Disappointed with my GS

Guys give it a break ,I said the GS was 'sluggish' not SLOW compared to the KTM and noisy ,I never said anything else and as I said before I'm not a quick rider, so I'm not trying to compare it to a Sportsbike !
To be honest I wish I'd never started this thread.
Livo

Press the Eject Button NOW..... Eject Eject.....

I had an LC for three years and it IS a slow bike. Lovely but slow. Torqey(ish) but slow!

Oh and heavy which adds to the slow factor!

It was daft, but my mate on his R1200GSA wanted to see how fast it was against my Kawasaki ZZR1400 Performance Sport. Just to see....

Well it was raining at the time and I could only open it up to around 80% throttle.

R1200GSA no chance. Not a chance. My ZZR1400 obliterated it, so easy.

But then last month I kept up with my 'enthusiastic' mate on his KTM SuperDuke R in the lanes one day on my R1200GSA Triple Black (and he's done a million track days). He was gobsmacked at how well the GS did keeping up (within sane riding at 80% commitment levels). So under 80 mph it'll hold it's own. That's quick in the lanes.

But after 100 mph it just doesn't have the umph that Sports or Superbikes have. It'll be left way back wheezing and clattering.

I still think the R1200GSA is a good bike though, and 'slow' is down to the rider unless you are on a straight line sprint.... and who does that?

I've also given an R1 a good run for its money on my Daytona 675R.... that was hilarious. Just keep away from 1 mile sprints.

But after 100 mph it just doesn't have the umph that Sports or Superbikes have. It'll be left way back wheezing and clattering.

I still think the R1200GSA is a good bike though, and 'slow' is down to the rider unless you are on a straight line sprint.... and who does that?

Upto 100mph... So apart from the Autobahn, the GS is plenty fast at any legal speed.

Just come back from a week in Spain/France with 2 1000cc sports bikes, 2 1290 superdukes, 2 KTM 1190, 1 Ducati pikes peak, 1 BMW 1000r and my '17 GS TE low chassis with full akro and hilltopped.
All the riders were of similar ability, active/retired track addicts. We tend not to go over 100mph (excl. sportbikes) as it gets too tiring if you are averaging 300mls a day on D roads
Sports bikes, goodbye, gone. Any road wet or dry.

The ktm 1290s have massive grunt and horse power, one of them has 2 teeth extra on the rear sprocket and will still hit 150mph and handling to match, no contest.

The GS will out grunt the 1000r but once it gets spinning it's off. Handling wise it's like the 1290s.

The ADV bikes.
Ducati with it's 17" front will steer the fastest round the hairpins and will have the best handling as it is good old fashioned non electronic Ohlins, engine wise it couldn't pull away from the GS up to 100mph after that I don't know.

The 1190s and the GS are an even match.

One trump for the GS is that it covered the same miles at the same speed as the others but consistantly used 15 to 20% less fuel, I think this is due to the Killer top gear roll on from 50 to 100mph meaning less gear changes.

If you put all the bikes on the track the GS would come last.

Conclusion A stage one tuned GS in normal road riding will be there or thereabouts with most bikes they each have thier own strenghs, one of the GS's is I can thrash round Spain and France with my mates then stick on the vario luggage and the wife and go and purr round France for 2 weeks in total comfort.

It all becomes a bit irrelevant really

If you are on a section of autobahn and are prepared to sit at 160 mph on your superbike then yes the GS is a slow bike that will be lagging far behind

Get on a good twisty A road and it wont be far behind over a decent distance and it is all about how fast you are actually prepared to go.

I went down a famous Scottish pass at a highly illegal speed on my XR I had a GSA sat with me all the way and after 20 miles he was a couple of seconds adrift, he must have been maxed out and i had many MPH left to spare but I was not prepared to go faster so as said.....

What MPG would you achieve at 160mph??

Would you get 50kms from a tank?

Sent from a OnePlusX.

My mate has a 1200GSA and my Crosstourer leaves him for dead on overtakes , and hooning out of a junction or a roundabout . However, on any given cross country route he'll piss all over me because the bike is quick enough and as we all knew covers ground astonishingly well . It helps that he's a much better rider than me too. It doesn't stop him occasionally saying over the intercom "bloody hell that things quick " when I decide to blow the cobwebs off . Heavens knows what a 1000XR or Multi feels like , but I bet after jumping off one they'd make a GS feel slow for sure :p

To be fair to the BMW dealer they got me a good price which softened the blow - I decided it was better to get it over and done with.

Life's too short, you made the right choice. And on that note, does anyone want to buy my 1 month old 2017 GSA TB with 3500 miles on it? :rolleyes:

So did you get it mapped ? im very interested to hear as My Rallye has now done 3600 miles and is just getting smoother and smoother the gear change is now superb using the clutch still as jerky as you like using the gear shift pro
so it might be nice to have a bit more rear wheel power to make the most of the bike
The later clocks are very slightly easier to read as they dont have the light coloured ring on the inside edge still not perfect but better but they should all have a decent gel seat im with you on that one
Engines are noisy but thats allegedly character LOL I say its just noisy
Rob

I've got a few bikes, ktm superduke 1290, zx10 track bike. Gs triple black 2016.

Each does its job so well. To be honest the ktm would tour brilliantly and would be amazing on alpine roads. I can't think of anything to touch it. Getting off that onto the gs is like going back in time to a much calmer, more sedate place. Zx10 even more so, shocking how slow the gs is after a day on track on the Kwaka.

However, on a bumpy old gritty c road I know what I would like to be on, and most probably the quickest. The zx10 would be in a hedge and the ktm would most likely have killed me.

I've recently switched from a 2014 Triumph Explorer XC to 2017 GSA. The Triumph engine is definitely far superior to the BMW and will leave it for dust on acceleration. However my view is that the BMW is a better all round package. Having toured most of Spain and France on my Triumph, with several fellow riders on GSs and GSAs, it was clear to me that for the type of riding we do, and that being fast to very fast touring on A roads, other than being a bit quicker out of some corners, the Triumph wasn't as good overall compared to the BMW, and that even came down to fuel consumption. I've only had my BMW a few days, but already it feels better, although that might be in part to the electronic suspension, whereas the Triumph had basic (new models have electric). I genuinely believe that unless your using autobahns then there isn't a lot in it amongst any of the adventurer trailies, except the BMW will hold a better resale value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're thinking of getting rid, because the bike gets hot, DON'T get a KTM 1290. I run a new GS Rallye, and a KTM 1290 Super Adventure S, and the KTM gets much hotter than the GS.

For the sake of £300, I'd recommend maybe a trip to Hilltop, which will get rid of some of the flat spots you may be experiencing.
New Hilltop Group Discount Dates: August 26th and September 16th. PM me and I'll send you details.
John S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, how did the OP get on at Hilltop? :nenau

Back
Top Bottom