Sportster 48 v Dyna Low rider

Thanks Gyp, maybe a dyna is where I should start.

I am not entirely comfortable on the 48 or roadster and resent the fact I have to change things to make it so. Although I am being a bit precious, it may only be the bars on the roadster but its an expensive mistake if it isn't

Thanks Gyp, maybe a dyna is where I should start.

I am not entirely comfortable on the 48 or roadster and resent the fact I have to change things to make it so. Although I am being a bit precious, it may only be the bars on the roadster but its an expensive mistake if it isn't

From my own experience from a few years back, modifying a Harley to be just how you want it is a very expensive game with minimal reward.

I spent more than the list price of my 883 on the parts for a full 1200 SE conversion with SE heads, cams, carb, ignition etc, then front suspension and brakes from the Sport, Progressive rear, Harley forward controls, instruments, leather luggage, seat & sissy, screen etc and even a Harley cowbell horn. It was then just how I wanted it but due to the size constraints, not actually any good for when I wanted the other half on the back. I eventually sold it for little more than a used 883 was worth.

Hindsight taught me that if I'd spent the same money on trading up to a Dyna, I'd have got most of it back later.

I'm now looking to do the Harley thing again, but the lesson I've learnt is to get one as near as possible to the spec that you want to minimise additional spend, and it's a lot easier (& cheaper) to make a Dyna or a Softail fit a smaller person than make a Sportster fit a larger person.

Printed and saved for future use :D

Printed and saved for future use :D
Thanks Andy. I knew I could rely on you.

I've now looked at 4 Dynas with a view to purchase and so far managed to avoid buying any of them.

I suspect you know that the one that's most likely is of course the least appropriate, most overpriced one in a colour scheme that would be best described as metal flake flaming semen.

The other three are far better value, but are all either matt or gloss black and I just can't get excited about them in the same way as I can about the Bukkake Glide. I can get fairly excited by a 3 grand saving though...

Thanks Andy. I knew I could rely on you.

I've now looked at 4 Dynas with a view to purchase and so far managed to avoid buying any of them.

I suspect you know that the one that's most likely is of course the least appropriate, most overpriced one in a colour scheme that would be best described as metal flake flaming semen.

The other three are far better value, but are all either matt or gloss black and I just can't get excited about them in the same way as I can about the Bukkake Glide. I can get fairly excited by a 3 grand saving though...

Go for matt black and hope it goes unnoticed in the corner of the garage. Maybe if you throw a blanket over it nobody will know you've bought another Harley?

Go for matt black and hope it goes unnoticed in the corner of the garage. Maybe if you throw a blanket over it nobody will know you've bought another Harley?
So, buying a Sportster would be the right decision as its smaller and easier to hide in the garage...

It's not as much fun as you would think, mainly because it doesn't lean as much, brake feel is wooden and suspension is harsh, but it looks awesome.

What I think I want is a roadster with 48 bars, proper full front and rear mudguards/ fenders and dual clocks! Yep I am old!

I am struggling with this decision. I can't work out why a 1200R (with the same mileage as my 883r 14k) is about £5500-6000. It well over £1500 what my bike is worth for just an engine upgrade and some gearing changes.

By the time I get the suspension updated say £1000, then the different between that and a newer bike is 'only' around £1500-£2000. Is that right?

I am also not sure that the roadsters are doing as well as the 48s I would love to see the split in numbers sold.

I am struggling with this decision. I can't work out why a 1200R (with the same mileage as my 883r 14k) is about £5500-6000. It well over £1500 what my bike is worth for just an engine upgrade and some gearing changes.

By the time I get the suspension updated say £1000, then the different between that and a newer bike is 'only' around £1500-£2000. Is that right?

I am also not sure that the roadsters are doing as well as the 48s I would love to see the split in numbers sold.

But you will also need to upgrade the crappy suspension on the new bike you buy. Harley are only surpassed by BMW for the poor quality standard shocks they fit. Anyway you'll look a knob on a 48 - everybody does :D

For the kind of money you are talking about to buy a 48 you can get a very nice second hand Dyna.

There are loads out there that have had much love, polishing, dealer servicing and stupid extras bolted on for good money (especially now they've been dropped by the MoCo). Second hand HDs are pretty simple to run and most are built to do far more mileage than they actually get in Europe. Buy through a dealer if you want the peace of mind, then find a good indie to look after it for you. Customising it doesn't have to cost a huge amount if you go aftermarket either. If you are worried keep the original parts for when you want to sell it.

thanks Brut, havent subscribed this year, so will have to just not know about it. But I think you are right at this money I should consider the bigger bikes.

TBH the 883 is proving so much fun, I am not sure why I should change especially if the sportster range gets a whole new look in the 2019 model year.

Back
Top Bottom