Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 18

Thread: Week in Harrogate local route recomendations please

  1. #1
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NORFOLK
    Posts
    180

    Week in Harrogate local route recomendations please

    Week in Harrogate local route recomendations please.

    Myself and my wife have a weeks accommodation booked in Harrogate during September, would be grateful for some local knowledge/recommendations for routes throughout the area, no massive daily mileages please, we normally like to do 2 or 3 hours in the morning then stop for lunch in a nice town/village (again your recommendations welcome) then another couple of hours, enjoy roads with a view, nice lanes old "time stood still" villages/towns (no off road) like to find places of interest to have a walk round and chill out. not looking for high speed peg down curves. looking more at routes west and north of Harrogate, but consider any recommendations. also looking for some day out walking routes close to the town, tourist information will obviously help with this but again I value local knowledge.

    Wapping will be here to tell me to use the search function on here in a min, I have pinched a few pointers for previous trips to Europe from his posts.

    I'm not lazy but I am short on time to do the research and also believe you can't beat local knowledge for pointing out the little easily missed details which make your day that bit more special.
    Don't wait for your ship to come in....swim out and meet the bloody thing."
    Barry Sheene RIP 1950-2003

  2. #2
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Doncaster, England
    Posts
    12,363
    Calling Johnny Boxer
    Just a Prospect at the moment

  3. #3
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Doncaster, England
    Posts
    12,363
    Just head out into the Dales and bimble around you cant go too wrong
    Avoid the biker cafe in Hawes and head up to the Wenslydale creamery, its much better.

    Pately Bridge is nice and has the oldest sweetshop in England

    Kettlewell is lovely, have a picnic by the River

    some great roads to ride but mind the increase in Scamera vans

    Berry's farm shop and cafe is also very good
    Aysgarth falls worth a look if you like that sort of thing

    If it were me i would look at Harrogate to Pately Bridge on the A59/ B6451 then on to Grassington then Kettlewell then through Starbottom, Outershaw and Hawes

    Then A864 and the B6259 to Nateby. B6270 then onto the buttertub pass and back into Hawes then back to Harrogate

    Great day out that
    Just a Prospect at the moment

  4. #4
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    31,242
    Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    Just head out into the Dales and bimble around you cant go too wrong
    Avoid the biker cafe in Hawes and head up to the Wenslydale creamery, its much better.

    Pately Bridge is nice and has the oldest sweetshop in England

    Kettlewell is lovely, have a picnic by the River

    some great roads to ride but mind the increase in Scamera vans

    Berry's farm shop and cafe is also very good
    Aysgarth falls worth a look if you like that sort of thing

    If it were me i would look at Harrogate to Pately Bridge on the A59/ B6451 then on to Grassington then Kettlewell then through Starbottom, Outershaw and Hawes

    Then A864 and the B6259 to Nateby. B6270 then onto the buttertub pass and back into Hawes then back to Harrogate

    Great day out that
    All of that

    OP, buy a map and use it to plan...............all the best roads are on the OS Map
    JohnnyBoxer



    So many roads...........So little time......

  5. #5
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North yorks
    Posts
    283
    It's starbotton.....

  6. #6
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Doncaster, England
    Posts
    12,363
    Quote Originally Posted by 2gses View Post
    It's starbotton.....
    So it is, fat fingers !

    Don't forget the road from Hawes to the Ribblehaed viaduct and then Malham Tarn
    Just a Prospect at the moment

  7. #7
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NORFOLK
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    All of that

    OP, buy a map and use it to plan...............all the best roads are on the OS Map
    JohnnyB

    Agree, I will be referring to my maps but like local input from you guys who know the area, its worked very well for me in the past, I have had some great rides with the aid of local knowledge.
    Don't wait for your ship to come in....swim out and meet the bloody thing."
    Barry Sheene RIP 1950-2003

  8. #8
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NORFOLK
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    So it is, fat fingers !

    Don't forget the road from Hawes to the Ribblehaed viaduct and then Malham Tarn
    Rick

    Thanks for the info just the sort of pointers I need keep it coming.
    Don't wait for your ship to come in....swim out and meet the bloody thing."
    Barry Sheene RIP 1950-2003

  9. #9
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    766
    A59 has a load of scammera vans on be careful.

  10. #10
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Haworth, Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,162
    Quote Originally Posted by andyscott View Post
    A59 has a load of scammera vans on be careful.
    And is one of the roads to avoid, along with the A65

    Just search the "21 Dales" thread on this forum and plan a few routes based around that. You can't go far wrong

    If you're after a pub lunch in a beautiful location, I'd highly recommend the following:

    Litton: http://queensarmslitton.co.uk/
    Appletreewick http://www.craven-cruckbarn.co.uk/
    Malham: https://www.thwaites.co.uk/hotels-an...UI8gQodmqYL4A#

    And this is a great cake and sandwich stop in Reeth: https://www.dalesbikecentre.co.uk/pa...afe-and-cakery

  11. #11
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Drigdale
    Posts
    6,769
    The Dales get quieter the further north you go. Try a run out through Swaledale and Arkengarthdale up to Tan Hill (highest English pub). You could then cross over the A66 into the North Pennines.

