Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Five days in Romania

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ford View Post
    Great RR Donnie - very pleased that you enjoyed my adopted home country, and a nice change to hear some positive views on Romania.

I agree with almost all your comments. The stray dogs, though they are very rarely dangerous and will run at the first sign of being challenged, are a pain in the arse and help give the impression of a third world country. The standard of driving is generally appalling (the fatal accident rate, on a per 100,000 km basis, is four times the rate in UK) and use of mobile phones seems to be obligatory.

Pity you had shit weather, though again I'm in complete agreement. As I posted some time ago: "Transfagarașan has to be seen and done, but in my opinion, as a road for riding, Transalpina beats it hands down." However my most favouritist road is the one that you did as part of Day 3; the road from Slatina Timiș to Resiță is the TransSeminic - 50 km of biking nirvana (OK 40 km - the last 10 km or so into Resiță is in dire need of resurfacing. I know that 40 km is not a great distance, but you'll struggle to find a straight section of more than 100 m and there are hardly any other vehicles. As most of it is through forest, it's not possible to get the sort of photo's that one can get on the Transfagarașan/Transalpina. A couple of my pics:

A few miscellaneous comments:

• Accommodation is very cheap - this, coupled with the fact that there are very few campsites, means that camping is a crazy option;
    • The euro is not legal tender in Romania - nobody would expect shops or hotels in UK to accept euros and it's the same here. Further, there are ATM's everywhere and these will accept UK cards;
    • Speeding - out of the villages you're pretty safe (unless you're doing insane speeds). However in the villages stick to around 50 - 60 km/h, or "hide" behind a speeding car. Don't try to bribe your way out of a fine - this is not Ukraine or Russia;
    • Speed limit on roads outside of towns and villages is 100 km/h
    • Personally, I avoid riding at night - unexpected (large) pot holes and unlit horse-drawn carts being the main reasons.

Finally, a plug for my home city. The centre of Timișoara is well worth a visit:

In the five years that I've been here the centre has been transformed and is a very pleasant place to spend an afternoon and evening. I'm happy to offer free accommodation to individual tossers or to advise on accommodation for larger groups.

And the is cheap
    Sssssshhhhhh let's keep Romania a secret else every road will be full of Tossers !!

Freedom of speech and thought matters, especially when it is speech and thought with which we disagree. The moment the majority decides to destroy people for engaging in thought it dislikes, thought crime becomes a reality.
    Ben Shapiro

Too late to keep it secret, I went last summer and I'm planning to go late in September this year.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB_11 View Post
    Too late to keep it secret, I went last summer and I'm planning to go late in September this year.
    Cool , but don't tell anyone else will you ?
    Freedom of speech and thought matters, especially when it is speech and thought with which we disagree. The moment the majority decides to destroy people for engaging in thought it dislikes, thought crime becomes a reality.
    Ben Shapiro

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB_11 View Post

Genuine thanks to all contributors to this. Thats my August trip sorted.

Ill post a trip report too

Great RR Donnie - very pleased that you enjoyed my adopted home country, and a nice change to hear some positive views on Romania.

I agree with almost all your comments. The stray dogs, though they are very rarely dangerous and will run at the first sign of being challenged, are a pain in the arse and help give the impression of a third world country. The standard of driving is generally appalling (the fatal accident rate, on a per 100,000 km basis, is four times the rate in UK) and use of mobile phones seems to be obligatory.

Pity you had shit weather, though again I'm in complete agreement. As I posted some time ago: "Transfagarașan has to be seen and done, but in my opinion, as a road for riding, Transalpina beats it hands down." However my most favouritist road is the one that you did as part of Day 3; the road from Slatina Timiș to Resiță is the TransSeminic - 50 km of biking nirvana (OK 40 km - the last 10 km or so into Resiță is in dire need of resurfacing. I know that 40 km is not a great distance, but you'll struggle to find a straight section of more than 100 m and there are hardly any other vehicles. As most of it is through forest, it's not possible to get the sort of photo's that one can get on the Transfagarașan/Transalpina. A couple of my pics:

A few miscellaneous comments:

• Accommodation is very cheap - this, coupled with the fact that there are very few campsites, means that camping is a crazy option;
    • The euro is not legal tender in Romania - nobody would expect shops or hotels in UK to accept euros and it's the same here. Further, there are ATM's everywhere and these will accept UK cards;
    • Speeding - out of the villages you're pretty safe (unless you're doing insane speeds). However in the villages stick to around 50 - 60 km/h, or "hide" behind a speeding car. Don't try to bribe your way out of a fine - this is not Ukraine or Russia;
    • Speed limit on roads outside of towns and villages is 100 km/h
    • Personally, I avoid riding at night - unexpected (large) pot holes and unlit horse-drawn carts being the main reasons.

