Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Not another Brit touring the Colonies.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Given Jims advice on some off road routes, we decided to ride up to Comox and get the next ferry over to the mainland again. The man feature of this route are the ferry trips across superb scenery.
    On arrival in Courtenay, we spotted this nice spot for lunch.

A few others' were also enjoying the courtyard.

Following lunch, we headed up into the ski areas and found a little warm up gravel track for Mark.

Which had a nice view.

Then we rode back down and had just enough time to head into The Black Fin for a spot of dinner before the last ferry came in.

and were duly served by this lovely lass.Food was superb and it's the No1 eatery in Comox.

The Black Fin overlooks the harbour, so we headed down down for a couple of photo's

Comox is a rather smart place.

Where we also spotted this old fella, looking absoulutely mint.

and we sailed off into the sunset for a night in Kent's Campground.

If quitters never win and winners never quit... What idiot came up with 'Quit while you're ahead'??????

In the morning we were going to have a relaxed start, but then I found out the only two ferries that morning, were 0925 and 1145. I infomed Mark, who'd only just started packing at 0850 and we went for a quick pack to see if we could make the earlier ferry.
    See the chap on the left? I spoke to him at the check in office and i'll be mentioning him later.

The check in officer said we had three minutes to pay, so I kept him talking for around 6, then Mark appeared and we, literally, just made it onto the ferry, which turned out to be a good omen.

The ferries that run along the coast, North of Vancouver, are a msut do.

Lovely.

Big mountains, big water

Whilst I was taking photo's, Mark found the chap I had spoken to at the office. He's an ex Brit, now living in North Vancouver, named Adam Christian.

This was going to be the start of am impromptu day.

If quitters never win and winners never quit... What idiot came up with 'Quit while you're ahead'??????

So, this Adam chap, who we didn't know from Adam (pardon the pun) convnce us to go for a 'little' walk in the countryside

to look at the raging tidal rapids at Sechelt

where the sunshine had a fair few out enjoying the day.

But there's only so long you can enjoy surfing in one spot

Everyone was silently wishing for this poseur to fall in.

It was a 4km (not 400m as Adam sold it to us) walk, but was worth the views.

Adam's penalty for the lousy sales pitch of a short stroll, was to buy the beer!

Good ol' local knowledge.

The man redeems himself.

Our last ferry, back to the mainland again, where these hills seem to remind me of something. Can't think what though.

When were were down at the rapids, these fellow bikers also turned up and we had a chat with them.

We didn't see them the rest of the day, but then they turned up on the same last ferry as us, so we said hello again

and swap the photographer over.

and our final port of the day.

So, I forgot to mention, we ended up being invited to stay over at Adam's place, as his wife and kids were over on the Island for the weekend. We arrived at his place and cleaned up, then went into the local pub for a pint, and to meet one of Adam's friends, Andrew. Andrew recommended we go down the road for a bite to eat at Browns, which turned out to be a great idea, so we ate, drank and chatted the evening away, before calling it a night. Next morning, we were up and away early, on the road to Whsitler and beyond.

Not long though, and we stopped at this coffee house, as it had been recommended by a chap who came up and spoke to us in Canada Tire. We're glad he did, t was a great cup of coffee!

Then up to Whistler, which was oozing money and niceness.

Plenty of visitors.

and nice buildings.

Before leaving, we barged in fornt of this little sculpture and traded photo taking with some other tourists.

Mark's coffee soon worked it's way through.

and then we got to the start of the Highline Highway, which had been recommended to us by Glen and Jim. Before the start, you arrive at this rather run down reservation town. Have you noticed the hazy photo? It's the smoke from the wild fires way further up the road.

and the gravel begins...

as well as wooden bridges, which would likely be very slippery in the wet.

We passed this little pipe, but I was unsure if it was for water or oil.

then, shortly after, things went slightly uphill.

This was a glorious ride and Mark really enjoyed his introduction to big trail bike riding. The only shae was the smoke haze, as it took away so many panorama's.

Almost got his gravel feet now.

After reaching the top, the road then takes a long, steady, decent down the valley

and along the river

through the gorge

and back on to the tarmac. I'm sure the smoke's getting thicker.

We passed this garage workshop

which looked the business.

and arrived in Kamloops, where we met with our new buddy Greg LeFlufy. We went out for dinner, but most places were closed, though the local Chinese buffet soon sorted us out. It was a shame about the smoke haze, as you really couldn't see Kamloops.

Greg's also got a well used outfit, bought so he could take his dog, Juno, out for rides with him. Juno's rather spoilt, as he's got more pairs of doggles than most people have sunglasses! Note the Alpha Male has his other half in the bitch seat.

One more of the off road

and again with a selfie

Blimey Rich, that air quality is awful. If it's any consolation, the smoke from the fires in BC is affecting the USA as far south as Oregon (Jorgé reported his visibility in Portland as 5nm).

On current showing, I'd stow my big camera and exclusively use the point & shoot - the picture and colour quality is far better...

Stay safe and keep posting...
    We will never be here again - have a good look around

Leaving Kamloop's we headed Northwards again, but along a route recommended by Greg, which took us up the river

to a little ferry

that had an interesting approach to the ramp

but it swings round as it gets closer

and slots into place. Now all we've got to do is get the bikes on.... camera ready!

