Base south of paris

We've used this camp site close to Fontainebleu - easy access to trains to Paris as well as local sights:

http://www.les-courtilles-du-lido.fr/en/

I wouldn't describe it as a 4 Star site, but perfectly adequate with flat, level pitches in the woods.

I did it to take the pee.... in the hope that it might prompt our traveller to let on quite how near to Paris he wanted to be.

Cruise down to the Loire perhaps?

If you don't mind riding two or so hours, you could go down to the Morvan or across to say Chatillon sur Seine, for some very good roads. It's two hours back too, of course.

There are better places to have chosen but if your two day stop-over is chosen by the distance you've come on the day(s) before, it is what it is.

Only thinking of Fontainebleau not set on it any suggestions welcome
getting off ferry Sunday morning in Cherbourg
Have 10 days to get to Brno
As I said open to suggestions
Want to do the famous B500 on route

Others may have different experiences, but when we did part of the B500 several years ago - we asked ourselves: "Was that it?"

What about a few days in the Vosges and Eifel - en route to Brno?

Al

Only thinking of Fontainebleau not set on it any suggestions welcome
getting off ferry Sunday morning in Cherbourg
Have 10 days to get to Brno

Are we to assume therefore that you need a base (south of Paris) for Sunday night, Monday night and Tuesday night?

Cherbourg to Fontainebleau direct, is 420 km in say four hours, maybe four and a half to five by the time you have had a stop or two. Plotting other people's holidays is really hard but Fontainebleau might do you well, perhaps? Go up to Versailles to have a look or even take the train up to Paris, maybe? But both are possibly useless suggestions if you want to "Ride me bike mate, on spins". If you do, you have probably got to adapt and adopt, possibly riding away from Fontainebleau in order to find some roads. A map really is your best friend, trust me. Also have a look at the Michelin Virees a moto thread, there may be something in that? If you just want to cruise about, just pick a few points and ride to them, would be my suggestion.

I'd recommend Provins - good distance

But for riding, go to the Morvan (I normally stay in the Vauban Hotel in Avallon)

Came through the Morvan area for the first time this year, it is a really nice place to stay for a few days and like Simon, i would recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom