problem showing a map on the device in Basecamp

If you dont need to plan routes then just ignore basecamp, CoPilot for iphone does not let you upload routes. Have a look at http://www.ultimateaddons.com/Cases They are pretty good.
Thanks everyone. I do need to plan routes but can do that much more easily in CoPilot directly than on a Nav6. Google maps for iPhone now lets you download maps, not tried it yet though. And I forgot that the iPhone 7 was waterproof. As soon as the sun is out I'll try my son's iPhone 7 for visibility on the road on the RT.

If you go down the iPhone route try the OSM based Pocket Earth app. I ditched Garmin and my PC and do all planning on iPad and let it sync in app to an iPhone 6. This has worked well around Europe and NZ

The vector maps are highly compressed so put as much on your iPhone as you wish. Routing and route changes however will need an internet connection back to the Mapquest routing engine

I use a cheap waterproof case from eBay on a RAM mounting. Sunlight is of course an issue with all smartphones so it needs some ingenuity to diy a shade

Attachments

• IMG_2047.jpg
    IMG_2047.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 83
No, I didn't. Tried deleting the cn maps and reinstalling, tried putting them on another card. Shows in Windows basecamp but not Mac basecamp. Other maps, like Maroc Topo and GB Discoverer show up fine.
Basecamp is already the latest one from the Garmin website. I use basecamp for all my route planning for several devices, so I'll just have to clear some space and install the maps direct on the Mac.

Here's a screen grab of the card in Finder, showing 2 maps - Topo Portugalv4, and the gmapsupp.img which is City Navigator 2018.1, together with a screen grab from Basecamp. No communication issues with the card, Topo Portugal reads fine, but no sign of City Navigator.

You could try and edit the map name from gmapsupp.img to gmapsupp1.img and see if that works, as you may already have a gmapsupp.img elsewhere.

Sadly, I could call it Fred and it still doesn't show. It was originally called CN2018.1 but I reinstalled it and left it gmapsupp. The card (not in the device, in a a card reader) is the only external device connected and all my other maps are named.

you are wrong, call your map fred.img and it will not work or even show up in maps installed on the unit, when you view installed maps on the nav from the nav it will not be there i assure you, but use the gmapsupp.img format and it will be there and work.
try it and see, you will be able to see it on your mac but the nav will not see it.

Hi Lee, I'm not sure what you're getting at here - doesn't matter what the filename is, the device picks up the embedded metadata and reads the map accordingly. Here's a screen grab from the device, with the CN maps which I called fred, visible in the device and correctly interpreted as City Navigator 2018.1. In fact, if you weren't able to rename the GMAPSUPP.IMG file, you would only be able to have one map per /garmin location.

Thanks for the offer Andy, now resolved and the CN2018.1 maps installed on an uSD card are readable in Basecamp Mac.

Then i have no idea because if i rename my map to anything else other than the gmapsup.img format it is not recognised on the unit (nav) when the map is on the sd card. in other words if i was to call my map fred.img the nav will not display it full stop. the fact that your nav is newer may be the reason yours does.

this is how mine displays when file name is changed

Attachments

• 131-07-2017 19-36-39.jpg
    131-07-2017 19-36-39.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 135
and when name is in gmapsup1.img format. it also will not display in basecamp when this naming format is not adheared to, this is where i thought your problem may be, but i am wrong, and the newer units must recognise file name changes.

You can see i have no map when renamed

and to get over only being able to have one map, you have to rename with the number 1 in place.

Attachments

• 42017-07-31 20.01.55.jpg
    42017-07-31 20.01.55.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 133
  • 31-07-2017 19-36-05.jpg
    31-07-2017 19-36-05.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 137
and when name is in gmapsup1.img format. it also will not display in basecamp when this naming format is not adheared to, this is where i thought your problem may be, but i am wrong, and the newer units must recognise file name changes.

You can see i have no map when renamed

and to get over only being able to have one map, you have to rename with the number 1 in place.

I don't understand that at all. You have renamed it, even if it's only to change one letter. Did you try changing the .unl file to the same filename as the map? Also, it works this way on all my devices, although the oldest of these now are the Montana's which are a few years old.

Here's the map showing up in Basecamp. It's on the card called No Name, and the file on the card is called fred.img. Basecamp reads the metadata and so calls it City Navigator Europe NTU 2018.1.
35488764953_aea5e50702.jpg

I don't understand that at all. You have renamed it, even if it's only to change one letter. Did you try changing the .unl file to the same filename as the map? Also, it works this way on all my devices, although the oldest of these now are the Montana's which are a few years old.

i was led to believe that this was the only naming format that the nav could read, a bit like the folder having to be called garmin before the nav would recognise it.

This page from garmin explains it and also confirms what i had said to be true, but also confirms that newer units do not conform to this format of naming. so it appears my info is now incorrect.

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/mac...ftware/installing-and-updating-maps-aa/14770-

appologies for the missinformation.
and the fix for you was???

Back
Top Bottom