Ferry from Germany to Copenhagen

johnboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

I am travelling through northern Germany to Copenhagen this week and wondered whether anyone has expienece of the from Puttgarden which seems to save a considerable detour to the north. I am wondering whether you need to book or just turn up and if there are queues is it etiquette to filter to the front.

Thanks.

John

As I remember it:

You just turn up. I recall these being forwards/backwards ferries. That is, they do not turn round at each end. They sail straight into the dock, and when they leave, they sail straight out again to the other side. Not a long journey.
Myke

Thanks Myke. Just checked about booking online but it does not seem to save any money.

I used it 2 weeks ago. As already stated. just turn up and pay at the booth. It was about 80 euros for a return ticket. You save 7 euros buying a return. you just need to state the day of return not the time.

The ferries sail at quarter to and quarter passed the hour (every 30mins). crossing is 40 mins and you have to secure you bike yourself. no big deal deal but never had the responsibility before but fine.

A very efficient service.

Note:
there shouldn't be queues unless you hit rush hour. you will be put in a bike lane and there is space down both sides of the ferry. Sails very promptly. even whilst your still faffing on the deck. as soon as the bow touches the port your off........

I used it 2 weeks ago. As already stated. just turn up and pay at the booth. It was about 80 euros for a return ticket. You save 7 euros buying a return. you just need to state the day of return not the time.

The ferries sail at quarter to and quarter passed the hour (every 30mins). crossing is 40 mins and you have to secure you bike yourself. no big deal deal but never had the responsibility before but fine.

A very efficient service.

Note:
there shouldn't be queues unless you hit rush hour. you will be put in a bike lane and there is space down both sides of the ferry. Sails very promptly. even whilst your still faffing on the deck. as soon as the bow touches the port your off........

Thank you - evrything I was wondering has been answered.

Did it last year, 45 euro one way, exactly as JerseyNiel says.
Excellent service.

Back
Top Bottom