Death of a GS

Sorry for the wrong assumptions then.

What about wrong gear to much punch out the corner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rd gear throttle set (sat nav plot says 3 seconds before speed 39mph and 3 before that 38mph, no brake no heavy throttle, back tyre not flat still at full pressure.

We'd better get 'Steve' there .... he'll be ready for another beer or five :thumb

:beerjug:
Please don't let it be the tyres as I was just about to have Roadtecs fitted to my GSA and they look like Roadtecs :(

Please don't let it be the tyres as I was just about to have Roadtecs fitted to my GSA and they look like Roadtecs :(

They were PR4 IIRC

I made it round the corner on roadtecs :D

it really was one of those unexplained crashes

Not over fast as seen by the data on sat nav i was the bike in front and was probably a shade faster on the XR but the other GSs all made it at similar speed on similar lines, no braking or over throttle in the bend smooth lines in, looking round the bend

it is to this day puzzling and of course puzzling as to why the traction control didn't get hold of it as it was a rear slide that was unrecoverable into low side and game over.

One of the reasons i asked the fork stanchion question on a different thread

I cannot tell you how upset i was that my mate had this happen to him and how relieved i was to see him alive.

The other bastards on the trip were stripping bits off his bike before the recovery truck arrived

I also want to add that the lad is a very good and experienced rider who i have followed many times at greater speed and sharper bends with no issues.

It was after lunch and we had steadied the day down from the mornings much higher speed efforts

Nothing leaking on to the back tyre?

Nothing that we could see

9b35c9c9fde05a850fa507eb1ec6418b.jpg

Dont suppose it was a case of recently laid stone mastic asphalt (SMA)?

No the surface was good

The only theory i really have is

There was a left hander a very slight crest with a bit of rough road ( sort of badly laid surface) just before the right hander and i think ( my own theory only) is that the bike compressed suspension as it was tipped into the right, stand or peg dug in a bit and lifted the rear a bit and game over.

Bt as said I have followed that bike round tighter corners at higher speed and seen no issues that i have described above so it is still a mystery and other than some catastrophic failure of something, which will be impossible to tell due to the damage from impact, we and by we i mean the rider the ex copper that was following and myself have no idea

Other than that

just hope its nothing to do with this recall on the forks , have you sorted steve getting himself and the bike home ok ?

Glad Steve's ok, must have been near the mark on loosing grip, in this case just over, we've all been there & judging by the look of the back tyre fucking hell.. (sweat)
The roads in the pico's are great, but a single stone on a different line to the guy ahead can be trouble if your already pushing it..

Back
Top Bottom