Finally, a plug for my home city. The centre of Timișoara is well worth a visit:

In the five years that I've been here the centre has been transformed and is a very pleasant place to spend an afternoon and evening. I'm happy to offer free accommodation to individual tossers or to advise on accommodation for larger groups.

And the is cheap
    Thanks Dave. The bad weatehr was only the one day so that's not bad. Just unfortunate that it was that particular day. Still, the sun shone for the Translpina and as you say, that's by far the better ride.

Glad that this has encouraged at least one other person to visit, I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

Donnie

Another plug for Timișoara

Announced this morning:

So now you can sit at one of the many terrace cafes and sip/gulp cold beer at around one pound for half a litre (7/8 of a pint for you Brexiteers) and admire the architecture or, more likely, the stunningly beautiful girls1 while you compose and upload your ride reports ....

1. As one of my British friends commented while visiting for the first time a few weeks ago, "Jesus, half these girls look like they've just stepped off a James Bond film set"

www.humvee-graphics.com Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Great RR and pics Donnie and some interesting and useful tips from yourself and other contributors to the thread, a great read
    A (possibly silly) question regarding the motorail if I may........a few of us are heading to Austria and Slovenia via France and Germany etc in early September we are getting the motorail back to Dusseldorf from Vienna, did you secure your bikes to the train yourselves or was this done for you?
    Visit our web shop for stickers/graphics/pannier wrap kits for your GS/Adventure bike
    web shop; www.humvee-graphics.com The originals and the best
    Limited range of our products available on e-bay, our shop; humveegraphics
    Facebook; http://www.facebook.com/humveegraphics

Quote Originally Posted by S92GS View Post
    Genuine thanks to all contributors to this. Thats my August trip sorted.

Ill post a trip report too
    Look forward to it .

Enjoy
    Ben Shapiro

Quote Originally Posted by 2 wheel humvee View Post
    we are getting the motorail back to Dusseldorf from Vienna, did you secure your bikes to the train yourselves or was this done for you?
    The staff strap the bikes down for you , we helped them unstrap them .

Make sure you wear your helmet riding your bike onto the train . As told earlier , I can imagine horrific head injuries if you catch your head on the very low roof .
    Ben Shapiro

1. As one of my British friends commented while visiting for the first time a few weeks ago, "Jesus, half these girls look like they've just stepped off a James Bond film set"
    Just like Cluj too .
    Ben Shapiro

Rambler Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Nice report Donnie, well done

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Great report, hoping to get as far as Romania in September depending on how much time we spend in Croatia, some useful info to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 2 wheel humvee View Post
    Great RR and pics Donnie and some interesting and useful tips from yourself and other contributors to the thread, a great read
    A (possibly silly) question regarding the motorail if I may........a few of us are heading to Austria and Slovenia via France and Germany etc in early September we are getting the motorail back to Dusseldorf from Vienna, did you secure your bikes to the train yourselves or was this done for you?
    As jetjock says, they have a gang that works its way along the train strapping the bikes down then another one at the other end to untie them. We left them too it as space is pretty tight.

On another note, I thought we'd be off within twenty minutes but it takes about 45mins as once all passengers are off, they have to move the train to the ramp area. This is on the same platform but they take their time so don't expect the slick efficiency of the eurotunnel.

Finally, the more stuff you can leave on your bike the better. Space is tight in the cabins. I crammed as much riding kit into my panniers as poss. Any soft luggage has to be removed from the bikes. Cabins take up to three people, or up to six if they double them up. If there were only two of you then obviously you'd have more storage room.

And they provide the straps.

www.humvee-graphics.com Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by jetjock View Post
    The staff strap the bikes down for you , we helped them unstrap them .

Make sure you wear your helmet riding your bike onto the train . As told earlier , I can imagine horrific head injuries if you catch your head on the very low roof .
    Duly noted thanks

Quote Originally Posted by donnie View Post
    As jetjock says, they have a gang that works its way along the train strapping the bikes down then another one at the other end to untie them. We left them too it as space is pretty tight.

On another note, I thought we'd be off within twenty minutes but it takes about 45mins as once all passengers are off, they have to move the train to the ramp area. This is on the same platform but they take their time so don't expect the slick efficiency of the eurotunnel.

Finally, the more stuff you can leave on your bike the better. Space is tight in the cabins. I crammed as much riding kit into my panniers as poss. Any soft luggage has to be removed from the bikes. Cabins take up to three people, or up to six if they double them up. If there were only two of you then obviously you'd have more storage room.
    Thanks donnie

Quote Originally Posted by donnie View Post
    And they provide the straps.
    I suspected that might be the case, thanks again
    Visit our web shop for stickers/graphics/pannier wrap kits for your GS/Adventure bike
    web shop; www.humvee-graphics.com The originals and the best
    Limited range of our products available on e-bay, our shop; humveegraphics
    Facebook; http://www.facebook.com/humveegraphics

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast