Rear light 06 Hexhead

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
How easy to convert to LED?

blown another today on the way to work... only replaced less than 4 months ago

running on one filament 50% at the mo ;)

is the LED unit P&P or does it need dealer diagnostrickery?

or can i just pop in a LED resistor bulb?

I believe the LED light unit needs setting up. Resistor LED bulbs should be fine.

Check the wiring and brackets behind. Mine were really rusty.

If you buy the BMW LED unit.... it does need to be coded to the Canbus system and this needs to be the main dealer computer, the GS911 can't do it.

Sent from a OnePlusX.

the bulb monitor is not that clever!

All you have to do is buy one suitable for a Canbus system in that the resistance on the board is the same as a bulb End of story

Funny, I have the same issue on my 2006. I think there may be a plug and play type conversion, https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/uk/led-taillight-for-r1200gs-and-adventure-2007.html and https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.co...d-taillight-for-all-r1200gs-and-adv-2007.html

Its expensive but you only do it once? ;)

Your canbus is still going to have to be told that there is now an LED rear light installed......or you could just put up with the "lampr" on the display.

NO! The system is not that clever All you have to buy is an LED insert suitable for bikes with CanBus there are resistors mounted on the platform

The bikes Bulb monitor just works off resistances, LEDs have no real measurement of impendance as it is an "arc" so its either ridiculously high or very very small

SO the lamps will light as and when required whether its an LED or a Bulb, as there is no coded signal for these operations, just :-

send power to sidelamp circuit

and send power to brake lamp circuit

Thats as simple as it gets :aidan

Your canbus is still going to have to be told that there is now an LED rear light installed......or you could just put up with the "lampr" on the display.

I'm talking about that specific light unit.
I know there are spurious and 3rd party solutions.

I suppose resistors could be put in line between the BMW unit and the connector on the bike............ but the BMW rear light unit is not plug and play on the pre face lift GS.

Sent from a OnePlusX.

I fitted one of the BMW LED units and of course the light worked but my bike had to be plugged into the BMW system (50 quid in Maddocks....... thanks very much) to stop the lampr warning. It could not be done with GS911.

Sent from a OnePlusX.

Thanks for the input guys. Younger06 - I think I read your thread on the subject. The second one I listed from Hornig appears to be plug and play? Great if it is at that price.

There's lots of confusing info out there. But I don't fancy doing this again so I'm swaying towards LED.

Motorworks, sell two kinds secondhand; one with an additional wiring loom and surprisingly one without !

They also do their own (iirc) 57 led brake light adapter, which is p&p. It didn't need coded to the bike or throw up any warning.

The pre 2008 bikes need the additional looms, 2008 on just plug straight in.

The Motorworks adaptor loom contains resistors. To the bike's canbus, it looks like an ordinary bulb. A non error bulb/canbus compatible has resistors that do the same.

I've had an email from Hornig confirming they plug straight in and in the instructions provided they have an "integral kompensator". Seems a pretty easy swap (just 3 torx screws and 3 nuts?) so I've ordered one ...

if any one wants the pdf let me know

Mmmmm, there's some debate over that, we'll see ;)

lol whipped the lens of last night and the bulb isnt blown???

so i'm guessing one of the LED's on the front has .. or hasnt as the case may be ... its the poxy resistor thingy ...

I can live with lampf for the forseeable future ;)

Mart

yeah, mine is showing a lampr fault and the light works fine - its due to the lamp unit being very rusty I guess.

yeah, mine is showing a lampr fault and the light works fine - its due to the lamp unit being very rusty I guess.

I stripped the back end of my bike to have the frame powder coated. The rear light brackets were a mess of rust.

Back
Top Bottom