Yamaha Tracer 900 re-map ??

harley-metisse

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, has anyone on here had their Tracer 900 re-mapped ?
I am possibly thinking about Hilltop Motorcycles etc.
Any reviews if it has been done etc ?
Cheers

hi wessie, i'm 71 next month and thinking i will have to get a lighter bike than the gs. i had a test run on the tracer900 and liked it better than the tiger 800. but a test run is no substitute for a long term report so i would welcome your opinion. thanks.

Hi Jags, Im in the same boat as you, starting to feel my years and wanted smaller lighter ect.
So I bought the 900 about 6 months ago.
Overall very pleased.
For.
Lightness.
Easy to manoeuvre in and out of the garage.
Exiting to ride.
Reasonably priced. Less than 8K (went from 4 year old TB which to replace was 17.5K)
Against.
Insurance pricey.
Bit vibey.
Corrosion issues, Banjos and general fixings. (Dealt with by dealer and I quote, It will be the same again in 3 Months.)
But pound for pound cant knock it.
JMHO of course
Good luck

I had a Super Tenere. Became very ill in 2014 and found the ST too heavy, just getting in & out of the garage let alone on the road. I had an MT07 as a loan bike for a service and found it nice to ride, then found there was a Tracer due. Test rode the 1st Tracer to arrive at my dealer and ordered one. That bike reinvigorated my bike riding. Light, easy to manage and plenty quick enough. I was putting on an average 1000 miles a month, commuting and touring.

In Sept 2016 I took a R1200RS for a test ride and had to have one. Rationalisation was to split my mileage across 2 bikes. Sadly, the Tracer just languished in the garage as its bargain basement suspension was all too evident against the RS. My work role changed, needing a car more often so even the commuting miles dropped off. After 16,000 miles and a little over 2 years I chopped the Tracer in for a Tiger Explorer - now I have 2 bikes with posh electronic suspension. RS for shorter rides as the riding position bothers my hip after 100 miles. Tiger for longer trips as it is very comfortable but too heavy to use for everyday riding. I don't have any chains either.

If you buy a Tracer, buy it for what it is, a cheap bike with adequate performance. Don't try to make it what it isn't by spending a grand on suspension upgrades and £300 on a remap. It is fantastic value for money, weighs a little over 200kg and will take you and a pillion across Europe. I did fit a different screen and seat to make it more comfortable. Fit Givi luggage as this is better than the OE stuff. Fit a Tutoro chain oiler.

thanks for the insight guys. it sort of confirms my feelings towards the tracer as a lower cost utility bike. i looked at a vstrom and it looks better built but yet to have a ride on one,something for the future. cheers, jags.:thumb2

Was the owner of a Tracer 900 nearly 2 years. Had the ECU flashed as as i didn't like the on/off throttle.
Likes.
Cracking triple engine.
Lightweight.

Against.
Corrosion on bolts and fittings.
Choppy suspension.
Original screen is crap.

Hi BrianS,
Can I ask, who did the re-flash ?
And did it really improve the bike ?
I have looked into Hilltop and they say they can fix the running of the bike.
Cheers

Still enjoying my Tracer 900 it's just over 2 years old now and I've done 15k on it, stock screen is great for me but I use an airhawk on long trips ;) just done a 3k mile trip to Italy and back using the scenic routes :thumb. Bought it for lightness when pushing in and out of garage etc.. :thumb2

I've got a 2015 MT09 Tracer, and love it. It has enough performance to be interesting, but not so much that you barely use it. Some people moan about the seat, but I have no trouble. I recently did 611 miles in 13 hours. It's also light, with great handling and good fuel consumption.

The only real issue I have with the bike is the suspension. Soft springs and harsh damping. A good setup makes it better. However, I got a deal on a used Nitron and Andreani setup. The bike has been transformed. 2017 models have a different shock, so maybe this has been sorted now.

The MT09 had problems with a jerky throttle. Yamaha addressed this before the Tracer came out. I have no issue with mine unless I ride in A mode. A mode is great on open and quick roads, not so good in town. You can change modes on the go, so I never saw the need to have my bike flashed.

If you go on the MT09 forum, S-tec in Newbury seems to be the guy for eco flashing. I think he did the original work.

Just sold my 900 Tracer after 18m which is a record breaker for me, I miss it and never had a boring ride, it was super light, quick, frugal and above all fun, never had a problem with corrosion , seat and once I backed off the preload on the front suspension never bothered me either, I am 18 stone too.
I put a sports screen on, grips , givi rack and the best mod was a full Yoshimura system, it improved the performance and made it even lighter.

I would recommend the 900 to anyone looking for a light, cost effective bike with built in fun factor, I will have another one day :thumb

I've had a couple of decent test rides on the Tracer 900 and I didn't have a problem with the throttle response, though I had it in B mode most of the time. I did have a problem with the suspension, which I thought was probably not "all day" comfortable though I didn't have a full day in the saddle. There seem to be cheap mods for the suspension which involve ZX10 shocks, though I've not got much detail. Difference between the Tracer and GS: more fun, less comfort.

Back
Top Bottom