    If you fancy the coast head towards Thirsk and into the North Yorks Moors. Whitby is worth a view. Again these roads can have the speed vans out.

    Enjoy.

  12. #12
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Fewston, England
    Posts
    79
    A couple of my favorites.

    Harrogate-Skipton-Settle-Horton in Ribblesdale-Hawes-Leyburn-Middleham-Masham-Ripon.
    Harrogate-Ripon-Thirsk-Helmsley-Pickering-Whitby (via Fylingdales).

    Please take the advice about cameras seriously...They're everywhere in North Yorkshire at the moment, not just on main routes.

  13. #13
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Haworth, Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,162
    Quote Originally Posted by DAEDALUS View Post
    A couple of my favorites.

    Harrogate-Skipton-Settle-Horton in Ribblesdale-Hawes-Leyburn-Middleham-Masham-Ripon.
    Harrogate-Ripon-Thirsk-Helmsley-Pickering-Whitby (via Fylingdales).

    Please take the advice about cameras seriously...They're everywhere in North Yorkshire at the moment, not just on main routes.
    I'd seriously avoid the roads marked in red as they're heavily congested and, as they're wide open roads, they're only fun at very high speeds which you can't get away with nowadays

    Here's a much better route from Harrogate to Horton-in-Ribblesdale with some stunning scenery
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  14. #14
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NORFOLK
    Posts
    180
    Big Thanks to you all
    Said it before you just can't find any better help with the trip planning, Local Knowledge from you guys who know the area always works for me when ever I ask about any area I intend to visit, thanks again and keep it coming.
    Don't wait for your ship to come in....swim out and meet the bloody thing."
    Barry Sheene RIP 1950-2003

  15. #15
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Leeds, England
    Posts
    70
    How Sten gorge has a nice little café then go from lofthouse up tapping lane and over to Masham very scenic. Another little tea room is Cock pit farm only open Thursday to Sunday 11-4. If you take the back roads to Bolton and grassington etc beware of the cyclists as there are always some on these narrow roads again scenic but slow. another unusual café is at Stroriths, 'Buffers coffee shop. Its a quirky spot with model trains running around upstairs. all of these can be found on Google maps. My fav route is from Settle to Selside up to Ribblehead then across to Hawes. Then back towards Menwith Hill (American Giant golf balls) passed the Sun Inn at Fewston down Norwood over Lindley reservoir , Then you can pick up back to Harrogate.

    Enjoy your stay in God's County

  16. #16
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NORFOLK
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamleader View Post
    How Sten gorge has a nice little café then go from lofthouse up tapping lane and over to Masham very scenic. Another little tea room is Cock pit farm only open Thursday to Sunday 11-4. If you take the back roads to Bolton and grassington etc beware of the cyclists as there are always some on these narrow roads again scenic but slow. another unusual café is at Stroriths, 'Buffers coffee shop. Its a quirky spot with model trains running around upstairs. all of these can be found on Google maps. My fav route is from Settle to Selside up to Ribblehead then across to Hawes. Then back towards Menwith Hill (American Giant golf balls) passed the Sun Inn at Fewston down Norwood over Lindley reservoir , Then you can pick up back to Harrogate.

    Enjoy your stay in God's County
    Thank you for your input Teamleader
    We will be up there next week.
    Don't wait for your ship to come in....swim out and meet the bloody thing."
    Barry Sheene RIP 1950-2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Anyone attending a Ride Out or Event organised through the UKGSer Forums does so at their own risk.
UKGSer.com or anyone organising an event posted here will not be held responsible in any way for damage or personal injury sustained while attending any such events.

Members attending any such event do so at their own risk.

The text, images, graphics, sound files, animation files, video files, and their arrangement on this Website are all subject to copyright and other intellectual property protection. These objects may not be copied for commercial use or distribution, nor may these objects be modified or reposted to other sites without prior written permission.

Disclaimer: Use or depiction of the BMW logo or trademark throughout this web site is for illustrative and editorial purposes only, and to the benefit of the trademark owner, with no intention of infringement of the trademark.

The UKGSer Forums may include adult content for which it cannot be held responsible. Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the UKGSER network privacy policy

"Its about being a grown up hooligan - and if that means a dark visor, remus open pipe and a bit of speeding out of town then all well and good"