ferry appeareth.

Which took us to the bridge over Deception Pass.

Quite a piece of engineering. You really have to be there to see how high the thing is!

And it gives you some magnificent views

and zoomed in a bit.

Mark got chatting to some locals from the nearby airforce base.

After riding miles, we kept seeing this big bugger, which never seemed to get any bigger or smaller from our perspective.

But it did get us to our next ferry, which was going to take us to Vancouver Island. With Mark and I meeting up earlier than expected, as well as major problems with wild fires in BC, we decided to add this extra loop onto our trip.

Ports are technical marvels of engineering.

But once away, the natural scenery takes over.

Top ferry trip through the Islands.

Which most people seemed to be enjoying out on deck.

Even this chap. I really must remember to add the flash when shooting shady characters. ;-)

Back with the little snappy and getting up to date again.
    Once back on the mainland, the sunshine returned and we had to get through Canadian Customs for our Victoria Ferry Crossing.

Which looked a little like this and some of the previous photos on my big camera.

Which got us into Victoria, where the lovely Jim and Brenda had offered to put us up at very short notice. A comfy bed each, a top piece of BBQing from Jim and some beer, saw the evening off a treat. We had a steadyish start the next day and Jim had kindly recommended a few routes and things to do, which we were looking forward to.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast