CB1100RS Retro UJM

IainMac

Reaction score
I missed out on the JAP UJM period of the 70s and 80s though lusted after a mates older brothers Z1000J and had the original Goldwing as a poster during my spotty youth. So when I saw Honda had shown the updated CB1100RS as last years m'bike shows I was smitten, though for a while it wasnt clear if we in blighty were getting the RS as the uk website only had the wirespoked EX version for a while, and the keep me informed option on that site seems to be a dont keep me informed given lack of relevant info I received. Thankfully it materialised a few weeks later (on the uk site)
As I had purchased a new usable steed last year , I had thought i would have to wait a year before changing, but SWMBO didnt like the current steed as despite it being a tourer the rear perch left her feeling exposed (too high) and difficult to get her leg over ( welcome to my world pet) . So suitably motivated for a swap (and a bath on trade/sale) i ventured into the local honda rep to see if they had one . I was surprised when not only one but 3 CB1100RS were on the showroom floor with one being a demo, as I recall the last CB11 re-release in 2014 being a bit of a hang around flop? I suspect this was because Honda styled it more like the crappy old commuter CB's than anything sexy.
So a brief test ride arranged and an inquiry as to how much my wallet would cry for the trade (post ride). Once i had the figures I man-mathed that I would loose more and have to pay more if I waited , plus not being able to pillion her in'doors was a major ball ache. A deal struck and I'm now a happy owner of a spanking or I should say sparkling red CB1100RS.
index.php
Its got a fairly sporty in a 80s UJM superbike stylee riding position which means I don't feel too much like a sail in the wind when asking it to lift its skirts. Sussies are well damped and sprung for my 100 odd kitted kilos, adjustable for preload only, and handling is stable and steady. with weight feeling very centered and not top heavy My last similar weight ride was a Yam 1200 Super Ten and that felt a lot heavier than this does moving around. Still to run it in so engine has not been fully tested but sofar its smooth with torque from idle and fuelling seems snatch free for a euro 4 spec engine. Exhaust noise is muted but has a deep burble , suspect it will sound nicely fruity with some aftermarket cans fitted.

Can't see your picture ( using Twatatalk) but they look like a proper bike !! (saw one at the show)

Nice one !

It's the way to go. Hardly used my 1290 lately as prefer the simple approach for local riding .

I'm sure your bike would enjoy a tour or two ! Took my CB1300 to S of F a few years back and it was great and the T120 is off to Belgium in a week or so.

It's the future ! :) Enjoy it !

BWU6YqRn1gK
Ah just spotted site I used for pic host needs you to be logged in. (Advrider). Since Photobucket chose to bin linking I've been without a free pic hosting site.

that does look nice ..old sch design with modern tech....whats not too like

Had a rest ride on one as it invoked memories of being a youngster and drooling over the 400/4 and 750/4's. Everything about it was great until I set off and lifted my feet onto the pegs. A pain in the front groin area, ohh er missus, completly spoilt the ride for me. yes I could faff with the seat, but at that price I'd expect it to be being close to fitting me. I've got one of the new SV650's and it's better for the ergos :eek:

Cant say that my nads or other bits are suffering from the rider ergos though it is a touch more compact than most naked uprights having a semi lean forward stance with the lowish bars. A hint of 80,s UJM superbike rider position probably.

Cant say that my nads or other bits are suffering from the rider ergos though it is a touch more compact than most naked uprights having a semi lean forward stance with the lowish bars. A hint of 80,s UJM superbike rider position probably.

Good to hear your bits are happy with the bike :)

Just coming up to my 1st 600 miles with a 150mile ride today. I did the 150 in one go without a stop and my butt was only starting to whinge at the end, given is a low (relative to adventure bikes) saddle it limits the options for leg stretches whilst in the saddle so it must be fairly comfy as stock. Suspension is on the firmly sprung and well damped side of the fence for a roadster but not back jarring, and I think either the engine is still loosening up or its got a lot of flywheel as its it's climb up the rev range is steady not rapid. Interestingly (or not) Honda don't have a running in rev limit requirement just no rapid starts and other bumpf on riding conservatively , so in theory the full giddy 8.5+k rpm range is available once warmed up, though it seems to prefer running in the lower range at the mo.

Can see the forks , shocks , swinging arm and wheels becoming popular with modifiers of older Japanese bikes.........have a look at the Sanctuary stuff coming out of Japan.
All it needs now is either a set of replica CB900F or CB1000R bodywork or get a certain site member to do a nice 1970's inspired replica paint job on it and you will really be living the dream except it will be on a bike that actualy handles, stops and has reliable electrics

Yup I was looking at the forks and thinking they'd look good on my old GSX-R750. As to the CB I quite like the colours and style as is :) . One thing that isn't easy to show (with phone or reduced pixel pics) is how much sparkle there is in the red tank. Whoo hoo 500 posts (its only taken me 15 years!)

Small update, I pulled the baffles from the Arrows during the summer, it sounded great I seemed to ride every where like a twat due to the cool sounds but it seems to fek up the part throttle fuelling making it a bit too snatch for my liking so the baffles were refitted and smoothness promptly returned. Definitely sound too muted now :/

Back
Top Bottom