Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week in Harrogate local route recomendations please

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Week in Harrogate local route recomendations please

Week in Harrogate local route recomendations please.

Myself and my wife have a weeks accommodation booked in Harrogate during September, would be grateful for some local knowledge/recommendations for routes throughout the area, no massive daily mileages please, we normally like to do 2 or 3 hours in the morning then stop for lunch in a nice town/village (again your recommendations welcome) then another couple of hours, enjoy roads with a view, nice lanes old "time stood still" villages/towns (no off road) like to find places of interest to have a walk round and chill out. not looking for high speed peg down curves. looking more at routes west and north of Harrogate, but consider any recommendations. also looking for some day out walking routes close to the town, tourist information will obviously help with this but again I value local knowledge.

Wapping will be here to tell me to use the search function on here in a min, I have pinched a few pointers for previous trips to Europe from his posts.

I'm not lazy but I am short on time to do the research and also believe you can't beat local knowledge for pointing out the little easily missed details which make your day that bit more special.
    Don't wait for your ship to come in....swim out and meet the bloody thing."
    Barry Sheene RIP 1950-2003

Calling Johnny Boxer
    Just a Prospect at the moment

Just head out into the Dales and bimble around you cant go too wrong
    Avoid the biker cafe in Hawes and head up to the Wenslydale creamery, its much better.

Pately Bridge is nice and has the oldest sweetshop in England

Kettlewell is lovely, have a picnic by the River

some great roads to ride but mind the increase in Scamera vans

Berry's farm shop and cafe is also very good
    Aysgarth falls worth a look if you like that sort of thing

If it were me i would look at Harrogate to Pately Bridge on the A59/ B6451 then on to Grassington then Kettlewell then through Starbottom, Outershaw and Hawes

Then A864 and the B6259 to Nateby. B6270 then onto the buttertub pass and back into Hawes then back to Harrogate

Great day out that

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    Just head out into the Dales and bimble around you cant go too wrong
    Avoid the biker cafe in Hawes and head up to the Wenslydale creamery, its much better.

Pately Bridge is nice and has the oldest sweetshop in England

Kettlewell is lovely, have a picnic by the River

some great roads to ride but mind the increase in Scamera vans

Berry's farm shop and cafe is also very good
    Aysgarth falls worth a look if you like that sort of thing

If it were me i would look at Harrogate to Pately Bridge on the A59/ B6451 then on to Grassington then Kettlewell then through Starbottom, Outershaw and Hawes

Then A864 and the B6259 to Nateby. B6270 then onto the buttertub pass and back into Hawes then back to Harrogate

Great day out that
    All of that

OP, buy a map and use it to plan...............all the best roads are on the OS Map
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

It's starbotton.....

Quote Originally Posted by 2gses View Post
    It's starbotton.....
    So it is, fat fingers !

Don't forget the road from Hawes to the Ribblehaed viaduct and then Malham Tarn

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    All of that

OP, buy a map and use it to plan...............all the best roads are on the OS Map
    JohnnyB

Agree, I will be referring to my maps but like local input from you guys who know the area, its worked very well for me in the past, I have had some great rides with the aid of local knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    So it is, fat fingers !

Don't forget the road from Hawes to the Ribblehaed viaduct and then Malham Tarn
    Rick

Thanks for the info just the sort of pointers I need keep it coming.

A59 has a load of scammera vans on be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by andyscott View Post
    A59 has a load of scammera vans on be careful.
    And is one of the roads to avoid, along with the A65

Just search the "21 Dales" thread on this forum and plan a few routes based around that. You can't go far wrong

If you're after a pub lunch in a beautiful location, I'd highly recommend the following:

Litton: http://queensarmslitton.co.uk/
    Appletreewick http://www.craven-cruckbarn.co.uk/
    Malham: https://www.thwaites.co.uk/hotels-an...UI8gQodmqYL4A#

And this is a great cake and sandwich stop in Reeth: https://www.dalesbikecentre.co.uk/pa...afe-and-cakery

The Dales get quieter the further north you go. Try a run out through Swaledale and Arkengarthdale up to Tan Hill (highest English pub). You could then cross over the A66 into the North Pennines.

If you fancy the coast head towards Thirsk and into the North Yorks Moors. Whitby is worth a view. Again these roads can have the speed vans out.

Enjoy.

A couple of my favorites.

Harrogate-Skipton-Settle-Horton in Ribblesdale-Hawes-Leyburn-Middleham-Masham-Ripon.
    Harrogate-Ripon-Thirsk-Helmsley-Pickering-Whitby (via Fylingdales).

Please take the advice about cameras seriously...They're everywhere in North Yorkshire at the moment, not just on main routes.

Quote Originally Posted by DAEDALUS View Post
    A couple of my favorites.

Harrogate-Skipton-Settle-Horton in Ribblesdale-Hawes-Leyburn-Middleham-Masham-Ripon.
    Harrogate-Ripon-Thirsk-Helmsley-Pickering-Whitby (via Fylingdales).

Please take the advice about cameras seriously...They're everywhere in North Yorkshire at the moment, not just on main routes.
    I'd seriously avoid the roads marked in red as they're heavily congested and, as they're wide open roads, they're only fun at very high speeds which you can't get away with nowadays

Here's a much better route from Harrogate to Horton-in-Ribblesdale with some stunning scenery
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Big Thanks to you all
    Said it before you just can't find any better help with the trip planning, Local Knowledge from you guys who know the area always works for me when ever I ask about any area I intend to visit, thanks again and keep it coming.

How Sten gorge has a nice little café then go from lofthouse up tapping lane and over to Masham very scenic. Another little tea room is Cock pit farm only open Thursday to Sunday 11-4. If you take the back roads to Bolton and grassington etc beware of the cyclists as there are always some on these narrow roads again scenic but slow. another unusual café is at Stroriths, 'Buffers coffee shop. Its a quirky spot with model trains running around upstairs. all of these can be found on Google maps. My fav route is from Settle to Selside up to Ribblehead then across to Hawes. Then back towards Menwith Hill (American Giant golf balls) passed the Sun Inn at Fewston down Norwood over Lindley reservoir , Then you can pick up back to Harrogate.

Enjoy your stay in God's County

Quote Originally Posted by Teamleader View Post
    How Sten gorge has a nice little café then go from lofthouse up tapping lane and over to Masham very scenic. Another little tea room is Cock pit farm only open Thursday to Sunday 11-4. If you take the back roads to Bolton and grassington etc beware of the cyclists as there are always some on these narrow roads again scenic but slow. another unusual café is at Stroriths, 'Buffers coffee shop. Its a quirky spot with model trains running around upstairs. all of these can be found on Google maps. My fav route is from Settle to Selside up to Ribblehead then across to Hawes. Then back towards Menwith Hill (American Giant golf balls) passed the Sun Inn at Fewston down Norwood over Lindley reservoir , Then you can pick up back to Harrogate.

Enjoy your stay in God's County
    Thank you for your input Teamleader
    We will be up there next week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast