KTM beats BMW r1200GS

What gives a bike character? Well to be honest the only bikes that I've owned and would describe as having character have either regularly broken down at the most inappropriate times or tried to kill me when I least expected it :nenau

I wouldn't say that my 1190 has character but maybe that's because it's still too new? It's fun to ride and it's competent when it comes to touring Europe on both main roads and barely made goat tracks but it's not got what I'd describe as character though given time that might change.

What gives a bike character? Well to be honest the only bikes that I've owned and would describe as having character have either regularly broken down at the most inappropriate times or tried to kill me when I least expected it :nenau

I wouldn't say that my 1190 has character but maybe that's because it's still too new? It's fun to ride and it's competent when it comes to touring Europe on both main roads and barely made goat tracks but it's not got what I'd describe as character though given time that might change.

I feel the same about my 1190, exactly the same :thumb2

And going by your first bit, every Guzzi I have ever owned and certainly my current one has character in spades :D

Andres

Owning a KTM and a Le mans, I keep my tissues in the garage.

Going out to start your bike and finding a problem with it then getting it sorted and still arriving where you wanted to at the same time as you originally planned can be one of the most mentally rewarding things you'll ever do on a bike.

I can look back at the Yamaha XS2 I owned in the late '70s and still chuckle to myself about how the timing used to slip and I'd have the side panel off to get at the tools I needed then reset the timing with an old indicator bulb that had two wires soldered to it, a couple of Allen keys and a screwdriver. I've got bikes now that should have character but I don't ride them enough to actually 'feel' it which says more about me than the bikes :(

So character means things that break down :) I just read the article in Ride and from a non GS rider, I wouldn't say the KTM won, think the article says, depends on what you want the bike for, and if its touring with luggage and a partner, then the GS is the way to go. But if your only a weekend warrior then the KTM would be a better bike (para phrase of course)

Think I'll stick to my RT.

You gonna tell us all again, Stuart Watson, how much you earn as a pilot with British Airways?

Andres

That's assuming he's still a pilot with BA.

It's not been a good year for his right wing idols so cut him a bit of slack.

And now KTM slays the Rallye . They didn't even need their top bike to do it as their less powerful 1090R still had the Rallye beat . It's in MCN so must be true !!!!

b62171676db3594dd29c3b2fac326e65.jpg

'KTM made me 20% more confident'

A bit of a pessimistic summary considering it doesn't try to kill you, break down or rust while you are out and about :)

And now KTM slays the Rallye . They didn't even need their top bike to do it as their less powerful 1090R still had the Rallye beat . It's in MCN so must be true !!!!

To be fair, the bit you copied says the KTM was the better off road bike and the GS the better road bike................not exactly 'stop the press' news now is it :nenau

Andres

To be fair, the bit you copied says the KTM was the better off road bike and the GS the better road bike................not exactly 'stop the press' news now is it :nenau

Andres

Nope but it's worth mentioning on here just for those who have to instantly comment . The FuseTester will be along later :)

I'm really jealous of the weave these KTM things have at higher speeds. I'm on the lookout for a high speed weave for my boringly stable ol' GS....

Try TKC 70 tyres, fully loaded over the ton gets a nice wee weave, but controllable, and just testing, perfect at proper touring speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aren't the R and the Rallye supposed to be both marks primo off road bikes in this class? There are far better road bikes than both of them but that's not what these bikes are supposed to be about.

Back
Top Bottom