Fork leg protection

Droopy Dick said:
Well, I never!

Mind you, it's known to a roadies everywhere as gaffer tape.

Or "THE FORCE" because it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together !! :D
black-duct-tape.jpg

Paul Young said:
Pukka carbon fibre fork protectors - extremely tough & look pretty good.....:cool: ....... been on for over two years now.

Is the single seat on your ADV an option or have you converted it yourself ? Mines a 05 model and like the idea of having a small amount of storage in its place . Is it possible to do this to mine ? :thumb

The bike's an '00 1150GS, not an Adventure, but with an Adventure tank fitted.

It's got to be fairly straightforward to swap an Adv to the dual seats, as plenty of people have done it the other way.......

HTH,

Hammerite smooth !

A bit of wet n' dry followed by half a tin of Hammerite smooth, just the job !

Attachments

• Jessies & Screen flow 001.jpg
    Jessies & Screen flow 001.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 425
Paul Young said:
The bike's an '00 1150GS, not an Adventure, but with an Adventure tank fitted.

It's got to be fairly straightforward to swap an Adv to the dual seats, as plenty of people have done it the other way.......

HTH,

It's the first one iv'e had , but there's only one seat looking point and its at the back . Still learning . Thanks James . :clap

Get a pair of neoprene Lizard Skins from Halfrauds. They are designed for pushbike chainguards but can be made to fit the forks of a GS with judicious use of a pair of scissors.

James Burton said:
It's the first one iv'e had , but there's only one seat looking point and its at the back . Still learning . Thanks James . :clap

If you use the "search" button & use Adventure/seat/conversion, you will probably find the details of someone who has done the conversion from GS to Adv. ISTR a thread a while ago which had a full photo record so the reverse will certainly be feasible.

HTH,

I have just purchased a sheet of "real carbon fibre sheeting" from Ebay.
It is strong,flexible,self adhesive and looks excellent. I haven't fitted it yet but I will post a photo once I have. I intend wrapping it round the anodised fork leg between the brace and wheel spindle carrier.

Ebay item number :- 8007704864.

That looks pretty good. I will probably get a sheet to do the fork legs as well.

Would be interested to see how you go about filling the reduced part of the fork leg between the parralever part and the bottom. I have read on here someone has used some rubber sheet to fill the gap.

Jon :thumb

Fork Lowers - Carbon Covers

Check these out: covers a bit pricey, but look the business - many more carbon parts on this site too : see here

Cheers,

I'm gonna go the hammerite route. :thumb

Seem to remember a similar thread a while ago and someone (think it was Steptoe ??) pointing out the issue is corrosion and that will be going on merrily uninterrupted behind whatever shields are fixed in place.

Just my 2p worth - but then I'm a lazy old git who rides every day year round and doesn't clean me bike any where near as often as I should.

each to his own I guess

Cheers :beer: Jim

Isn't paint a form of hiding it? Or are both trying to stop the damage to the surface finish that then allows the corrosion to take place? BTW I am deliberately ignoring intergranular and differential metal corrosion as neither will be prevented by a simple "surface" finish.

Halfords pushbike Lizard Skins on mine.

Attachments

• 2006_0128Image0005.JPG
    2006_0128Image0005.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 239
Nice one

Good one John.

John Armstrong said:
Isn't paint a form of hiding it? Or are both trying to stop the damage to the surface finish that then allows the corrosion to take place? BTW I am deliberately ignoring intergranular and differential metal corrosion as neither will be prevented by a simple "surface" finish.

I've used hammerite before on my old R80RT, it's good at covering, but it's not to everyone's taste.

Yer pays yer money & takes yer choice

Cheers,

Hi, :thumb
Cheapest method to protect the lower fork legs is to buy some plastic protective film, cut it to shape and stick it on. It protects against corrosion and road chips and, if put on carefully, is invisible. It can be bought in Iein Gericke for about £6 a sheet which will cover all of the lower fork legs.

:beerjug: :D

Lord Snooty said:
Halfords pushbike Lizard Skins on mine.

They don't fit the 1150GS with ABS, M'Lud. The ABS ring is too close to the fork leg.

Back to Halfords for a refund... :(

GlynnJ said:
They don't fit the 1150GS with ABS, M'Lud. The ABS ring is too close to the fork leg.

Back to Halfords for a refund... :(

Oh bugger, never mind :mmmm

I bought the clear plastic stuff especially for this, when the bike was new, I could see it coming you see - just never got round to fitting it in 3 years though and the corrosion is now beginning to form - b*gger :(

Only started to show up after the warranty expired and its only on the right-hand side fork leg, which I've never been able to work out especially as this is the 'high' side of the bike when its on its side stand and away from the crappy side of the road :mmmm

Back
Top Bottom