SW Motech tank bags advice

@DC - it's the micro.

Glad I could be of help.

*off topic: Yes I REALLY miss my bike. Been off it for 10 days. Going to Motorrad days and not being on it was brutal, and this week I'm back in Romania at Electric Castle Festival; been festival living for two weeks. Treated myself to a hotel today, I turned on the tap and hot water came out. Did you know about this??
Transfargarasan road this week!

Take a look at the Ion 1, which has a transparent top pocket but is much the same size as the Daypack Evo. It has an expanding section and comes with a rain cover. Perfect size for wallet, phone, visor wipe etc. It costs a bit less than the Daypack too.

I think I have one of those lurking in my garage unused, but I think this model uses the older style tank ring and I'm not sure if there is one available for the GS.

I think I have one of those lurking in my garage unused, but I think this model uses the older style tank ring and I'm not sure if there is one available for the GS.

I think you can fit the old or new style tank rings, but I'm not positive as I use the old style fitting. It fits easily over the keyless petrol cap.

i will have the ring and Micro Bag this week so will fit and post some pics of how it looks ...for me its a temp feature for when i use a PMR radio and Sena SR10 so it won't be on all the time , hence not wanting a large bag.....personally tank bags look shit

Great timing on this thread, I too am looking at exactly the same thing. The very small 2L micro bag is ticking the boxes at present. I only require to pop in it, a PMR radio attached to a Sena SR10 . I'm hoping these will both fit in but until I source a local supplier , won't know.
Yes, it's correct that there's a different GS ring connector for keyless

They should fit fine, I use my micro for the exact same thing with the SR10 and PMR Radio. I can also get the phone and small odds and ends in as well.

as promised Rallye with SW Motech bag..its the smallest in the range the Micro, and is perfect for what I need to do with it .
smCgfy2.jpg
[/IMG]
hN5xlSB.jpg
[/IMG]

and My Ring piece.....thanks Fred
nqt71TD.jpg
[/IMG]

Very nice - the tank bag isn't bad either! The good thing with that system is that you could also get a larger bag if needed for long trips and can clip it onto the same base.

Good angle on the pic SE rider, actually shows how small the tank bag is

Neil you need some head protection mate ! When I ordered the rallye sport it came complete with the two seater set up , centre stand and taller screen. I preferred the look of small screen and single bench seat though. The two seater is far away more comfy, but the single is ok for local rides , 100 miles . Sorry going off topic. Let us know what bag set up you go for

I agree D.C. I'm going to order the MachineArt covers.

After everyone's help and advice......... I have ordered the small Motorrad GS tank bag. The SW Motech micro looks great on your bike. The problem is it is just a bit too small to carry the bits I want to carry.

On my previous TC I had the small GS tank bag and loved it. It held 5 liters and I could fit all the usual plus a stop and go puncture kit, small took kit and high viz vest for those days when I stay at a hotel for more than 1 night and want to go out without my panniers. Furthermore if I go away for just 2 nights I found the tank bag and a Kriega 10 perfect.

I am not too keen on the way the GS bag fits. It seems they have gone backwards. My old bikes GS bag had a neat system where the front had an elasticated hook which fixed to the VIN plate and then the bottom zipped to a pre installed tab. The current ones are all a bit too 'strappy' for my liking. That said I tried a friends Yamaha bag which is made by SW motech and is identical to the next size up, the Daypack. That just did not sit well on the tank. The GS bag obviously fits the tank perfectly.

The WC GS bag is 8ltrs so a tad bigger than I would like but it's actually cheaper than the Daypack (even before you spend £29 on the ring!). The GS bag is also waterproof.

I will post a photo next week when I get it. I already have the SW Motech tank ring for my keyless ride (Doh!) but I will keep it as I might still look to get the micro bag in the future for trips when I always have my panniers fitted and don't need so much capacity in my tank bag.

Neil

I went for the OEM bag in the end. Slightly larger than I planned but very happy with it. Very good quality, waterproof and the map "window" is deep so you can easily open a map book to the page you want and slip it inside.

Attachments

• IMG_1829.jpg
    IMG_1829.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1833.jpg
    IMG_1833.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 238
I bought one of these OEM bags recently. I also find the straps a bit annoying, and was amazed to find that BMW recommend removing the front strap if you ride the bike without the bag in case it interferes with the steering, though removal is virtually impossible without unscrewing the bracket it is fastened to. Instead, I stuck a piece of flat profile sleeving onto the front section of the tank just above the bracket which holds the strap, and put the front strap through that so it is retained in the correct position and doesn't flap around when the bag is not fitted.

The second problem I found was that the little metal clips, that fit in recesses ahead of the rider's seat to retain the rear strap assembly, would sometimes drop down when the bag was not fitted and they were not under tension. This lets the whole assembly come loose leaving it liable to fall off the bike. I don't know if you are supposed to stick the fabric section to the rubber pad at the back of the tank, but mine didn't come with any adhesive pads to do this, and I wouldn't really want it stuck on anyway, so what I have done is jam some foam rubber in the recesses under the metal clips so that they cannot drop down and disengage. When I don't have the bag on I tuck the rear straps under the points at the front of the seat

The final issue is that I found the shoulder strap would sometimes come loose and flap about even when I wrapped it around the back of the bag before setting off, so I now trap it under the rear straps when putting the bag on.

Apart from these minor issues, I'm very pleased with it! :)

Fred

looks fine that bag, not too big. nice one hope it does the job required for you

Fred, I had read elsewhere that folks had issues with the bit by the seat falling out the hooks when the bag is removed. I don't appear to have this issue as the Rallye seat holds the 'eyepatch' tight in situ so no probs there.

I found removing the front strap quite simple. Maybe you had an over engineered version.

As for the shoulder strap. I wil unclip it and put it in the bag so shouldn't experience the issues you have had :beerjug:

Cheers DC. Very happy with it.

Neil, what's. That tail pack you are using in Pic 1 ?

Kriega OS12. Fits nicely to the rear rack, 100% waterproof and big enough for a few nights away (providing you don't take the kitchen sink)

Attachments

• IMG_1627.jpg
    IMG_1627.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 191

Back
Top Bottom