Oh well, safe and sound is better than a wet dunk.

Our ferryman.

Mark prepares for an exit stage left...

into the tricky bit...

and the venerable GS see's him through.

Half an hour North of Kamloops and the skies started to clear.

and farming in the valley was visisble

Although the river looks quite calm, it obviously gets going when the snow melts. The result is the road falling into the river.

We passed this viewpoint, which looked interesting, so stopped.

Nice scenery

and a little history.

Then onwards to Prince George, where we arrived at Kelly's place

where we pitched in his front garden.

Kelly's folks were a visiting'

along with a few other Alaskan Explorers. Chris from Switzerland, Shahab (Iranian/Canadian/Swiss) Aidan from San Diego and, to continue the Swiss theme, we all met on Swiss National Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    Blimey Rich, that air quality is awful. If it's any consolation, the smoke from the fires in BC is affecting the USA as far south as Oregon (Jorgé reported his visibility in Portland as 5nm).

On current showing, I'd stow my big camera and exclusively use the point & shoot - the picture and colour quality is far better...

Stay safe and keep posting...
    The big camera had a filter on, which was perfect for the big blue sky shots, but I should've taken it off for the smokey stuff. However, i'm learning as I go along.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmountainman View Post
    The big camera had a filter on, which was perfect for the big blue sky shots, but I should've taken it off for the smokey stuff. However, i'm learning as I go along.
    The white balance looks off to me.

Looking like a great trip and write up though.

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Great stuff Rich

Keep it coming please ... white balance is the least of your problems

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Great stuff Rich

Keep it coming please ... white balance is the least of your problems

+1 from here.

I'm enjoying the read.

Had a run from Prince George to Smithers, where I didn't find the opportunity for taking any great photographs. We visited Smithers as i'd arranged to stop off with Smokin Sam and his lovely wife Sarah. Sam's a bit of an all things bike guru, but is also quite versed in the logging industry. Sarah's the brains behind the outfit and, if I remember correctly, they've been together 37 years. Had a lovely stop over with them, along with a superb bbq. Top couple!

Like I said, not many photo opportunities today.

You can't beat local knowledge. Sam told us about the local Indian's fishing down the road at a place called Moristown, which looked a little like this.

The wide river funnels into a narrow ravine, where the salmon run and are caught in hand nets. It's really quite something to watch.

So we did the obligatory photo of Mark

and myself.

Hopefully these next few shots will show you the scale of things

You don't want to be falling in here.

We crossed to the other side, where Mark enjoyed the view

and I could get a better angle of the ravine.

Here's one they just caught

and back in with the pole.

and another salmon pops out.

Then it was on the road to see if we could get to Dease Lake

Some nice mountains in the area

And then we spotted this sign, ideal for a photo opportunity

and for me too!

We continued on and turned off the highway, looking for fuel and food, and ended up in a small reservation village with these totems

complete with info.

All in there's about a dozen

After filling up, we hit the road and then the worrying signs started appearing.

But there were loads of views

before our lunch stop, where this old boy was parked.

Following lunch, Mark said for me to carry on, as he was going to the rest room and might be a while. I continued on, into this lovely landscape, on the way to Stuart and Hyder.

There are avalanche signs all over, and this one was fairly recent.

But the sun was out, the road was windy and I was on the lookout for bears, which I did spot, but he ran off before I could get the camera out.

Steep waterfall's abound along the roadside as well.

And into Stewart, which has some lovely old buidlings that have either been restored,

or well looked after.

Down along the river

to Hyder, which is the most Southerly, old mining, ghost town in Alaska, with one road in and out.

Some lovely views down by the waterside

But the town's buildings are definitely in need of a little refurbishment.

Or knocking down and starting again

Ok, before I start, remember Mark saying carry on, at our last stop? Well, over three hours later, on a 45 minute journey, i'd not heard or seen of him. I went down to the river, to get some phone signal, sent a text and waitted, but no reply. I then went for dinner in the fish bus, with a chap we'd met in Smithers (who'd managed to find the campsite) and Mark still hadn't shown up. I ate my fish supper and heade for my bke, as I was going to go down to Stewart and report in with the local RCMP. Fortunately, Mark was in the campsite, having taken the wrong turn out of the rest stop - there was a 50/50 choice. So, the worry was over andf I was glad nothing untoward had happended to him. We hit the sack and headed up The Salmon Tail Glacier, with Terry who we'd met at Smithers, for a view.

The sun was rising, unlike my photography skills, so these are the best I got from the snappy. I've yet to look at the main camera.

Leaving Hyder, we saw a few more run down buildings. The general impression is that Hyder, and many parts of Alaska are slowly dying. The tent site's now closed, due to the motel closing, so we had to camp on the RV site, which was fine, but a struggle to get the pegs in the ground.

The sun was shining again, on our way out.

We didn't quite make Hyder, so found this place on the side of the road.

The view from our porch

The owners home/office. Oh, and he's completely bonkers.

and another morning view, on our way to Jade City

where Mark finally found his comeuppance with a bear.

Who was far more friendly once he'd eaten.

But Mark survived.

So we went and looked at the tourist tat for sale.

and carried on to...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast