PROBLEM SHARING A ROUTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a trip planned in August and have shared all the routes with a mate, my device is a 660, his a 395 both Garmin.

Routes are on basecamp and this weekend we had a run using a test route created in the same way as our holiday routes, whilst the route worked fine on my device, on his the route seemed to be a magenta line running parallel to all the roads we we were riding.

No difference in settings on the devices, the only difference is my maps are CN Europe NT 2018.10 where on his they are CN Europe NTU 2018.10 All south, and ditto All north.

Any ideas why this occurred:confused:

i think the difference here is NT V NTU the NT file is huge compared to an NTU ( Unicode file). there fore your mate does not have the full degree of mapping like yourself. this will be shown as you state, by a magenta line running next to the planned route and short cutting through fields etc.

i had a similar issue last year in Lower saxony and was told I wasn't using the full mapping for that area. I uploaded the latest version from Garmin to the nav and then it followed the route. so it is poss the garmin 395 does not have enough memory to take that map . Hope that helps

I have a trip planned in August and have shared all the routes with a mate, my device is a 660, his a 395 both Garmin.

Routes are on basecamp and this weekend we had a run using a test route created in the same way as our holiday routes, whilst the route worked fine on my device, on his the route seemed to be a magenta line running parallel to all the roads we we were riding.

No difference in settings on the devices, the only difference is my maps are CN Europe NT 2018.10 where on his they are CN Europe NTU 2018.10 All south, and ditto All north.

Any ideas why this occurred:confused:

Firstly, well done you for trying out the sharing technique instead of asking for the lifebelt once the trip has started.

I am baffled - I thought the the point about NTU was that it allowed for an increased number of language character sets, thus allowing Garmin to conquer the whole world.

I would load the load your route onto his computer, recalculate using his NTU maps (and adjust as required) and then download onto his 395. If he is still on path parallel to the road, but appearing to be in the middle of a field, then he may have corrupt maps or a wonky unit.

Pablo 1, I am not familiar with the 395 but there is no logical reason why a route created in BaseCamp / Mapsource shouldn't run properly on another Garmin motoring GPS device, assuming that is the device has its detailed maps loaded properly.

Did your friend have a message that the route needed to be recalculated on importation? If so, did he recalcalcute?

If you could share the route with us, hosting it on something like Dropbox if necessary, it might help to track down the cause of the problem.

Thanks to all, its not the first time Ive shared routes with this chap as we have been regular riding buddies for years, its the first time however Ive used basecamp for the job and first occasion there has been an issue.
The unit is actually a 390LM rather than 395 I initially reported, I have all the routes on Mapsource which is my normal modis operandi and have today deleted everything on both devices and resent the routes from Mapsource, both units automatically recalculated when imported which surprised me as normally my device wouldnt do this, maps on my pc being the same as the device.
I'm going to create another local route we can test together this time using Mapsource before the trip, fortunately we have plenty of time.
Many thanks again for all your comments they are most helpful.

could it be that your mate has not zoomed in to the same level as you and the magenta line has not focused on the road yet, you get this with mapsource and base camp when you are not zoomed in enough. or detail is not set high enough,

could it be that your mate has not zoomed in to the same level as you and the magenta line has not focused on the road yet, you get this with mapsource and base camp when you are not zoomed in enough. or detail is not set high enough,
no we stopped a few times to let me see what he was seeing, showed his bike on the correct road but a magenta line running parralel on a non existant road:confused:

no we stopped a few times to let me see what he was seeing, showed his bike on the correct road but a magenta line running parralel on a non existant road:confused:

Try googling 'Garmin snap to roads' or similar. Somewhere I think there is a setting(s) to make the GPS device "snap to road". It makes the satnav show the current position on the nearest road, even if the GPS coordinates are slightly off-road. From a very quick trawl of the google results page the setting may be in Basecamp or in the 395.

My BMW car satnav will occasionally show the car as travelling alongside marked roads; eventually it sorts itself out. I think Garmin though have a specific option - it is needed for on-road versus off-road navigation.

I wonder if your friend has his device set to 'off road' or something similar? What you might get then are a series of straight lines, that might run parallel to the road proper.

If you can share the route with us, it may make finding the cause of your friend's problem much quicker / easier.

I wonder if your friend has his device set to 'off road' or something similar? What you might get then are a series of straight lines, that might run parallel to the road proper.

If you can share the route with us, it may make finding the cause of your friend's problem much quicker / easier.
deleted it now Im afraid, hoping to go out again with another route done on Mapsource just to check his device. I checked all his settings agreed with Basecamp and my device before we set off, as it worked fine on my device I'm thinking perhaps its his device but we will see.
Thanks Muchly

I have had this with 660 and 590 sharing. So I write the route in basecamp in either NT or NTU. Then before transfer to the units if done in NTU will send route first to 595. Then connect 660 switch mapping to NT version and recalculate route visibly checking the blighter for changes. Then send to device. Seems to work all be it a faff.
Seems fairly solid. Sure you could allow unit to recalculate but we have encountered issues on occasion with this method.
All units and computer set to everything off except unmade roads.

Andrew

I have had this with 660 and 590 sharing. So I write the route in basecamp in either NT or NTU. Then before transfer to the units if done in NTU will send route first to 595. Then connect 660 switch mapping to NT version and recalculate route visibly checking the blighter for changes. Then send to device. Seems to work all be it a faff.
Seems fairly solid. Sure you could allow unit to recalculate but we have encountered issues on occasion with this method.
All units and computer set to everything off except unmade roads.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew that's helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom