Not another Brit touring the Colonies.

Arches and Canyonlands have to be amongst the most beautiful places on the planet. The whole area is just stunning.

Totally agree - one of my favourite places, probably top of the list actually, even above Yosemite.

Great write up Rich, looks like you had a great time (physical & mechanical woes excepted).

I wasn't that fussed about going round, but I did hear from a few people that motorcycles weren't allowed on the dirt road and there was a long queue to get in.

They have stopped us riding round there the last 2 years Mike. Thy have given a different reason each time but my guess is they are trying to get everyone to pay for a tour.

Bugger - that's a beautiful ride :( Have they stopped private cars driving around too, or is it just bikes?

Today's my last riding day, so I head out with Doug on a local run, which he takes a lot of the motorcycling waifs and strays that he takes in.

We headed past this lake (reservoir), which feeds the bay area with it's water. At this point a felt I needed a wee. ;-)

Super Doug, helper of stranded travellers!

Then it was down a nadgery little road and over this nice river, which we followed down a ways

Until we reached this small town.

There are loads of little towns like this, all dotted along the road at 10 mile intervals; the distance a horse/cart/wagon could travel in a day.

Then it was back to he Berghold Winery - who had, rather unfortunately, run out of Crankcase -

to have a look at their production operation

They were just cleaning up

but we did get to see all the shiny stainless stuff.

I had to get myself from Doug's to Alameda in order to get myself home, so I hired a car for my last three days. I'd previously contatced a couple of tent space hosts in Alameda, regarding stopping over, and due to their convenient location for the Customs Office, Shipping Company and Pinball Museum, we ended up spending our last two days with Nicole and Ben. These guys are a super couple, that met through Advrider. We had a great time with them and drank all their beer, but I did cook a lovely fish supper and Mark went shopping for more booze as well. Many thanks for taking us in, it made getting Mark's bike sorted with the shipping company very easy and made our last couple of days really enjoyable.

A couple of our Advrider friends recommended riding down Hwy 141 to get to Moab.

Still one of my all time favourite rides - 50 miles from Naturita north to Gateway & 50 miles back. Stunning ride, even on a rented Wing...
It came in the form of a recommendation from Earache (whatever happened to him ?) and Schtum
Garmin showed a petrol (gas) station in Gateway but there wasn't one, or rather not open, but the nice folks at Gateway Resort sold us enough from their private stock to get 4 bikes to Moab
I didn't know about the car collection unfortunately although we were tight for time that day

Really enjoyed following along with you MMM, thanks for taking the time to share the ride :thumb
Hopefully you're fully recovered now

Back
Top Bottom