KTM beats BMW r1200GS

A couple of quotes from the article resonate with me.

'The KTM's more vibrant personality'

'The 1290 makes every journey feel like an event, with it's crisper engine, its incredible (and incredibly accessible) performance and its more contemporary presence. In terms of sheer riding pleasure the KTM wins hands down. And on top of that its a complete incredibly capable all rounder.'

'The 1290 makes every journey feel like an event, with it's crisper engine, its incredible (and incredibly accessible) performance and its more contemporary presence. In terms of sheer riding pleasure the KTM wins hands down. And on top of that its a complete incredibly capable all rounder.'

In fairness that's a pretty accurate comparison to every one if it's GS contemporaries right back to the 1150. The 950 - 990 - 1190 compared to it's GS equivalent of the same time.

Classic rhetoric from the good old press .

KTM make a great bike but just too focused for total everyday all year riding
If what the journos say is true , then why is no fecker riding them in massive numbers like the GS ?

Perhaps ‘character’ would be a better description,of which the current GS is completely lacking

Perhaps, you should define what you mean by "character", and please no generic bullshit.

Classic rhetoric from the good old press .

KTM make a great bike but just too focused for total everyday all year riding
If what the journos say is true , then why is no fecker riding them in massive numbers like the GS ?

It's the 'good old press' that always review the GS tops.

The only way to decide is ride them both. I did and went KTM.

I do enjoy every other bike I pass being a GS.

It's the 'good old press' that always review the GS tops.

The only way to decide is ride them both. I did and went KTM.

I do enjoy every other bike I pass being a GS.

Yeap . True . You have to follow your heart . Enjoy your Katoom

If you don't understand then it's not important to you and no big deal.

Enjoy your BWM :)

Andres

Well no, I don't understand it and that's why I asked for someone to define it. I suspect that you can't but if you can, put into words what character means in terms of a motorcycle, then maybe I can give you a view on why or if the R1200 GS LC has "character" or not.

I suspect that you believe KTMs have this mystical quality, so what is it and which other bikes have it ?

Well no, I don't understand it and that's why I asked for someone to define it. I suspect that you can't but if you can, put into words what character means in terms of a motorcycle, then maybe I can give you a view on why or if the R1200 GS LC has "character" or not.

I suspect that you believe KTMs have this mystical quality, so what is it and which other bikes have it ?

Help us help you.

What other bikes have you owned/ridden?

Ah ok, appreciate your honest response and apologies for my facetious answer :)

It’s a difficult one as I think it’s a very individual thing so can only speak for myself…………..

It’s like women for me and what I do / don’t find attractive in a woman;
I could marry the woman my mother wanted me to marry. She would be a lovely person, be pretty and a wonderfully supportive home maker. We’d have a couple of kids, a nice house on a modern housing estate with a big telly and three piece sweet form DFS. We’d both have good jobs , the kids go to good schools and we have a great holiday every year at a posh all inclusive resort.

Our sex life would be fine, nothing to complain about and once a month we’d have a ‘date night’ and if I’m lucky she’ll have a few glasses of Prosecco over the usual and she’ll slip on her basque when we get home for an extra bit of spice. She’ll still have a box of tissues* by the bed though (*Copyright Nutty).

Or

I could marry that girl that I bumped into at a gig who was off her tits and dragged me back home that night for a right proper seeing to.
She’d be a strong independent woman, a better job than me and be very high maintenance.
She’d occasionally lead me astray and at other times be needy and like a little girl needing support and comfort. Sometimes we’d row and one of us would storm out the house only to come back later, tail between legs. We'd be open and honest with each other with strong mutual respect in everything that we do yet have your own lives which occasionally didn’t include the other.
There would be no tissues* beside the bed (*Copyright Nutty) and when you shagged the whole bloody house moved. She swallows and loves it.

Now’t wrong with the first option at all but I’ll leave you to guess which I’ve plumped for ;)

I had a GS for 10 years. It was ridden on three continents, took us on great holidays, did loads of green laning and even did the Tesco run. It’s the longest I have ever owned a bike which must say something……..but I NEVER bonded with it and had that emotional attachment. It was a tool, a very, very good one but a tool none the less. In much the same way as a car is to me. There was/is no emotional attachment. I bought it on that basis and was not disappointed but……………………

So in short, character to me is something that is less than perfect yet STILL has the ability to make me want it and love it over and above everything else. Anything that is perfect is no challenge, no fun and ultimately boring. Characterless.

Andres

Ah ok, appreciate your honest response and apologies for my facetious answer :)

It’s a difficult one as I think it’s a very individual thing so can only speak for myself…………..

It’s like women for me and what I do / don’t find attractive in a woman;
I could marry the woman my mother wanted me to marry. She would be a lovely person, be pretty and a wonderfully supportive home maker. We’d have a couple of kids, a nice house on a modern housing estate with a big telly and three piece sweet form DFS. We’d both have good jobs , the kids go to good schools and we have a great holiday every year at a posh all inclusive resort.

Our sex life would be fine, nothing to complain about and once a month we’d have a ‘date night’ and if I’m lucky she’ll have a few glasses of Prosecco over the usual and she’ll slip on her basque when we get home for an extra bit of spice. She’ll still have a box of tissues* by the bed though (*Copyright Nutty).

Or

I could marry that girl that I bumped into at a gig who was off her tits and dragged me back home that night for a right proper seeing to.
She’d be a strong independent woman, a better job than me and be very high maintenance.
She’d occasionally lead me astray and at other times be needy and like a little girl needing support and comfort. Sometimes we’d row and one of us would storm out the house only to come back later, tail between legs. We'd be open and honest with each other with strong mutual respect in everything that we do yet have your own lives which occasionally didn’t include the other.
There would be no tissues* beside the bed (*Copyright Nutty) and when you shagged the whole bloody house moved. She swallows and loves it.

Now’t wrong with the first option at all but I’ll leave you to guess which I’ve plumped for ;)

I had a GS for 10 years. It was ridden on three continents, took us on great holidays, did loads of green laning and even did the Tesco run. It’s the longest I have ever owned a bike which must say something……..but I NEVER bonded with it and had that emotional attachment. It was a tool, a very, very good one but a tool none the less. In much the same way as a car is to me. There was/is no emotional attachment. I bought it on that basis and was not disappointed but……………………

So in short, character to me is something that is less than perfect yet STILL has the ability to make me want it and love it over and above everything else. Anything that is perfect is no challenge, no fun and ultimately boring. Characterless.

Andres

You've clearly spent a lot of time thinking about that!

Now, while you're on the subject of explaining, what on earth is this tissue reference you keep mentioning?:nenau

As you've never met me, and know nothing about me, I'm rather intrigued.

You've clearly spent a lot of time thinking about that!

Now, while you're on the subject of explaining, what on earth is this tissue reference you keep mentioning?:nenau

As you've never met me, and know nothing about me, I'm rather intrigued.

You need to let it go......................... :D

Some girls like a mess others like to clean it up. Don't tell me you haven't slept with a woman that gets a bit icky over bodily fluids and likes to keep things spick and span?

Actually, maybe you need to live a bit more ;)

Andres

PS A lot of time thinking..........nah, off the top of me head (seriously)..........I never think, JFDI :)

Back
Top Bottom