KTM beats BMW r1200GS

Were you heading to the nearest Motorrad to have the speedo replaced under warranty ?

You will be delighted to know that as the standard speedo read in MPH, I had the Nav 5 set to KPH. You will also be aware that the NAV 5 records the parameter of top speed and the GPS speed is quite accurate. When converted back to MPH, the top speed reached was over 140 mph.

You will be delighted to know that as the standard speedo read in MPH, I had the Nav 5 set to KPH. You will also be aware that the NAV 5 records the parameter of top speed and the GPS speed is quite accurate. When converted back to MPH, the top speed reached was over 140 mph.

One suspects you were having your leg pulled.

Out of interest why did you start this thread?

92425e93fedad9e01670f7d69d154b18--ktm-adventure-adventure-time.jpg

Don't humour him! :D

I had GPS verified 142mph on the Rallye when I was in France in April.:thumb

My KTM just gets there quicker.:beerjug::cool:

KTM speedos a renowned for being optimistic

My 990SMT and 690 Enduro speedos were very accurate, my 1190 wildly optimistic but my GT and 1290 SAS mid way between according to the same gps on all of them

I'm really jealous of the weave these KTM things have at higher speeds. I'm on the lookout for a high speed weave for my boringly stable ol' GS....

My XR's all over the road at anything over 130mph. Probably a good thing though

Neither is GPS.

A quick Google of the subject confirms that the speed indicated by GPS is pretty damn close.

Quote "the accuracy is within about 0.2 of a kilometre per hour."

Academic though as you either believe it because you have done it yourself or you haven't, so you have doubts.

So, piss take or not, the GS LC is far from "wheezy" and is stable at high speed.

The accuracy of a GPS system depends on more than just a Google search. Position of satellites, number of satellites, geographical location, sample (or refresh) rate, etc plus you can suffer from GPS drift. So the point of sample can be within a meter to 35 meters on any good day. The only accurate way of measuring speed is timing it between 2 points of a known distance apart. Therefore the speed indicated is a ballpark figure and not entirely accurate. Like going round a curve the sample rate does not include the radius of the corner but is measured as a chord. The length of the cord depends on speed, radius of bend and time between samples. The quicker the GPS processes calculations and the more satellites it uses the more accurate it is likely to be.

Even the GSA LC can get up to over 140mph but it is academic regardless of what bike you ride. What matters is how the bike feels under you and having ridden a few KTMs and owning a GSA LC I can say that the KTM (both 1190 and 1290 SA-T) is a more exiting bike to ride but as a touring bike 2 up the GSA LC beats it. That is my opinion.

Data loggers (PerfomanceBox) use GPS and sample at 10hz and 20hz for their newer models ... they are accurate to .1 km/h. Normally 6-7 Sats is good enough for stable / reliable accuracy ... even if a Sat is 1m out it remains 1m out over the sample period so its irrelevant for speed at least. As a comparison regular navigation GPS samples ~1hz so extrapolating by a factor if 10 puts regular GPS accurate to around 1km/h ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only use GPS to verify my speed ... speedos are a joke and over read in my experience around 5% ... but can vary even more depending on if you have new tyres vs old too.... if you go custom on rims/tyres well thats a whole new movie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom